The Student Room Group

In job interviews, are you allowed to ask how much money you'll earn?

Does it sound rude if that is your first question?
Probably would be, it suggests you're only going to turn up for the money, like a claimant, rather than you're actually going there to work

Similar to how the response to "I would like some friends" would be
(edited 9 years ago)
The easy interviewers response to that question would be:

"We pay industry standard rates based on qualifications and experience. What remuneration package do you have in mind?"

Not rude but most would question your motivation and you should consider asking this as a first question to be a 'severely career limiting statement'. :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
First question yes, asking at the end I would say would be more appropriate, why not wait? You'll only be in a interview for like 20 mins max
Reply 4
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Does it sound rude if that is your first question?

That is a good question. For my job I didn't even mention salary as I was told not to by what I read. I think when you go for professional jobs, those high paying jobs then you can. For those type of jobs you need to negotiate your contract and you and your employer need to agree on an annual wage, benefits, bonuses etc. The company need to know what you value yourself at and what your wage range is sort of like how footballers and their agents negotiate their contracts.

It depends on the job really. I wouldn't make that my first question even if it was for a more professional job. The wage might be listed under the job ad as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
First question yes, asking at the end I would say would be more appropriate, why not wait? You'll only be in a interview for like 20 mins max

Basically this. I personally would ask at the end of the interview.
In my job interview they told me straight about 2/3 of the way through what the salary package was. They'll almost certainly volunteer the information at some point, but if it becomes clear they aren't going to then ask towards the end
I wouldn't ask as my first question, but at the end you should. You need to know what the salary is. If it's less than you're on now then it might not even be financially possible for you to take the job so you can't just not know what you'll be earning.
In my recent experience, if the salary isn't stated in the advert, they will either make an offer based on your experience or ask you what your salary expectations are towards the end of the interview. If they don't do this, I would ask it before leaving, and make sure you have the other relevant details about the contract too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending