The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Right...
Reply 41
hey i remember that! i used to study norse legends and weren't there the three fates or wyrd sisters?
Reply 42
riffraff
hey i remember that! i used to study norse legends and weren't there the three fates or wyrd sisters?

greek mythology and a pratchett novel
Reply 43
'
{ingnik']greek mythology and a pratchett novel

no- they were in norse legends- were also called the norns and they spun each man's life thread and wove it into a fabric which predicted what would happen. and yes there was a terry pratchett book called that- not as good as the one where they go abroad though
Reply 44
riffraff
no- they were in norse legends- were also called the norns and they spun each man's life thread and wove it into a fabric which predicted what would happen. and yes there was a terry pratchett book called that- not as good as the one where they go abroad though

actually they were greek goddesses first. so there.
'
{ingnik']actually they were greek goddesses first. so there.

if you nominate me i will nominate you (or anyone of your choice) - i need some sort of accolade to get my life more interesting :biggrin: how are you by the way old chap?
Reply 46
'
{ingnik']actually they were greek goddesses first. so there.

:rolleyes: they were also figures in the norse legends. and the greek versions were known as the fates or the moerae- not the wyrd sisters as wyrd is a primarily northern european word
Reply 47
wiwarin_mir
Since we have had treads about almost every aspect of UKL members, I thought I should see who people think are the weirdest.

d, for paying for this.
Mr White
d, for paying for this.

but then we wouldnt have you now would we? :smile:
Reply 49
Kurdt Morello
but then we wouldnt have you now would we? :smile:

As they say, every silver lining has a cloud.
Lord Huntroyde
That always means that they're not - truly mad people think that they are perfectly sane.

Aah... Catch 22!
Reply 51
'
{ingnik']greek mythology and a pratchett novel

The Pratchett novel is a blatant piss-take of the three witches (who, I think, are called Wyrd sisters at some point) in Macbeth. That would be another fairly significant one of their appearances, although it is debateable whether Shakespeare actually wrote all the "Double double toil and trouble" bit.
I'd nominate myself.
I think.
Reply 53
Id nominate supreme Emperor. Becuase he comes on here, abuses us, says he wants to eliminate any trace of himself in this 'pathetic' forum, and yet comes back time after time for more.
Everdawn
Id nominate supreme Emperor. Becuase he comes on here, abuses us, says he wants to eliminate any trace of himself in this 'pathetic' forum, and yet comes back time after time for more.

...I heard of two things about supreme emperor by reputation...One was that he was funny...the other was that he habitually deleted his all his posts...alas only one of the things that I was told turned out to be true
Reply 55
riffraff
:rolleyes: they were also figures in the norse legends. and the greek versions were known as the fates or the moerae- not the wyrd sisters as wyrd is a primarily northern european word

Yer, but Greek and Norse myths are very alike. They practically have the same gods, same legends

Latest

Trending

Trending