The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
With that logic the CL is a slightly harder trophy since you only beat 6/7 teams too.

You play 13 matches in the Champions League against some of the best teams in the world. I think it's slightly different playing Brighton in the FA Cup.

Original post by VanGaalOut
And when you get home draws the whole way through and then Wigan and Hull City in the semi and final it's hardly an achievement is it :rolleyes:

Well it's the luck of the draw. I don't have an issue with that.

Original post by swirly
the way I view it is, the FA cup is the domestic equivalent of champions league

the league cup is the domestic europa league

Except you play pretty much the same teams in the FA Cup and League Cup?

Original post by Pete_91
Congratulations for describing a knock out competition...

There's various forms of knock-out competitions but you're not going through a grueling schedule and you're not facing the best opposition.

I don't see how it's suddenly a major achievement? It's great to win a trophy and all but let's be honest they're both minor cups.
Original post by e aí rapaz
lmao

The World Cup is not a major trophy. It's just an international trophy you can win after beating just 6-7 teams.

You go through a huge qualification process just to make it to the main tournament which then has a lot of the best players in the world playing. If you can't see how that isn't different to playing in the FA Cup..
Original post by Zerforax

Except you play pretty much the same teams in the FA Cup and League Cup?

oh this doesnt happen in the Champions League and Europa League?

You might wanna tell Chelsea to return their Europa League trophy then
Reply 563
Coincidentally he's arguing his point right after Liverpool have been knocked out of the semi's.
Original post by Zerforax
You go through a huge qualification process just to make it to the main tournament which then has a lot of the best players in the world playing. If you can't see how that isn't different to playing in the FA Cup..

Oh yeah, I forgot about qualifiers! haha. :redface:
I said heading for. They are 8 points from safety in 23rd.

They were current holders who had just dumped out the eventual pl winners, you can make the stats say what you want they were playing well and play off contenders last year
I saw it as a tainted trophy you won because Chelsea, City, United were all knocked out without you playing them and Hull ****ing City in the final which you then nearly messed up. Do you really expect anyone to classify it as a top win when Wigan Athletic and Hull City were your semi final and final matches?

Ahhh, sorry I forgot, just because you beat the 2nd place 5th and 6th place team, and the holders, your trophy is "tainted" unless you beat the mighty 7th place team in the premier league #logic.

To quote the Cambridge FC fans: "you're not famous anymore"...
Original post by e aí rapaz
lmao

The World Cup is not a major trophy. It's just an international trophy you can win after beating just 6-7 teams.

Technically speaking you don't have to beat any team, get get through the groups by drawing all your games like happened in the Cup of Nations today, then go through on pens for hte rest of the tournament
Original post by leinad2012
Ahhh, sorry I forgot, just because you beat the 2nd place 5th and 6th place team, and the holders, your trophy is "tainted" unless you beat the mighty 7th place team in the premier league #logic.

To quote the Cambridge FC fans: "you're not famous anymore"...

Mighty 7th place who took 4 points off you :laugh: RvP celebrated as well :laugh: just shows how pathetic your club is. Also lol at you quoting everything I say to beef.
Mighty 7th place who took 4 points off you :laugh: RvP celebrated as well :laugh: just shows how pathetic your club is. Also lol at you quoting everything I say to beef.

The voyeurism is real in this one, only cares about Arsenal, ironic much.

You scared about Leicester this weekend? Potential 6 points taken off you by bottom in the league, but then again they're about 60 places above the mighty Cambridge so there's no real embarrassment if you do lose to them
Original post by leinad2012
The voyeurism is real in this one, only cares about Arsenal, ironic much.

You scared about Leicester this weekend? Potential 6 points taken off you by bottom in the league, but then again they're about 60 places above the mighty Cambridge so there's no real embarrassment if you do lose to them

LvG has dropped fewer points at home than Moyes, yet he still wants him out :lol:
Original post by shawn_o1
LvG has dropped fewer points at home than Moyes, yet he still wants him out :lol:

To be fair both have been horrendous, although it's a standard United fans, can't take it when times get tough
Original post by shawn_o1

Moyes got the highest away record in the league last season though.
Edited OP to include Gabriel and now all the rep has gone ffs :angry: Grrr. Edit: Nvm it's still there :h:

Anyway, anyone think we'll still do business on deadline day? Don't think so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Edited OP to include Gabriel and now all the rep has gone ffs :angry: Grrr. Edit: Nvm it's still there :h:

Anyway, anyone think we'll still do business on deadline day? Don't think so.

The optimist in me says yes, but I can't actually see any potential targets who would joining apart from that Dortmund utility man. That being said, we only knew about Gabriel (not Paulista :wink:) when the deal was all but done, which is the norm with us so it's tough to tell
We wont be signing anyone else, just be glad we actually signed what looks like a decent CB!

I think with our squad nearly back to full fitness we're actually a bit excessive in terms of numbers anyway. The likes of AOC, Cazorla will find themselves dropped to the bench before long probably with Ozil, Walcott back. And the likes of Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Chambers will be lucky to make the bench soon. And we have guys like Gnabry we've forgotten about too.

Need to have a bit of a clear-out at CM/CAM in the summer anyway. Flamini/Diaby obviously gone so that will be a decent start and I assume Campbell/Podolski are finished as well.

In the summer I think we will also only sign maybe 2 players, one of which will be of Sanchez quality. Our squad depth is actually really good though
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
We wont be signing anyone else, just be glad we actually signed what looks like a decent CB!

I think with our squad nearly back to full fitness we're actually a bit excessive in terms of numbers anyway. The likes of AOC, Cazorla will find themselves dropped to the bench before long probably with Ozil, Walcott back. And the likes of Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky, Chambers will be lucky to make the bench soon. And we have guys like Gnabry we've forgotten about too.

Need to have a bit of a clear-out at CM/CAM in the summer anyway. Flamini/Diaby obviously gone so that will be a decent start and I assume Campbell/Podolski are finished as well.

In the summer I think we will also only sign maybe 2 players, one of which will be of Sanchez quality. Our squad depth is actually really good though

The problem is most teams have an injury crisis (bar Chelsea) that temporarily decimates their first XI...our injury crises decimate our first XI, bench and half our ****ing reserves for about 3 months a season.
Reply 577
I reckon you guys will sign Pogba (if we don't get to him first).
I honestly expect a fully fit Wilshere to displace Ramsey from the starting 11. His all round play is starting to wane again. Really miss Jack, he was playing top football earlier in the season

Schneiderlin in the summer, it has to be done.
Original post by trrr
I reckon you guys will sign Pogba (if we don't get to him first).

wengs will never pay the fee

Latest