The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL offer holders 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Offer holder for Chemistry, and applied for Accommodation at Wills, Hiatt Baker and Unite.
Not feeling too good about results day though, A*AA seems like a big ask.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by joe1545
Offer holder for Chemistry, and applied for Accommodation at Wills, Hiatt Baker and Unite.
Not feeling too good about results day though, A*AA seems like a big ask.

My offer is the same for history, I feel you man :frown: best of luck to everyone!!!
Original post by isobellyabrams
My offer is the same for history, I feel you man :frown: best of luck to everyone!!!

Mines 'only' AAB but good luck to you
Mines AAB too for Politics, anyone have any idea on how lenient they might be this year in terms of missing offers by a grade?
Original post by cchambers
Mines AAB too for Politics, anyone have any idea on how lenient they might be this year in terms of missing offers by a grade?

Depends how many people miss the grades I would assume
Politics is quite competitive I've heard? :/
Original post by SamuelSingleton
Depends how many people miss the grades I would assume
Politics is quite competitive I've heard? :/

i think if you got ABB theres a good chance youll still get it
Original post by justmichael
i think if you got ABB theres a good chance youll still get it

I would be wary of saying this - it very much varies from year to year. When the university gives out offers they do so with the expectation that only a certain % of them will be put as firm/insurance offers. Sometimes they get this wrong and they have more people putting Bristol as firm/insurance than they expected. What this means is that if they have 110 people who put them as firm, where as they expected only 100, then they effectively have too many people. If 10 of those who put them as firm miss their grades, then there are still 100 people which is the number the university wanted in the first place, and so you will not get in even if you barely miss the grade.

This can obviously work in the opposite direction as well, with them expecting 100 and getting fewer, meaning that you are very likely to get in even if you miss your grade.

It boils down to how well they judged it this year. In previous years they have underestimated the popularity of the university and had more people than they expected (offers are legally binding if you achieve them and so they have to let you in, even if there are way more than they expected). So in those years, very few people who missed the grades will have been accepted. Sadly there is no way to know in advance if that will be the case this year.

This might sound quite a bit like doom and gloom, but I don't want to give anyone false hope. Ideally you will all get the grades you require and this won't be a problem!
Original post by Rubgish
I would be wary of saying this - it very much varies from year to year. When the university gives out offers they do so with the expectation that only a certain % of them will be put as firm/insurance offers. Sometimes they get this wrong and they have more people putting Bristol as firm/insurance than they expected. What this means is that if they have 110 people who put them as firm, where as they expected only 100, then they effectively have too many people. If 10 of those who put them as firm miss their grades, then there are still 100 people which is the number the university wanted in the first place, and so you will not get in even if you barely miss the grade.

This can obviously work in the opposite direction as well, with them expecting 100 and getting fewer, meaning that you are very likely to get in even if you miss your grade.

It boils down to how well they judged it this year. In previous years they have underestimated the popularity of the university and had more people than they expected (offers are legally binding if you achieve them and so they have to let you in, even if there are way more than they expected). So in those years, very few people who missed the grades will have been accepted. Sadly there is no way to know in advance if that will be the case this year.

This might sound quite a bit like doom and gloom, but I don't want to give anyone false hope. Ideally you will all get the grades you require and this won't be a problem!

I totally agree i was just saying that because of all the clearing places available this year i would have thought this year there would be a slightly higher chance of near miss offers being accepting, but absolutely it is just that, a chance
Original post by justmichael
I totally agree i was just saying that because of all the clearing places available this year i would have thought this year there would be a slightly higher chance of near miss offers being accepting, but absolutely it is just that, a chance

It doesn't look like there are a huge number of clearing places avaliable (from here). Primarily it looks like languages and a small number of social sciences.
Original post by Rubgish
It doesn't look like there are a huge number of clearing places avaliable (from here). Primarily it looks like languages and a small number of social sciences.

clearly im wrong then
Not suggesting you can rely on it, but I recon there is a chance more people may be accepted that were near misses on the basis that uni places are uncapped this year. Like I said though, definitely not something you could rely on.
Good luck everyone :-)
Original post by cchambers
Anyone applied for the hawthorns residence? Or orchard heights?

Orchard Heights was my first choice!
///
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by weevilface
Hi, I'm holding an unconditional for Russian at Bristol but I emailed the arts undergraduate admissions email address last week to see whether I could change that to ab initio Italian and post A level Russian joint honours. Russian and Italian is listed on the clearing page as a course with places available but I haven't heard anything from them and it's almost been a week. I get that they might be waiting until after results day but since I haven't even had an email saying "We'll consider your request after results day" then I'm worried I've sent my request to the wrong email. Is there another more appropriate email address I should have used?

i dont know man, when i emailed med sciences it took them a few weeks to reply to me about a question i had, its likely you have a wait on your hands regardless of results day, sorry hope everything works out and hope to see you around Bristol!
Hi, I'm holding an unconditional for Russian at Bristol but I emailed the arts undergraduate admissions email address last week to see whether I could change that to ab initio Italian and post A level Russian joint honours. Russian and Italian is listed on the clearing page as a course with places available but I haven't heard anything from them and it's almost been a week. I get that they might be waiting until after results day but since I haven't even had an email saying "We'll consider your request after results day" then I'm worried I've sent my request to the wrong email. Is there another more appropriate email address I should have used?

Have you tried emailing the standard admissions email? It might be that the arts email isn't checked that often - I imagine the ordinary admissions email address is checked by people who's main job is to deal with admissions rather than that department itself.
Original post by k4l397
Have you tried emailing the standard admissions email? It might be that the arts email isn't checked that often - I imagine the ordinary admissions email address is checked by people who's main job is to deal with admissions rather than that department itself.

thats a really good idea
Original post by k4l397

I will try that, thank you! I just thought that I might get a better chance of a quick reply from the arts one since I imagine the standard one to be bombarded all the time :smile:
I will try that, thank you! I just thought that I might get a better chance of a quick reply from the arts one since I imagine the standard one to be bombarded all the time :smile:

The chances are there will be more people looking at the default admissions email, and that it'll either get answered fairly quickly or forwarded on to the appropriate people. It's probably worth sending an email as soon as possible, as once results come out they will be very very busy with lots of emails/calls from people who have missed results or are trying to get in through clearing.
Like at all Universities, the Bristol Admissions team are REALLY busy at the moment processing all your A level results. Please do not pester them with 'will I still get in' or 'can I change course' type emails as understandably they will not get answered!

Just remember that Bristol has very high academic standards - just because a course is in Clearing does NOT mean they will accept poor grades either from those holding offers or those in Clearing. All it means is that they have worked out that they probably don't have enough reliable Firms to fill places. So, do not assume that because 'your' course is in Clearing there is any greater chance of you getting in. It doesn't work like that at any Uni, but especially for an RG.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending