The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie.michael
Ok well if I said how he keeps us interested, but I didn't really say why they Are interesting, that's right isn't it?

I cannot accurately say on how you might be marked if you did not say why they were interesting. Here's an example of how I would write this:

"Pliny maintains the reader's interest by using admirable characters. As Pliny the Elder is approaching, the danger continuously mounts, but Pliny the Elder still continues forward. This makes him seem heroic, which the reader admires, and this maintains the reader's interest."

In similar essays, my tutor has accepted this format as very good. If this kind of format is what you used, then I see no reason why you should not do well.

Does anyone else have an opinion?
Original post by fablereader
I cannot accurately say on how you might be marked if you did not say why they were interesting. Here's an example of how I would write this:

"Pliny maintains the reader's interest by using admirable characters. As Pliny the Elder is approaching, the danger continuously mounts, but Pliny the Elder still continues forward. This makes him seem heroic, which the reader admires, and this maintains the reader's interest."

In similar essays, my tutor has accepted this format as very good. If this kind of format is what you used, then I see no reason why you should not do well.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

I did that format by ordered my pea graphs slightly differently. This is one of them talking about one of the letters:

Pliny the younger is able to keep us interested in the day in the life of Pliny the elder because of Pliny being characterised as a man who wastes no time. This is portrayed by the fact that his secretaries wear long sleeves in winter so not even the harshness of the weather could stop his work.
I mean this does answer the question of how he maintains our interest (I.e because he wastes absolutely no time)
I mean this does answer the question of how he maintains our interest (I.e because he wastes absolutely no time)

Yes, it does answer the question. Whether an explanation like the one in my paragraph is relevant or not to the exam I simply do not know. I could ask my tutor when he is available, but that will be in a couple of weeks.
Yes, it does answer the question. Whether an explanation like the one in my paragraph is relevant or not to the exam I simply do not know. I could ask my tutor when he is available, but that will be in a couple of weeks.

Will I get near 8 out of 8? I did use a lot of evidence and ways it maintained our interest (8 paragraphs)

Actually Out of the 8 paragraphs I did say in 5 of them why it interested us but in the other three I didnt:

1. Pliny is hardworking + example + we are interested in how much and often he works

2. Pliny never wastes time + example + we are interested in how he never wastes any amount of time

3. Character of Arria being brave + example

4. Character of arria being single minded + examples

5. Feeling sorry for Arria about her son + example + interested because we feel very sorry for her

6 Pliny is brave + example + interested because we see a different side of Pliny

7. Pliny is clever + example

8 detioriation of events + example + interested because of the danger of this event
(edited 8 years ago)
Will I get near 8 out of 8? I did use a lot of evidence and ways it maintained our interest (8 paragraphs)

I've looked at the requirements for a past literature exam and here are the requirements to get 7-8 marks in an 8-mark question:

Good engagement with the question;
A good range of relevant points with development;
A good understanding and appreciation of the set text;
Legible, fluent and very accurate writing, conveying meaning clearly;
Sustained control of appropriate form and register;
Argument well organised.

The requirements are likely the same for this year. If you followed these, you should be fine. Here is what I see:

You answered the question in your example paragraph.
Your previous posts show a range of points.
Your example paragraph was very accurate in regards to the information derived from the set text.
Your writing was understandable.
You already have eight paragraphs, which will give you organization.

You should get high marks from what I have seen.
I've looked at the requirements for a past literature exam and here are the requirements to get 7-8 marks in an 8-mark question:

Good engagement with the question;
A good range of relevant points with development;
A good understanding and appreciation of the set text;
Legible, fluent and very accurate writing, conveying meaning clearly;
Sustained control of appropriate form and register;
Argument well organised.

The requirements are likely the same for this year. If you followed these, you should be fine. Here is what I see:

You answered the question in your example paragraph.
Your previous posts show a range of points.
Your example paragraph was very accurate in regards to the information derived from the set text.
Your writing was understandable.
You already have eight paragraphs, which will give you organization.

You should get high marks from what I have seen.

Cheers I said why they were interesting to me in about 4-5 out of the 8 paragraphs and in all of them I answeredd the question as to how he makes it Interesting so I think I should get 8
For the long 5 marker starting 'you ask me to write down' I forgot to add the 'for you' bit at the end of 'you ask me to write down FOR YOU about the death of my uncle'

Will I still get 5 marks seeing as I got all of the rest perfectly right
For the long 5 marker starting 'you ask me to write down' I forgot to add the 'for you' bit at the end of 'you ask me to write down FOR YOU about the death of my uncle'

Will I still get 5 marks seeing as I got all of the rest perfectly right

From what I have seen of a past exam, if you have one minor error then you will still get 5 marks. Some omissions count as a minor error, so perhaps forgetting to add in "for you" will count as a minor error and you will still get 5 marks. To get 4 marks you have to have done at least 2 errors, including a major one, or 3 minor errors. I believe that you are more likely to get 5 marks than 4, if everything else you wrote was correct.
How is everyone going about learning their verse section? I'm doing Virgil and it's quite long and for some reason a lot harder to learn than Pliny... I've recorded a song version of it to listen to but wondered if anyone had an alternate tips...
Original post by lucyjane12
How is everyone going about learning their verse section? I'm doing Virgil and it's quite long and for some reason a lot harder to learn than Pliny... I've recorded a song version of it to listen to but wondered if anyone had an alternate tips...

To practice for my exam I tend to write a lot of 10-mark writing style essays and 8-mark essays in a time-limit of 20 minutes. This gives me practice and confidence in writing my essays.

You seem to have thought quite hard on how to memorize the translation. I myself read my translation silently or out loud. You could also spend ten to twenty minutes with someone else holding your translation every day. Then he/she could pick random sections for you to recite.

Do you think either of these suggestions are helpful?
To practice for my exam I tend to write a lot of 10-mark writing style essays and 8-mark essays in a time-limit of 20 minutes. This gives me practice and confidence in writing my essays.

You seem to have thought quite hard on how to memorize the translation. I myself read my translation silently or out loud. You could also spend ten to twenty minutes with someone else holding your translation every day. Then he/she could pick random sections for you to recite.

Do you think either of these suggestions are helpful?

For translation I practice translating it back and when I can't I'll re-read the english: it works really really well for me.
Original post by roarchika
For translation I practice translating it back and when I can't I'll re-read the english: it works really really well for me.

Good idea. That will also improve your vocabulary as well as helping you memorize your translation. I also do flashcards daily on Anki, to help memorize words. I input every word of the set text I don't know on it to improve my vocabulary.
Good idea. That will also improve your vocabulary as well as helping you memorize your translation. I also do flashcards daily on Anki, to help memorize words. I input every word of the set text I don't know on it to improve my vocabulary.

I set up memrise courses to learn the vocab for the set texts: I tried anki and tried to do it a stanza at a time but then realised that wasn't working and it was quicker to set up the individual words on memrise. I think I probable prefer anki for history-esque subjects and memrise for just plain old vocab!
How many points do you think you needed for the essays? I did 5 for the 10 marker and 4 for the 8 marker, all points in PEE structure.
Original post by RachJess4
How many points do you think you needed for the essays? I did 5 for the 10 marker and 4 for the 8 marker, all points in PEE structure.

5 for the 10 marker is definitely okay, and so 4 for the 8 marker should be as well (I did 6 semi-developed points which should equal 4 developed ones.) I hope that with the PEE structure for the 10 marker you included the Latin and the English translation, though!
Original post by roarchika
5 for the 10 marker is definitely okay, and so 4 for the 8 marker should be as well (I did 6 semi-developed points which should equal 4 developed ones.) I hope that with the PEE structure for the 10 marker you included the Latin and the English translation, though!

Yup I did! ^.^
...At least I think I did :s-smilie:
For the ten marker i said that 'pomponianus pete' was alliteration and that 'Pete' was an imperative. Will this be two style points? Even though I put them next to each other and sort of combined them
(edited 8 years ago)
For the ten marker i said that 'pomponianus pete' was alliteration and that 'Pete' was an imperative. Will this be two style points? Even though I put them next to each other and sort of combined them

yupp theyre totally different things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending