The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

salgueira
No, never. Education is a basic right, not a privilege for the rich. Or at least that's how it should be, and supporting private education is not the best way to achieve that goal. Also, I wouldn't want my kids growing up in a bubble and only mixing with other wealthy privileged kids, and thus ending up with a warped view of life. Not saying that happens to all private schoolers, but have a walk round some unis in this country and you'll see what I mean.

I know wot u mean about some of the private schoolers in unis, like the lil groups who cant leave the flat without their gucci bag and hermes scarf, but one thing I have noticed is that they are the ones who ALWAYS turn up to lectures and tutorials unless they are genuinely so ill they cannot get out of bed (i.e. not just hungover). Not entirely sure why this is but hey, cant say its a bad thing.

People suit different environments. The divide between most private schools and state schools is I think narrower than a lot of people realise. Especially by the time kids reach 16. The culture of modern day Britain makes kids experiences much more similar these days (unless of course you are holding up the ridiculously expensive private schools). Today's kids are more affected I think by how their parents prioritize their spending than what school they go to. I know people whose families have had money for generations but their houses can be quite shabby compared to others who have less money because they spend it in different ways.

You really can't generalise.
Reply 181
my first preference for my kids would be a very good state school. I went to an average state school myself and managed to get decent grades and got into a good uni. I dont see why my kids cant do the same. Instead i can spend the money on other things that could aid my children's education eg. books, trips, clubs, etc and whatever else they might be interested in.

I believe that my role as a parent would have a HUGE influence (obviously) and that can determine whether my kids get a decent education regardless of whther they went to an average state school or a top private school. Obviously, i do understand that the standard of teaching and peer pressure do affect childrens' performances at school, but if the parent gets involved in the right manner and 'helps' (not lead) the kid in the right direction, then that would be far more influential and advantageous for the kids.

Latest

Trending

Trending