The Student Room Group

Don't know what A levels to pick !!!! PLEASE HELP

Hey guys so i really need some help choosing my A Levels:
One of the sixth forms which im applying to (and really wishing to get into) offers the following A levels:
1. Biology
2. Chemistry3. Economics
4. English Lit
5. Further Maths
6. Maths
7. Geography
8. Gov & Politics
9. History
10. Physics
11. Psychology
12. Religious Studies

So i want to do a career within medicine ... something like a GP or consultant. So im deciding on picking biology chemistry maths and economics.
I think id be putting to much pressure on myself by picking chem bio and maths as they are 3 of the most difficult A levels to do. My geog teacher really wants me to do geography instead of chemistry because he knows i can get a definite A*. But will doing geography lower the chances of me getting a career within medicine?
Also i picked bio chem maths and economics because im the maths business sort of person but i also like science.So my plan was to see how i do in A levels and if i get good science results i would continue within science but if not then go into maths/economics. Would having for example A and A* in economics and maths and e.g B in chem and A in bio get me a job with Accountancy?
:confused::confused:
So overall what im asking is that:
1. from the list above what is the best options to pick for going into medicine?
2. what would be the best options to do for accounting?
3. will i be able to get a career within either medicine or accounting by picking biology chemistry maths and economics (assuming i get A and A*)
4. What careers could i got into with biology maths economics and geography?
5. What medical careers can i get into without having a chemistry A level?

Please i need realistic and genuine advice and i would be extremely grateful for any help.
Thanks in advance everyone.:smile:
Original post by Aty100

I think id be putting to much pressure on myself by picking chem bio and maths as they are 3 of the most difficult A levels to do. My geog teacher really wants me to do geography instead of chemistry because he knows i can get a definite A*. But will doing geography lower the chances of me getting a career within medicine?

Nope, it won't reduce your chances.

1. from the list above what is the best options to pick for going into medicine?

I'd say it'd be best to do Chemistry, Biology and two other subjects (but not Further Maths unless you want to do it as a fifth; not all Medical Schools accept Maths and Further Maths as separate subjects).

I don't know much about accounting, I'm afraid. :redface:

3. will i be able to get a career within either medicine or accounting by picking biology chemistry maths and economics (assuming i get A and A*)

They should be fine, yes.

Have a look at the informed choices booklet: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Scroll down to "Subjects required for different degree courses" to get an idea as to what sorts of degrees you can do with those.

Again, have a look at the booklet in the link above to see which ones don't need Chemistry. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aty100
Hey guys so i really need some help choosing my A Levels:
One of the sixth forms which im applying to (and really wishing to get into) offers the following A levels:
1. Biology
2. Chemistry3. Economics
4. English Lit
5. Further Maths
6. Maths
7. Geography
8. Gov & Politics
9. History
10. Physics
11. Psychology
12. Religious Studies

So i want to do a career within medicine ... something like a GP or consultant. So im deciding on picking biology chemistry maths and economics.
Also i picked bio chem maths and economics because im the maths business sort of person but i also like science.So my plan was to see how i do in A levels and if i get good science results i would continue within science but if not then go into maths/economics. Would having for example A and A* in economics and maths and e.g B in chem and A in bio get me a job with Accountancy?
:confused::confused:
So overall what im asking is that:

Please i need realistic and genuine advice and i would be extremely grateful for any help.
Thanks in advance everyone.:smile:

I currently study medicine.
For medicine you must have chemistry and ideally will have biology both to A2. Maths is handy and common amongst medics, it's useful in the med course if you do the stats part of maths a level too. that said maths isn't essential (i did maths, bio, chem and geog btw)
If you wan't to do accounting you basically just need maths so i'd do maths, bio, chem and then your 4th can be absolutely anything i know medics who did everything from music to physics to psychology to geography to history etc.
without chemistry you could do nursing, physiotherapy, counselling, social work but you need chem to pursue any of the more scientific branches like biomed scientists, pharmacy etc.
biology, maths, economics and geog gives you a lot of option, probably not many scientific unless you stuck with biology only but you could do anything from law to business to geography to accountancy etc.
Reply 3
Thanks sooo much to both of you who replied. Your replies have been very useful and are dearly appreciated . So once again thank you xx

Quick Reply

Latest