The Student Room Group

Eating disorder(s)

Basically, I'm worried that I have an eating disorder. I don't eat breakfast, or lunch, or anything until about 5 p.m. really. And whenever I do have something I induce vomiting to lessen the 'effects'.

I'm terrified of gaining weight and whenever I eat a "large" amount (which would probably be seen as a normal/small amount by other people) I feel ... just wrong really. I'm wondering if, to impartial eyes, this looks like the normal actions/insecurities of a teenage girl or if it looks like I have a problem. Personally, I don't even know anymore.

I welcome all and any response. :redface:
Reply 1
^ That was meant to be anon. but whatever, it's not a big secret I have this kind of problem so please, carry on with the replies...
Reply 2
You know this isn't normal behaviour. If it was normal then the majority of people would be doing it. They aren't. Eating disorder ahoy.
Reply 3
By starving yourself you slow your metabolism down, so when you do start to eat normally you will gain weight faster
Reply 4
i think you might have an eating disorder, can you talk to your mum or a close friend about it? :hugs:
Reply 5
hanby
Basically, I'm worried that I have an eating disorder. I don't eat breakfast, or lunch, or anything until about 5 p.m. really. And whenever I do have something I induce vomiting to lessen the 'effects'.

I'm terrified of gaining weight and whenever I eat a "large" amount (which would probably be seen as a normal/small amount by other people) I feel ... just wrong really. I'm wondering if, to impartial eyes, this looks like the normal actions/insecurities of a teenage girl or if it looks like I have a problem. Personally, I don't even know anymore.

I welcome all and any response. :redface:

i think you are bulimic. i am certain you have an eating disorder. google the symptoms of 'eating disorders' and see if any of it sounds familiar.

do you go through a 'binge/purge' cycle where you eat a lot, feel awful and then throw-up or exercise strenuously before repeating the cycle again?

eating disorders are so 'mainstream' now, ( a sad thing to say, but it's also true) that you most likely won't meet any stigma if you tell a teacher or a ''trusted adult.'' (hate that phrase.lol) i would be wary of telling your friends unless you're certain they can be trusted. gossip spreads.

people can get better. my mum and sister did and if you try, you can too. you can still make an effort to stay slim- but will be doing it the healthy way. good luck x
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for replies.

I do have friends that I would trust with my life, and I know I could also talk to my mum or sister, all without judgment. The thing stopping me, and as terrible and vain and selfish as it sounds, is I know if I told them they would try to make me eat in a healthy way, which, sad to say, I am scared will lead to me gaining weight. I seem to have lost all perspective on normal habits!!
it isnt normal-i had one once and i dont like admitting-if your worried tell someone
Reply 8
hanby
Thanks everyone for replies.

I do have friends that I would trust with my life, and I know I could also talk to my mum or sister, all without judgment. The thing stopping me, and as terrible and vain and selfish as it sounds, is I know if I told them they would try to make me eat in a healthy way, which, sad to say, I am scared will lead to me gaining weight. I seem to have lost all perspective on normal habits!!

no. i totally understand. i suffer from this disorder whereby i think i'm ugly when i'm not, but i don't want therapy because i still want to spend my money on plastic surgery. that's kind of similar to you- i want to get better, but i still don't quite get that my main problem is my irrationality and not my appearance. you get caught up in it all.

you can stay slim eating healthily. have you had trouble doing so in the past?
Reply 9
It seems like youve taken a good first step in recognizing theres a problem and sharing it, even if only online. You do have an eating disorder and should start eating more gradually each day so as not to shock your system. Try just eating fruit or carrot sticks throughout the day- theyre nutritious and really low calorie. If you carry on as you are going, you will be prone to all sorts of health problems- weakened bones, hair loss, heart problems, the list goes on. Get healthy!!!
i refused treatment for this for a good while because i was terrified therapists would make me put on weight n it seemed like all the crap u went through to lose the weight would be for nothing... it's ridiculous i no but there's no logic to bulimia... anyway i eventually got help and three years later im heavier (not unhealthily) but no longer vomiting 3 times a day. Which one would you prefer considering the damage you are doing your body. It's nice not to have your hair falling out and your skin constantly blotchy... not to mention the constant bowel pain. plus guys like girls with curves! I would urge you to talk to someone as scary as it seems, it's the first step to getting better. Good luck:smile:
I know what you mean about losing perspective in normal habits honey, I've been feeling that for a while now! I'm not sure whether you have full blown bulimia, but more anorexia with a tendancy to purge?! That's probably not a real term I know, but what you've described as your typical meal isn't a binge. I have a very similar condition to you, anorexia with bulimic tendancies..I also tend to eat in the afternoon or little bits throughout the day. But it's really not healthy (and I think you know this, because you have recognised you have a problem), for your mind if nothing else. Do you feel manic, thinking about food all day long until you eat? And then the guilt of eating kicks in and you purge? It's really no way to live and it will only get worse if you leave it. I tried to ignore mine for a while and now I am addicted to laxatives, over-exercise, avoid carbs, know the calorie intake for most foods, eat very little, and self harm. Getting help (in the form of e.d therapy) is one of the best things I have ever done - even though recovery is a slow proccess I believe I will get there in the end - and so will you! :smile:
I dont think we can say conclusively you have an eating disorder, i will say your eating pattern is very abnormal anyone can see that, i would say i think seeing a professional is the best way and a proper diagnosis being made from this, see your gp you need to get this sorted out.
It sounds like you probably do have an ED. If you want to recover then the best thing to do would be to talk to someone you trust about it. I can understand why you don't want to though. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending