The Student Room Group

What do you think of my A level choices?

I'm currently doing my GCSE'S and I'm studying: English Lit and Lang
Maths
Triple Science
Drama
History
Philosophy and Ethics
Media Studies

I did my English Lit and Biology GCSE's a year early and I got an A* in Lit and a B in Biology.

For A Level I'm considering
Psychology
Sociology
English (if I stay at my school now I will do Lit-Lang as they don't offer a full Lang, if I move I will do just Lit as that's all they offer)
History

I want a job involving Child psychology and social care etc, and I'm a more writing based person than maths/science, but I don't struggle tooooo much with them. I'm debating history because my options seem to be heavily writing based and i think history might be quite heavy but i honestly dont know what else I could do?

Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
Those are definitely good subjects for what you want to do. However, have you considered taking Biology at all? Taking just 1 science subject will really open up your uni/careers in health and social care. You should do what you enjoy, but if you're unsure about any of your subjects then it might be a good idea to look into Biology. :smile:
These subjects are very good. However, the majority of them are essay based, which could put a lot of pressure on you.
Maybe a science. Science subjects give you a wider range of choices when picking your Uni courses or looking for a job. Especially Biology which complements Psychology.
Original post by taylortron99
These subjects are very good. However, the majority of them are essay based, which could put a lot of pressure on you.
Maybe a science. Science subjects give you a wider range of choices when picking your Uni courses or looking for a job. Especially Biology which complements Psychology.

I did Biology and Psychology last year. They do overlap, especially if Stress is a psychology topic. Sociology and Psychology also have some of the same content and so it may make it easier for you.

I don't think that doing purely essay based subjects will be stressful - I'm currently taking Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies which are all essay based and it may actually be easier for you.

Quick Reply

Latest