The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
True, but I'm haven't learnt maths to a particularly high level therefore would need to learn both maths and physics for the BMAT to apply there, although I would love to study graduate-entry medicine at Oxbridge.

I'm in the same boat regarding the BMAT. Hoping to avoid it but it's tempting!
Original post by Rebecca Jayne
I'm in the same boat regarding the BMAT. Hoping to avoid it but it's tempting!

I agree, if I can somehow learn some maths and do well in A-level Chemistry I will give it a shot, because although technically every medical school is the same, Oxbridge are the best in the world.
Reply 302
I agree, if I can somehow learn some maths and do well in A-level Chemistry I will give it a shot, because although technically every medical school is the same, Oxbridge are the best in the world.

Good luck! Certainly not an easy task by any means but the reward speaks for itself and hey! It is Medicine after all! It could never be simple! :tongue:
True, but I'm haven't learnt maths to a particularly high level therefore would need to learn both maths and physics for the BMAT to apply there, although I would love to study graduate-entry medicine at Oxbridge.

I didn't think grads had to sit BMAT? It's entirely based on academics and experience.
Reply 304
Original post by Quilverine
I didn't think grads had to sit BMAT? It's entirely based on academics and experience.

From Oxford's page:
"Additionally all applicants for Medicine (including graduates) are required to take the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) in their own school or college, or in a registered test centre, as part of their application."

From Oxford's page:
"Additionally all applicants for Medicine (including graduates) are required to take the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) in their own school or college, or in a registered test centre, as part of their application."

This

Everyone who applied for GEM has good academics and experience, an admissions test is a necessity for medicine due to it's immensely competitive nature and to ensure that one is of sufficient scholastic excellence to be able to cope with the workload, especially and one has to learn 2 years worth of work in one year.

You don't need BMAT for GEM at Cambridge. However, this year to be invited to interview people needed A*AA at A level, unless they had a 1st in their first degree.
Original post by NHSFan
You don't need BMAT for GEM at Cambridge. However, this year to be invited to interview people needed A*AA at A level, unless they had a 1st in their first degree.

That's wonderful news, although I swear it must have been recently changed :s-smilie:
Reply 308
This

Everyone who applied for GEM has good academics and experience, an admissions test is a necessity for medicine due to it's immensely competitive nature and to ensure that one is of sufficient scholastic excellence to be able to cope with the workload, especially and one has to learn 2 years worth of work in one year.

Original post by NHSFan

I was sure that I'd read it on Oxford's website so just double checked and found that. However, like you said, Cambridge could very well be different. I hadn't checked their requirements -good to know though, thanks! :smile:
I was sure that I'd read it on Oxford's website so just double checked and found that. However, like you said, Cambridge could very well be different. I hadn't checked their requirements -good to know though, thanks! :smile:

For GEM you do have to take the BMAT for Oxford but you definitely don't for Cambridge,
Reply 310
Original post by NHSFan
For GEM you do have to take the BMAT for Oxford but you definitely don't for Cambridge,

Is there a reason Cambridge don't use it? Obviously, it's not necessarily a bad thing for GEM applicants but seems strange that Oxford still insists on the completion of BMAT whilst Cambridge don't.
Is there a reason Cambridge don't use it? Obviously, it's not necessarily a bad thing for GEM applicants but seems strange that Oxford still insists on the completion of BMAT whilst Cambridge don't.

The Oxford course is quite different to Cambridge. They have an emphasis on producing academics rather than clinicians. I'm over simplifying it but read the course details for each programme. Both attract very high calibre applicants but Cambridge has a more holistic approach to screening. Once you've proved academic ability through degrees and A Levels they want good references and a wealth of work experience. Oxford value a BMAT score and things like publications and evidence of rigorous scientific investigation from a lab science degree. Their GEM miss a whole pre-clinical year so the BMAT can help show you have the knowledge foundation. Cambridge pack a lot into an extended first year. You don't miss so much of the A100 curriculum, that's why they accept Arts grads.

Obviously it'stimportant to apply tactically but try find courses that would suit how you learn and the sort of clinician you want to be.

For me SGUL and Warwick are the best fit for my learning style but I can't afford the GAMSAT for now so I am focussing on Warwick.
Reply 312
The Oxford course is quite different to Cambridge. They have an emphasis on producing academics rather than clinicians. I'm over simplifying it but read the course details for each programme. Both attract very high calibre applicants but Cambridge has a more holistic approach to screening. Once you've proved academic ability through degrees and A Levels they want good references and a wealth of work experience. Oxford value a BMAT score and things like publications and evidence of rigorous scientific investigation from a lab science degree. Their GEM miss a whole pre-clinical year so the BMAT can help show you have the knowledge foundation. Cambridge pack a lot into an extended first year. You don't miss so much of the A100 curriculum, that's why they accept Arts grads.

Obviously it'stimportant to apply tactically but try find courses that would suit how you learn and the sort of clinician you want to be.

For me SGUL and Warwick are the best fit for my learning style but I can't afford the GAMSAT for now so I am focussing on Warwick.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info. I was just curious to see if it was something that set them apart from each other for a reason. Quite interesting I guess.
It would also open up Cambridge.

There was me thinking I might be in with a chance, you need all three sciences at AS/A-level science or two and Maths :frown:
Hi guys, i am planning to sit the Gamsat ireland in 2016 for 2017 entry. one of the options is to sit the exam in London, but they havn't provided an address for where the test may be. Does anyone know what part of london it may be?
Original post by tehreem5
Hi guys, i am planning to sit the Gamsat ireland in 2016 for 2017 entry. one of the options is to sit the exam in London, but they havn't provided an address for where the test may be. Does anyone know what part of london it may be?

They don't tell you until 2 weeks before the exam annoyingly!
Reply 316
Original post by tehreem5

With GAMSAT, you very much need to be prepared and ready for whatever! They release the address late and only have one date to sit it (excl. Ireland of course.) :smile:
Original post by NHSFan

Sorry just a quick question, where did people find out about the A*AA pre-requisite? I've had a search round the main Cambridge website and the Colleges and can't see it written anywhere?

Think this might well mean Cambridge is out for me, unless I get an A* this summer in Chem or Bio! Obviously I'll try but might have to think about taking GAMSAT, as I only have 3 Uni's left to apply to if Cambridge is out!
Original post by mscking7
Sorry just a quick question, where did people find out about the A*AA pre-requisite? I've had a search round the main Cambridge website and the Colleges and can't see it written anywhere?

Think this might well mean Cambridge is out for me, unless I get an A* this summer in Chem or Bio! Obviously I'll try but might have to think about taking GAMSAT, as I only have 3 Uni's left to apply to if Cambridge is out!

I understand that this is what people who did not get invited to interview this year were told.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799491&page=204

post 3475 (on page 174)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
I understand that this is what people who did not get invited to interview this year were told.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799491&page=204

post 3475 (on page 174)

Aaah thank you! Well I'll either hope for an A* this summer or hope that this was a one year thing, however unlikely both of those are!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending