The Student Room Group

Arden or OU?

Arden uni or OU for psychology MSc conversion for someone with no psychological background?

Arden is 1 year and OU is 2. Any advice greatly appreciated!
OU
Original post by mathperson
OU

Thanks for the reply, could I ask why? :smile:
I’ve never seen a positive review of Arden that wasn’t written by a paid employee/ambassador.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by PQ
I’ve never seen a positive review of Arden that wasn’t written by a paid employee/ambassador.
It's interesting you say that, as I have noticed most reviews are by employee and ambassadors. It seems the assignments for Arden are rushed too?

For OU psychology (MSc Conversion), do you know whether a personal statement is required?
Original post by Sunflowerblue
Thanks for the reply, could I ask why? :smile:

I have recent experience studying with the OU and I haven't got a bad word to say.
If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask away ☺️
OU.

Arden has no academic credibility at all.
Original post by McGinger
OU.
Arden has no academic credibility at all.

If you studied at Arden, would it impair your chances of getting onto a PHD / doctorate at a brick uni?
If you studied at Arden, would it impair your chances of getting onto a PHD / doctorate at a brick uni?

Yes - because it doesnt have the academic clout of the OU or another sensible University.
Arden uni or OU for psychology MSc conversion for someone with no psychological background?
Arden is 1 year and OU is 2. Any advice greatly appreciated!

@Sunflowerblue
I did my MSc conversion at Arden University, and there was an option to do it across 2 years part time either 100% online or blended learning in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham or London. I would say that wherever you study the first unit or two on research methods can be a bit of a steep climb, particularly if you have never used a program like SPSS before to analyse statistics - luckily I had done a Sociology degree beforehand which helped a bit.

For an unbiased view, check out both universities Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) report, readily available online. I will say that Arden have the best virtual learning environment I have come across working for 10 years plus in education. The key thing with the provider you choose is that a) it is eligible for a student loan and b) they are validated by the BPS - the courses are for both providers.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
(edited 2 weeks ago)
For the record: QAA is nothing like ofsted. And they’re no longer the designated quality body for English HE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending