The Student Room Group

Maxine Carr

BBC news
Carr, 27, is being released on Friday after serving a three-year term for conspiring to pervert the course of justice with Soham killer Ian Huntley.

Earlier she was moved from Foston Hall Prison near Derby to a secure location. The Home Office has gone to great lengths to keep her release arrangements secret because of fears of vigilante action.
Do you think all this effort + money should be spent on keeping ex-cons safe? If it's predicted that this woman will be hounded by the public (demonstrating that the majority don't think she should be free to roam the streets), should she really be kept under lock + key??? What are your opinions on the "great lengths" taken to protect such people? How great should these lengths be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Amb1
Do you think all this effort + money should be spent on keeping ex-cons safe? If it's predicted that this woman will be hounded by the public (demonstrating that the majority don't think she should be free to roam the streets), should she really be kept under lock + key??? What are your opinions on the "great lengths" taken to protect such people? How great should these lengths be?

her new details have been stolen....a1 cock up.

sometimes the power of the minority needs to be exercised against the majority. carr has served her time and deserves to be left in peace.
Reply 2
I think the media should leave her alone, the less she is in the papers then the more she can get on with her life. I mean other child killers (and note she was never convicted or even arrested for the murders) have been allowed to just go about their lives.

I am not saying what she did was right and the murders of Holly and Jessica were horrible acts but she didn't murder them. Also dont you think its hard and unfair on the families who still have other children to have their faces constantly staring at them in the media.

Yes spent the money for now but eventually phase it out over a few years.
Reply 3
Amb1

With someone like Maxine Carr, as sickening though I find it, she will be hounded whenever she is let out. She can't be kept in prison for the rest of her life, so it's going to happen at some point. If I was her I would leave the country.
Reply 4
Maybe they really should consider the idea of giving her a new life in Australia
Reply 5
vienna95

sometimes the power of the minority needs to be exercised against the majority. carr has served her time and deserves to be left in peace.

I agree!
Reply 6
koldtoast
Maybe they really should consider the idea of giving her a new life in Australia
Who would pay for that though?
Reply 7
Its rediculous that she has been compared to Myra Hindley, admitidly she lied to the police, but i think she acted in a way many people would do, scared of what her boyfriend has done, proably scared for her own life; im not saying she didnt do anything wrong, but its rediculous what the media (mainly the Daily Mail) have done to her, i agree the only option is for her to leave the country. She simply isnt safe, and its the role of the police to make sure she is, so i think it shud be paid for by them
Reply 8
kcirtap
Its rediculous that she has been compared to Myra Hindley, admitidly she lied to the police, but i think she acted in a way many people would do, scared of what her boyfriend has done, proably scared for her own life; im not saying she didnt do anything wrong, but its rediculous what the media (mainly the Daily Mail) have done to her, i agree the only option is for her to leave the country. She simply isnt safe, and its the role of the police to make sure she is, so i think it shud be paid for by them
Nice disguise Patrick!!:wink:
Reply 9
Amb1
Who would pay for that though?

It would probably cost less to relocate her to Australia than it would to deal with all the crap she will get in this country. Once she is there, she will require a lot less protection.
some1 nicked all the important documents containing numbers and addresses. i hope they find her and torture real slow.
Lol - sending our convicts to Australia, that's a novel idea! :wink:

It's sad that people are going to hound her. She didn't kill any children, she's served her time for what she did do wrong, leave her alone. Sure, it's a shame we have to spend money on protecting her - we wouldn't have to spend this money if people would get a life and leave her be.
Reply 12
ThePants999
Lol - sending our convicts to Australia, that's a novel idea! :wink:

It's sad that people are going to hound her. She didn't kill any children, she's served her time for what she did do wrong, leave her alone. Sure, it's a shame we have to spend money on protecting her - we wouldn't have to spend this money if people would get a life and leave her be.

Absolutely - people seem to forget that she didn't kill anyone. She just got caught up in the whole thing. And she lied to protect her boyfriend - come on, I'm sure plenty of people would do that to prevent someone they love from going to prison.

As far as we know, she didn't know Huntley was guilty, so the first thing that popped into her head when he was questioned would have been "they've got the wrong man". This whole thing is not her fault - her greatest crime is being easily-led and too dependent upon Huntley to see what was going on. That's no reason to treat her like a murderer.
Reply 13
koldtoast

I thought we stopped deporting criminals to Oz years ago. Apparently not.
Reply 14
Howard
I thought we stopped deporting criminals to Oz years ago. Apparently not.

morning howard.
Reply 15
Wow, tell a few lies, get your ugly mug changed and live an all-expenses paid life in a hot and sunny country. Sounds good to me!

(p.s. how exactly will she be looked after :confused: )
Reply 16
vienna95

Absolutely spot on. No doubt the Daily Mail and the like will have its say though.
Reply 17
koldtoast

Maybe a good idea, but do you really think the Australian government would want her there? Can you imagine..

'Hi, yeah, this is Tony. Do you mind if we send you Maxine?? It's just that it's such a problem and we'd rather you had her.'
Fairydust
I think the media should leave her alone, the less she is in the papers then the more she can get on with her life. I mean other child killers (and note she was never convicted or even arrested for the murders) have been allowed to just go about their lives.

I am not saying what she did was right and the murders of Holly and Jessica were horrible acts but she didn't murder them. Also dont you think its hard and unfair on the families who still have other children to have their faces constantly staring at them in the media.

Yes spent the money for now but eventually phase it out over a few years.

I totally agree, and the constant hounding from the media takes away one of the aims of a prison sentence- to rehabilitate. But then again that's another debate:wink:?
Reply 19
zombie
Maybe a good idea, but do you really think the Australian government would want her there? Can you imagine..

'Hi, yeah, this is Tony. Do you mind if we send you Maxine?? It's just that it's such a problem and we'd rather you had her.'

They have already offered! She has chosen to return to her home town of Grimsby.

Latest

Trending

Trending