The Student Room Group

What is a PhD?

Hi,

I have a friend who is able to recommend me for a PhD in an Engineering field, with funding from a large company. But I don't quite understand how PhDs actually work?

I'm working a Grad scheme at the moment and not massively enjoying it, so alternatives are always welcome, though the fact that I'd take a pay cut is something I'm not sure of, especially as I'm already 25.

How does a PhD get set in what you work on? The company will presumably have some topics it would like focused on, but apparently its very flexible?

I realise this is a terrible question, but it just goes to show how much I don't know.

Thanks for any info you can provide,.
Do some Google searching but its basically a three to six year course where you find out something relevant to your field and write around 60k words on it.

It's hard to get funding for this kind of thing and a lot of people would bite someone's arm off if offered it. I think I would lol!
As above, you write or otherwise work on a thesis for a new unexplored area of your chosen field and whether you pass or not is decided at the end of the course by a meeting called the viva. If you pass your work may be published and you receive a doctorate (PhD is a doctorate AFAIK).
It's a 3 year course so pseudo-intellectuals can make supposed 'research' on a pointless topic such as "the spanish localisation of the moth fly"
Reply 4
Original post by JamesManc
It's a 3 year course so pseudo-intellectuals can make supposed 'research' on a pointless topic such as "the spanish localisation of the moth fly"

The funding issue for yours is not resolved yet then?!
Original post by Klix88
The funding issue for yours is not resolved yet then?!

Nope
Original post by FreakShow!
Hi,

I have a friend who is able to recommend me for a PhD in an Engineering field, with funding from a large company. But I don't quite understand how PhDs actually work?

I'm working a Grad scheme at the moment and not massively enjoying it, so alternatives are always welcome, though the fact that I'd take a pay cut is something I'm not sure of, especially as I'm already 25.

How does a PhD get set in what you work on? The company will presumably have some topics it would like focused on, but apparently its very flexible?

I realise this is a terrible question, but it just goes to show how much I don't know.

Well, in engineering, especially if funded by a company, the topic is usally pretty set from the beginning and there is no proposal written by the student and a long search for a suitable supervisor, you just apply for a certain topic and anything is already set basically. The you do research at University for usually three years and then maybe it takes longer, but often you will begin to search a job by then and finish writing your thesis in the time in between or while already working. The details are depending on the university, so you should also consider the specific environment, as conditions and regulations can differ.
Reply 7
Original post by FreakShow!
Hi,

Do you know the Big Bang Theory?
Different for different disciplines but in many cases you're cheap labour for your supervisor, who's an academic in your department.
Reply 9
So I've done a lot more reading on the subject. And now think I know what I need on the what it is and how it works.

So my remaining questions are:
I've been a graduate for 2 years, worked at 2 different places. And I can't decide on whether going back for Post grad study would be good for my career. I'm worried my CV will look like I jump around too much and won't settle on something. And I've read in a few places that a PhD can leave some employers thinking you expect to be treated better and therefore may shy away from you in hiring you.

Anyone with experience on what it does for your career?

Thanks for all your answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending