The Student Room Group

Why did the Paris attacks get more coverage than the Peshawar school massacre?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dexa
Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vs Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

This sort of occurrence doesn't exactly happen in France on a regular basis. Paris is supposedly a secure, safe city closer to home where these attacks aren't a normal threat. There's also the political significance of the shooting to consider, notably those concerning free speech.

Shootings, bombings and terrorist attacks are commonplace in Africa and the Middle East, so it doesn't quite have the same impact on the Western media when these 'business as usual' events occur there. That's not to say they aren't as tragic, or don't get coverage at all, because they do.

Original post by Reptilian
Simply put, brown lives aren't seen as mattering as much by white people

Posted from TSR Mobile

No; see above. Remember the kidnapping of the children in Nigeria? The attacks in Mumbai? The Syrian Civil War atrocities? These things usually get major coverage regardless of the victims' skin colour. Don't try and paint a false race dynamic. As above, the significant coverage here is largely due to its geography (and the political nature). And I guess we all remember how nobody cared about the Michael Brown shooting, ya know, because he wasn't white...
I think the fact that it was an attack on free speech means it gets more press
Reply 62
What a stupid question.
Original post by Dexa
Why is that when a terrorist group slaughters more than 100 children at a school, it gets one or two days of media coverage, perhaps 1 thread on TSR, and hardly any mention of it being an Islamic attack on Islamic people?

Yet the minute the Paris attacks happen....boom! camera's everywhere, 24/7 media coverage, multiple "popular" discussion threads on TSR, people calling it Paris' 9/11, then the whole world suddenly considers their position on Islam?

I just don't understand it. I'm not trying to quantify the differences in mortalities, but why did those 132 children deserve less global attention than those who died at Charlie Hebdo? Where were the hundreds of gatherings in European cities, the vigils etc? Is it because it happened outside the Western world so it didn't require that much focus? Or was it because it didn't suit a West vst Islam agenda that so many people are being brainwashed with these days? :rolleyes:

Why do you think this is the case?

I'm sure you have an opinion so why not state it?
Original post by DiddyDec
How could you have missed it? It was all over the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30507836

Gosh! I really have no idea... I have visited so many news sites this week.... And I know it's hardly credible, but I've been so bored on the bus the last couple of days that I've read the metro - I don't recall it being mentioned there and that is a mainstream daily news resource for a lot of people.
France is a neighbour, Pakistan is on the other side of the world. France is a rich, internationally recognised and powerful country. Pakistan is, well...the opposite.
Reply 66
Original post by She-Ra
Gosh! I really have no idea... I have visited so many news sites this week.... And I know it's hardly credible, but I've been so bored on the bus the last couple of days that I've read the metro - I don't recall it being mentioned there and that is a mainstream daily news resource for a lot of people.

This happened mid December not in the last couple of days....
Reply 67
What a ridiculous argument that because the peshawar attack did not happen in the western world it does not affect the UK as much. Terrorism is a global threat at all times, it makes no difference where it happens.

Also why were there not at least vigils in the major cities of european countries? Whereas if it happens to France, everyone mourns.
Original post by GailQ
Please don't start down that route.

You mean the route of the truth? It damn well is true. If an attack happened thousands of miles away in Australia that killed 1 person, it would get infinitely more coverage than if 200 people were killed in a brown country. Racism, through and through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I imagine the live coverage of an ongoing manhunt had something to do it with it. You can only report on something that has already occurred for so long.

Did you not watch the news or follow social media in the aftermath of the Peshawar attack? It shocked the world. So much media coverage, including special reports and interviews from the scene on evening news programmes for days afterwards.

Although, regardless of whether the coverage was more extensive or not, I don't know why you even need to ask why a terrorist attack on western soil was big news in the western media. It's common sense. High death toll does not equal more newsworthy, how relevant the story is to viewers is also a factor. And when extremists are shooting up a major European city it's going to be pretty relevant news in any country that may be under a similar threat.
1 dead in Putney equals 10 dead in Paris equals 100 dead in Peshawar equals 1000 dead in Peking

That's the old newsroom saw. There's also a racist version of the adage
Original post by Dexa
That's not what I answered. If I knew someone who died in Australia, I would be more likely to attend his funeral than my neighbour who I didn't know. Distance doesn't matter to me.

When applied to the state that is basically the argument that the Commonwealth should come before Europe. Unfortunately the US needs, or needed, a united capitalist Europe to put its missiles in and act as a buffer state and therefore we have the EU and European unity. It is thus far from surprising that the media and the average Brit identifies more with Paris than with Peshawar.
White people get killed, the west cares. Brown people get killed, the west cares a little less.
In a word, proximity.

Geographic, cultural-religious, historical, philosophical, judicial and democratic proximity.

Pakistan - as a country - has acted duplicitously in the past with respect to bin Laden, and has been playing both sides of the fence between the Western powers and Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan. Pakistan is perceived by many - perhaps most - people in the West as a dangerous and fickle ally with an agenda. Hence, when 100 children die in an attack in Pakistan, we will express sympathy at the loss of life and barbarism, but little more unless a poster-child case can be made to which we can relate - as in the case of Malala Yousafzai.

Many in the West may in the privacy of their own thoughts hold that this is what happens when you play with terrorist fire, and hence shrug their shoulders.

(As Stalin is alleged to have said: "If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics.”) So don't sweat the numbers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra

It happened in December.
Reply 75
Your acting like muslims don't put their own first. It's always 'god save our brothers here or there' never god save all the innocents who died.
So when Muslims care far more about their Ummah and the deaths and suffering of their Muslim 'brothers and sisters' (even in distant countries) than they do about the deaths and suffering of non-Muslims, this is entirely normal and evidence of their strong and laudable sense of community, but when Europeans care more about other Europeans, this is racism. Got it.
Original post by Masoudy
Because the media is owned by zionists and their ultimate aim is to have a clash of civilisations between the West and Islam.

My favourite response thus far.

Original post by Reptilian
You mean the route of the truth? It damn well is true. If an attack happened thousands of miles away in Australia that killed 1 person, it would get infinitely more coverage than if 200 people were killed in a brown country. Racism, through and through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whinge, whinge, whinge.
This was an attack on our doorstep. An attack on our freedom of expression and an attack on our freedom of press. It was an attack on the very cornerstones of our society. Of course we are going to talk about it at length.

These freedoms which have been attacked are what 40+ million died for during World War 2. Our ancestors died so that we could have the ability to continue to express ourselves.

So if you want to compare deaths which seems to be your only stand point lets do that.

40,000,000 have already defending these rights.

Compared to

Reply 79
Original post by DiddyDec
This was an attack on our doorstep. An attack on our freedom of expression and an attack on our freedom of press. It was an attack on the very cornerstones of our society. Of course we are going to talk about it at length.

These freedoms which have been attacked are what 40+ million died for during World War 2. Our ancestors died so that we could have the ability to continue to express ourselves.

So if you want to compare deaths which seems to be your only stand point lets do that.

40,000,000 have already defending these rights.

Compared to

Read what I said, I specifically mentioned that i'm not trying to compare numbers.

As for freedom of expression, why is it that Islamic girls are banned from wearing the hijab in public schools?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending