The Student Room Group

I'm Punjabi, but can't speak the language, help?

I was born in the UK and my parents brought me up to speak Urdu (national language of Pakistan) as that's what most young people there speak and is common. But my parents speak to each other in Punjabi, so I understand it but I'm just so nervous I'll mix up words and sound stupid trying to speak Punjabi. How can I perfect the language?

I just feel so proud of my Punjabi heritage and feel annoyed I can't speak my mother tongue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm stuck in the same situation haha but I can't speak urdu either. I can like understand everything people say to me, I'm just too scared to reply back in punjabi and so I just carry on speaking English.

My mum keeps saying I'll have to learn for when I get married though
Reply 2
Original post by coolgirlaamy
I'm stuck in the same situation haha but I can't speak urdu either. I can like understand everything people say to me, I'm just too scared to reply back in punjabi and so I just carry on speaking English.

My mum keeps saying I'll have to learn for when I get married though í ½í¸±í ½í¸“

That's why I feel somewhat lucky I can at least speak Urdu, but I just don't feel a connection with it.

I swear all Asian mums just think about is getting their kids married!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cake_lover
That's why I feel somewhat lucky I can at least speak Urdu, but I just don't feel a connection with it.

I swear all Asian mums just think about is getting their kids married!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spent some time trying to learn urdu/punjabi but yeah, I don't really feel connection with it either tbh.

And yeah, omg that's so true...
Reply 4
Original post by coolgirlaamy
I spent some time trying to learn urdu/punjabi but yeah, I don't really feel connection with it either tbh.

And yeah, omg that's so true...

Just to mess with my mum I tell her I've found a nice Jewish Nigerian girl :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Bump, kind of want some suggestions not a debate...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was born in the UK and my parents brought me up to speak Urdu (national language of Pakistan) as that's what most young people there speak and is common. But my parents speak to each other in Punjabi, so I understand it but I'm just so nervous I'll mix up words and sound stupid trying to speak Punjabi. How can I perfect the language?

I just feel so proud of my Punjabi heritage and feel annoyed I can't speak my mother tongue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want language help, use Byki or Memrise to learn a language

But tbh, I'm a Punjabi Pakistani born and raised in London but I can't speak Urdu or Punjabi at all but then again, I'm not proud of my heritage though and I see no need to be able to speak Urdu or Punjabi either :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly how I was brought up. My parents speak in Punjabi but I speak in Urdu. However, I can still speak Punjabi but I don't use it regularly. I love both languages, Urdu and Punjabi. I love being a Punjabi and speaking in Punjabi. However, my accent isn't perfect in Punjabi which I realised when I heard my Pakistani Punjabi cousins speaking in Punjabi.

I would suggest you to start speaking to your parents in Punjabi and tell them to correct you if you speak it wrong. Listen to Punjabi music or Punjabi movies. Plus, funny Punjabi shows, like, Khabaarnaak.

Hope this helps. Punjabiyaan di shaan vakhri haha.:bhangra:
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just have a go as that's what languages are all about :smile: it doesn't matter if you make mistakes as that's the whole point and in spoken form many simple mistakes don't really matter tbh and im saying this as I can speak Urdu, Punjabi (and a dialect of them which is mirpuri) French and obviously English too so if u need any help just ask :smile:xxxxx
Original post by leema1122
Just have a go as that's what languages are all about :smile: it doesn't matter if you make mistakes as that's the whole point and in spoken form many simple mistakes don't really matter tbh and im saying this as I can speak Urdu, Punjabi (and a dialect of them which is mirpuri) French and obviously English too so if u need any help just ask :smile:xxxxx

Speak Bengali then I'll be impressed :P samja

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daindian
Speak Bengali then I'll be impressed :P samja

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I want to learn Arabic or Pashto instead :P and I can understand some bits of sylheti and how many languages can u speak ?? xxxx
Well I want to learn Arabic or Pashto instead :P and I can understand some bits of sylheti and how many languages can u speak ?? xxxx

Looool no u don't :P and syletti is horrible it's not Bengali :P I speak English, Bengali, German, hindi :P xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looool no u don't :P and syletti is horrible it's not Bengali :P I speak English, Bengali, German, hindi :P xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

HUH :/ I don't what?? LOOOOOL im confused is that bit to the Arabic and Pashto part or to understanding sylhetti? and yes I can add hindi to my list too :P xxxx
HUH :/ I don't what?? LOOOOOL im confused is that bit to the Arabic and Pashto part or to understanding sylhetti? and yes I can add hindi to my list too :P xxxx

The Arabic and Pashto part Loool. :P I can add urdu to my list then :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Arabic and Pashto part Loool. :P I can add urdu to my list then :smile: xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ermmm yes I do want to learn them both tbh and also your just cheating u know that don't u??
Ermmm yes I do want to learn them both tbh and also your just cheating u know that don't u??

Loool shush :P xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
loool shush :tongue: xxx

posted from tsr mobile

hahahahahahahahahahaha :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17

I guess so, I think speaking to my mum in Punjabi might be a good start.

My sister's in-laws speak in the mirpuri accent, I always struggle to understand it lol. My family has a similar accent to Sikh people, so I might just watch some Punjabi films to help lol
I guess so, I think speaking to my mum in Punjabi might be a good start.

My sister's in-laws speak in the mirpuri accent, I always struggle to understand it lol. My family has a similar accent to Sikh people, so I might just watch some Punjabi films to help lol

yeah I understand which accent your talking about as that is the proper form of Punjabi and btw where are u from back home? xx
Reply 19
Original post by william walker
Sorry to be the big bad bigot here but you are British and should give up the legacy of parents and their ancestors if you want to be British. Otherwise you are colonising Britain with an immigrant legacy. If you can speak English with a regional British accent that is all you should want. Of course it is your choice to be British or Punjabi.

What a load of nonsense! So your saying people can't learn languages if they want to ? So your saying when they teach us Spanish or French in school they're "colonising" Britain with immigrant legacy . Seriously?! People can learn whatever language they like .

Quick Reply

Latest