The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Postgraduate for PhD

So I'm currently doing an MSc part time at a brick university. It isn't going very well as the modules are taught in a block system (2 intensive weeks per module) and I just am not especially enjoying it. I am, however, on a scholarship and I have been assigned a dissertation which involves consulting with one of the core institutions in my area of study. My aim is to do a PhD after my masters.

Has anyone here gone on from an MSc/MA at the OU to do a PhD? Do you feel it advantaged/disadvantaged you? Do you feel that you would have been at more of an advantage studying at a 'traditional' university?
Original post by bownessie
So I'm currently doing an MSc part time at a brick university. It isn't going very well as the modules are taught in a block system (2 intensive weeks per module) and I just am not especially enjoying it. I am, however, on a scholarship and I have been assigned a dissertation which involves consulting with one of the core institutions in my area of study. My aim is to do a PhD after my masters.

Has anyone here gone on from an MSc/MA at the OU to do a PhD? Do you feel it advantaged/disadvantaged you? Do you feel that you would have been at more of an advantage studying at a 'traditional' university?

I have seen some people on the forums do it, but I suppose it depends on how heavy the practical side of your degree is. I am 100% sure that if you want to do a PhD project that is lab-intensive and complex, that you would be at a significant disadvantage, as during some of my PhDs I was at a disadvantage because people already had masters degrees and thus much more practical experience.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest