The Student Room Group

Finances

I have recently applied for my architecture course at uni, and also have applied for the maximum amount of maintenance loan, i dont think i will use all of the money, is it a big brain move to save it and invest it down the line when i finish uni in a house? Or was it a bad move, i have applied for maintenance loan as i think i will need some of it, but definitely will at least save %70. Please help or advice me if you know anything will be better. Thank you
Original post by Riley64
I have recently applied for my architecture course at uni, and also have applied for the maximum amount of maintenance loan, i dont think i will use all of the money, is it a big brain move to save it and invest it down the line when i finish uni in a house? Or was it a bad move, i have applied for maintenance loan as i think i will need some of it, but definitely will at least save %70. Please help or advice me if you know anything will be better. Thank you

I'm curious to know how your going to survive on just 30% of the full maintenance loan. Many students struggle to make ends meet on 100% of the full maintenance loan. Perhaps you'll be earning via a part-time job alongside your studies? Anyways that's not the question you asked...

How much will you be earning once you graduate? Only by answering that impossible-to-answer question can we do the math and work out whether this makes sense financially. For example, if you never earn more than £25,000 then you'll never pay back any of the loan and you can consider it "free money".

If you have money left over after uni (regardless of the source from which it came) then using it to help pay for a house sounds like a perfectly reasonable approach to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending