The Student Room Group

A level options

Tomorrow is the deadline to change and right now I am doing Maths, chemistry and economics. I’m enjoying maths and chemistry but want to maybe switch my 3rd but I don’t want it to limit my options for the future. I am thinking of art for architecture but if I do change my mind then art is not needed and economics would be better. What should I pick along side maths and chem.
Reply 1
Original post by Vav779
Tomorrow is the deadline to change and right now I am doing Maths, chemistry and economics. I’m enjoying maths and chemistry but want to maybe switch my 3rd but I don’t want it to limit my options for the future. I am thinking of art for architecture but if I do change my mind then art is not needed and economics would be better. What should I pick along side maths and chem.

Hey! What career paths are you looking into? Art would help a lot with architecture as it would require quite high skills in drawing, but econ is also helpful.
Original post by Vav779

Hi there,

I did maths, further maths, psychology and geography which is a very random selection. I would say pick what you enjoy and if you enjoy art more than economics it could be a good choice as getting good grades tends to be easier when you find the subject interesting.

Are you hoping to go university, if so what courses? It's okay if you don't know but it might be helpful to know that some economics courses only require maths and not economics so you might not be completely limiting your options there.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I did maths, further maths, psychology and geography which is a very random selection. I would say pick what you enjoy and if you enjoy art more than economics it could be a good choice as getting good grades tends to be easier when you find the subject interesting.

Are you hoping to go university, if so what courses? It's okay if you don't know but it might be helpful to know that some economics courses only require maths and not economics so you might not be completely limiting your options there.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi I don’t really know what I want to do in university but if I pick art would it limit me if I did want to go into something related to just maths in uni ?
Original post by Vav779
Hi I don’t really know what I want to do in university but if I pick art would it limit me if I did want to go into something related to just maths in uni ?

Hi again,

I am in my fourth year of a maths degree and at Lancaster the only required A-Level for a maths degree is maths so it wouldn't limit you there at all. The grade requirements are AAA so you may want to consider how confident you feel in achieving that in art compared to economics. Most degree courses don't mind what your other subjects were as long as you have grades and subjects required to study the degree.

Original post by Vav779

Economics at A-level is not "better" than art. You're already doing two traditionally academic subjects (maths and chemistry) and provided you meet the subject requirements normally what your other subject is will be unimportant (the grade however will be important). Also worth noting A-level Economics is not required for any degree I am aware of in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest