The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Best Accommodation at University of Bath?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swimgal19
I'm thinking about going to pick a course in UCAS extra at bath but John wood court is the only one left, is anyone currently living there able to give some info wat it's like,, the rooms look bare and it's not got carpet by the looks of it compared to others and there's no cleaners

Thank you

I don't know of any rooms which have carpet. And honestly, at university, you don't want carpet. Even if you yourself never spill anything whatsoever, never get drunk - ever, etc. etc., it's all the past residents you have to worry about also. With a hard floor you'll arrive and it'll be beautifully clean. With a six year old carpet in university accommodation which has been vomited on god only knows how many times, all you'll be able to think is "ugh! What am I walking on!?!?!"

Also - all university rooms are bare. That's why you fill it with your own possessions, put up posters, and make the room your own.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by President Snow
I don't know of any rooms which have carpet. And honestly, at university, you don't want carpet. Even if you yourself never spill anything whatsoever, never get drunk - ever, etc. etc., it's all the past residents you have to worry about also. With a hard floor you'll arrive and it'll be beautifully clean. With a six year old carpet in university accommodation which has been vomited on god only knows how many times, all you'll be able to think is "ugh! What am I walking on!?!?!"

Also - all university rooms are bare. That's why you fill it with your own possessions, put up posters, and make the room your own.

Do you go to bath uni? The sola bury and Marlborough have carpets and most halls in Exeter Birmingham etc have carpets or some type of material floor in the corridors and rooms. I want want to find out about the set you, how far the rooms are from the toilets if the kitchen and stuff is a big size and if there's a common room there? How long it takes to get to campus an if it's annoying and if people keep stuff in the bathroom so re ace to carrying heir toothbrush etc everytime
Reply 22
Hello! I have applied for accommodation and I was left only with one choice: John Wood (Standard). I guess it was my fault for applying late. I was really hoping I could get an en suite. :frown: Anyone here residing in John Wood? How is it? If all goes wrong then I would have to look for private accommodation.
Original post by nattaia
Hello! I have applied for accommodation and I was left only with one choice: John Wood (Standard). I guess it was my fault for applying late. I was really hoping I could get an en suite. :frown: Anyone here residing in John Wood? How is it? If all goes wrong then I would have to look for private accommodation.

What course have you applied for? I think it's unfair they do first come first served rather than preferences of top five or so like other unis then select from there it works everywhere else and it's more fair, I've been told that there's max 6 rooms with two showers with toilets in and people with less than six have one shower and toilet room and then one toilet room but the kitchen looks tiny compared to others on campus that have 7/8 people in :/ and it'll be annoying not having a sink an taking stuff with you everytime, I just hope I get put with good people that I become actual friends with so we can keep stuff in the bathroom and keep it clean and share hand towels without thinking what have they put on it or done with it 😂
Reply 24
Original post by LemonSoup
Current first year at Bath, currently living in the Quads.

Social life and general type of people living in each accommodation block is nigh identical, it's a mixed bag of people wherever you happen to choose. That said, I would really recommend going for on-campus accommodation over city accomodation, both in terms of access to lectures (heard the buses can bea bit of a nightmare) and access to the SU and sports village for social stuff. The length of the campus can be walked in less then ten minutes, so physical location is not a big deal at all.

Having an ensuite is a luxury I've personally quite liked, but again, it's a luxury, and often at the expense of room space. The shared toilets are reasonably well maintained and from what I've heard it's not really a major trouble.

As for green walls, I know that Marlborough and Solsbury do not have green walls, I haven't been inside Woodland to know if they do. The Quads have some green fittings, but we also have moodlighting! You can change the colour and everything! I don't know why. It might be the second most confusing and useless thing I've experienced at Bath, after trying to attend a 9:15 lecture after a heavy night.

Hi!
I've applied for The Quads and really seem to like it but my only concern is the distance from the centre. How far is it from the school of management?Thanks in advance!
Reply 25
Original post by Swimgal19
What course have you applied for? I think it's unfair they do first come first served rather than preferences of top five or so like other unis then select from there it works everywhere else and it's more fair, I've been told that there's max 6 rooms with two showers with toilets in and people with less than six have one shower and toilet room and then one toilet room but the kitchen looks tiny compared to others on campus that have 7/8 people in :/ and it'll be annoying not having a sink an taking stuff with you everytime, I just hope I get put with good people that I become actual friends with so we can keep stuff in the bathroom and keep it clean and share hand towels without thinking what have they put on it or done with it 😂

I applied for IR & Politics. Unfair right? I pity the students who finish their exams later than those who did theirs earlier; what options are they left with then? I'm very particular about sharing bathrooms to be honest: that's the ONLY problem I have and I'm stuck with John Wood with no ensuite. Are you applying for John Wood too? Do you reckon we might be roomies? :h:
Yeah I sent a email of complaint about the method and the woman said it'd be unfair to Allocate preferences for those who can't afford the more expensive but they wouldn't put it down if they couldn't, I meant like any other uni but baths method, they should keep the preferences open till the 1st june deadline then randomly do it cus now some people who applied first get what they want and people like me who still will study but recovered an offer later or was unsure on a course have to get the worse off. I think John wood is better than on campus shared as it's less people of 6 max compared to 16-22 in some with three floors and showers on top two floors which would be like 10 people sharingin some east woods. John wood hasmore modern rooms but a washbasin would be so much easier o might if there's space buy some storage things that stand on the floor for like hand towels and toothbrushes etc to go on.

I hope i get good flat mates so I can leave shampoo etc there or get a box for under the sink to put our stuff in so I don't have to go to and from my room without them stealing or using anything.
Reply 27
Hey guys, I got allocated a room in 'James House'. It's supposedly a new building in city center, but they don't have enough pictures online! Has anyone lived there/know how it's like? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch,
What's the travel arrangements between John Wood building and campus? I heard something about a free bus... is that true?
Original post by simonbullock
What's the travel arrangements between John Wood building and campus? I heard something about a free bus... is that true?

There are regular public buses (First Group U1 or Wessex Buses U18) and I have heard (although cannot absolutely confirm/guarantee) that the university pays your annual bus pass for you if you live in John Wood. Otherwise you just pay the £175-£245 it costs and be done with it.
Original post by beautifultempest
Hey!

I'm hopefully going to attend University of Bath in September to study Social Work and Applied Social Studies. I was wondering which accomodation would be a very good choice?

I am contemplating whether or not I would like to share bathrooms, but I might have to save money.

Norwood House is sparking my interest at the moment, but I hear that it's above the Student Union, is it going to be very loud? And what is it like sharing bathrooms?

What do you think?

I have just finished first year in Bath uni and I stayed in Eastwood and it was awful, but they are having a refurb and they are the cheapest and could have easily been one of the best accommodation types. Norwood can get really loud, but the university are pretty good at stopping noises especially in those areas and the university is generally noisy anyway.
Original post by hycurrie
I have just finished first year in Bath uni and I stayed in Eastwood and it was awful, but they are having a refurb and they are the cheapest and could have easily been one of the best accommodation types. Norwood can get really loud, but the university are pretty good at stopping noises especially in those areas and the university is generally noisy anyway.

Out of interest, what was awful about Eastwood? I lived there and thought it was pretty nice :lol: apart from ants in the kitchen and a supposed raccoon scratching the windows of the ground floor rooms.
Original post by SeanFM
Out of interest, what was awful about Eastwood? I lived there and thought it was pretty nice :lol: apart from ants in the kitchen and a supposed raccoon scratching the windows of the ground floor rooms.

Well not to scare anyone off but when I moved in I had sick up my wall, and in general the place hadn't been cleaned properly. We had a leak going from the top and middle windows which would make our stairs soaking and very very slippery. Our window was broken so people got some of our food and threw it across the kitchen. We basically had one shower thats water pressure was a joke, but worst of all bad house mates that made it an absolute disgrace. The rest of it was fixable. (well they never actually fixed anything due to the fact they were doing a refurb anyway)
Well not to scare anyone off but when I moved in I had sick up my wall, and in general the place hadn't been cleaned properly. We had a leak going from the top and middle windows which would make our stairs soaking and very very slippery. Our window was broken so people got some of our food and threw it across the kitchen. We basically had one shower thats water pressure was a joke, but worst of all bad house mates that made it an absolute disgrace. The rest of it was fixable. (well they never actually fixed anything due to the fact they were doing a refurb anyway)

Ugh, that's ridiculous. I didn't know the accommodation people weren't clued up about that - after all, they supposedly inspect every room from the previous year when they've left and have cleaners in that charge you £50 per bag of rubbish they find, as you no doubt remember laughing at :lol:

The water pressure is terrible to be fair, though I don't know if that's an Eastwood specific problem or not - I've never checked other people's showers :lol:

But the rest is disgraceful, sorry to hear that. And a poor reason for them to do nothing. :angry: I hope your second year accommodation is much better :tongue: not sure why I've assumed you're a second year atm but there you go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Ugh, that's ridiculous. I didn't know the accommodation people weren't clued up about that - after all, they supposedly inspect every room from the previous year when they've left and have cleaners in that charge you £50 per bag of rubbish they find, as you no doubt remember laughing at :lol:

The water pressure is terrible to be fair, though I don't know if that's an Eastwood specific problem or not - I've never checked other people's showers :lol:

But the rest is disgraceful, sorry to hear that. And a poor reason for them to do nothing. :angry: I hope your second year accommodation is much better :tongue: not sure why I've assumed you're a second year atm but there you go.

I know well I had official apologies and stuff but they came over like 2 days later asking I wanted them to clean it up, but obviously by then I had cleaned it off being right where my head is. Eww.

I do remember making sure I didn't leave a spec of dirt in my room incase of the £50 per bag fine haha.

The water pressure was just utter pants I mean luckily for us (12 in one house 2 showers, toilets and one drinking water tap) that the boys mainly showered the SU after sports and stuff.

It did spoil my first year for me, but hey ho it doesn't count. Already in second year accommodation loving it so much and I am in second year, good assumption :smile: Thank you
I know well I had official apologies and stuff but they came over like 2 days later asking I wanted them to clean it up, but obviously by then I had cleaned it off being right where my head is. Eww.

I do remember making sure I didn't leave a spec of dirt in my room incase of the £50 per bag fine haha.

The water pressure was just utter pants I mean luckily for us (12 in one house 2 showers, toilets and one drinking water tap) that the boys mainly showered the SU after sports and stuff.

It did spoil my first year for me, but hey ho it doesn't count. Already in second year accommodation loving it so much and I am in second year, good assumption :smile: Thank you

:rolleyes: no doubt, a bit late by then. :hide:

It's a shame that all of that happened as well because first year is where you're supposed to enjoy being 5 mins away from lectures as well :redface: what area are you living in this year, if you don't mind me asking? Already there, very keen :lol: housing contracts are stupid to charge you for now though. :angry:

Original post by President Snow
There are regular public buses (First Group U1 or Wessex Buses U18) and I have heard (although cannot absolutely confirm/guarantee) that the university pays your annual bus pass for you if you live in John Wood. Otherwise you just pay the £175-£245 it costs and be done with it.

Slightly off topic and I think you'd kind of know me if it were the case, but does your name start with L by any chance?
Original post by SeanFM
:rolleyes: no doubt, a bit late by then. :hide:

It's a shame that all of that happened as well because first year is where you're supposed to enjoy being 5 mins away from lectures as well :redface: what area are you living in this year, if you don't mind me asking? Already there, very keen :lol: housing contracts are stupid to charge you for now though. :angry:

Slightly off topic and I think you'd kind of know me if it were the case, but does your name start with L by any chance?

like I said all the stuff I listed wouldn't have been too bad if they just sorted it when I discovered it and fixed stuff, but my house mates where awful and the place was always filthy and no matter how clean etc it wouldn't have mattered. But I am living in Oldfield Park now (like a lot of students). Yeah well we are paying for the house from July 1st so I didn't want to waste 3 months pay. Plus I have a job etc. If the name thing was in regards to me then no my name does not begin with an L
like I said all the stuff I listed wouldn't have been too bad if they just sorted it when I discovered it and fixed stuff, but my house mates where awful and the place was always filthy and no matter how clean etc it wouldn't have mattered. But I am living in Oldfield Park now (like a lot of students). Yeah well we are paying for the house from July 1st so I didn't want to waste 3 months pay. Plus I have a job etc. If the name thing was in regards to me then no my name does not begin with an L

I getcha yeah, poor service from them and annoying when you have terrible housemates too.

:hide: not great for buses lol, though I guess it's manageable.

I stayed in a place called Southdown for the second year, which wasn't too far from a U10 bus stop, and let me tell you, that bus is amazing :lol: I lived by the start of the route so the bus was empty then, and it very rarely gets full on the way in, moreso on the way out though. If I had a choice though, I would try to live at the bottom of the hill so that it's in the city and like a 30 minute walk from uni :lol: just a thought for your third year, if it's a possibility. I think it'd be nice there and someone I know who lived in that area loved it.

Oh nice one, a job in Bath? :tongue:

Sorry, the L bit was referring to someone else that I quoted :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
I getcha yeah, poor service from them and annoying when you have terrible housemates too.

:hide: not great for buses lol, though I guess it's manageable.

I stayed in a place called Southdown for the second year, which wasn't too far from a U10 bus stop, and let me tell you, that bus is amazing :lol: I lived by the start of the route so the bus was empty then, and it very rarely gets full on the way in, moreso on the way out though. If I had a choice though, I would try to live at the bottom of the hill so that it's in the city and like a 30 minute walk from uni :lol: just a thought for your third year, if it's a possibility. I think it'd be nice there and someone I know who lived in that area loved it.

Oh nice one, a job in Bath? :tongue:

Sorry, the L bit was referring to someone else that I quoted :tongue:

Well I work in town and I walk there everyday so its not far. I live right by a bus stop for town, or like a 5-10 minute walk from the U1-U10 or the other uni bus stops right outside my house also by like its only a few times a day type bus. I haven't really looked that much into just yet. Thank you for the heads up, but nothing is going to quite compare to waking up 15 minutes before you lecture and still rolling in on time haha.

Yeah been working all year :smile:

Thought just as much I just didn't want to blatantly ignore you just incase it wasn't :smile:
Well I work in town and I walk there everyday so its not far. I live right by a bus stop for town, or like a 5-10 minute walk from the U1-U10 or the other uni bus stops right outside my house also by like its only a few times a day type bus. I haven't really looked that much into just yet. Thank you for the heads up, but nothing is going to quite compare to waking up 15 minutes before you lecture and still rolling in on time haha.

Yeah been working all year :smile:

Thought just as much I just didn't want to blatantly ignore you just incase it wasn't :smile:

Oh okay fiars, I hope at least one of those buses is empty enough :tongue:

:hide: it's difficult I know, I still miss that feeling, but you get used to it eventually but also find it very easy to just go 'nah, it's too far, gonna have a day off today'.

Do you study maths by any chance? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest