The Student Room Group

Internet trolls threatened with asbo & 5 years jail time

In a bid to stop the spread of racial hatred online David Cameron and a group of MPs are calling for rascist trolls be banned from the main social media sites such as facebook and twitter, given an internet asbo and jailed for up to 5 years if they return online.

Story here

What's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How exactly do they enforce these things? If repressive countries like China struggle to control who does what on the internet how is the UK going to manage?
**** this North Korean bull****. The internet is slowly being ruined, as predicted. In a decade or two we'll be looking back fondly on 'the good old days' of the internet.
Reply 3
TSR will be so boring... :bawling:
Original post by Aj12
How exactly do they enforce these things? If repressive countries like China struggle to control who does what on the internet how is the UK going to manage?

Precisely my thoughts. Cameron shows yet again how out of touch he is with technological issues. In principle this would be nice, but in reality this is something very difficult to police. These days even the most amateur internet user can cover their tracks if they're willing to do a basic amount of research.

Trying to enforce this will waste so much time and tax-payer money.
Reply 5
This is a ridiculous law it i just basically an attempt to stop any criticism of religion & if anyone really believes Jews are the target they are fooling themselves, this is clearly aimed at stopping any criticism of Islam
Original post by Ace123
This is a ridiculous law it i just basically an attempt to stop any criticism of religion & if anyone really believes Jews are the target they are fooling themselves, this is clearly aimed at stopping any criticism of Islam

It says anti Semitism not anti Judaism

Either way, at least the Guardian reported it better. In the HuffPost, it looked like you'd get an ASBO for ONLY being anti Semitic (but being anti Muslim/Christian/Hindu etc... Seemed OK because of how they reporred it)

No one is saying you can't criticize religion. You're just not allowed to generalise millions of people in to being something evil

We already have rules like that on tsr. If you accumulate too many cards you'd be given a red card or a temp ban. In effect a temporary ASBO from tsr
Original post by Ace123

I think there's a distinction to be made between criticising and bashing. You can criticise something constructively and respectfully - but you can't bash something constructively or respectfully. Whilst the idea is completely void of realism, I think Cameron is trying to stamp out the bashing of religion which is often deeply offensive.
Original post by Reluire
I think there's a distinction to be made between criticising and bashing. You can criticise something constructively and respectfully - but you can't bash something constructively or respectfully. Whilst the idea is completely void of realism, I think Cameron is trying to stamp out the bashing of religion which is often deeply offensive.

PRSOM. Precisely this. I think Ace123 is just a bit...worried lol
Reply 9
Okay police, we're slashing your funding but if it's alright with you we'd like you to police all the trolls on the internet. Some of you may need to work overtime. Thanks.

Your pal,

Davey C.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Has no one ever taught the golden rule of posting on the internet?

DON'T

FEED

THE

TROLLS
Wat abowt da free speech
Original post by miser
Okay police, we're slashing your funding but if it's alright with you we'd like you to police all the trolls on the internet. Some of you may need to work UNPAID overtime. Thanks.

Your pal,

Davey C.

Fix'd

ironic really, I mean Cameron is trolling the police IRL...so...jail time?
Reply 13
Original post by joey11223
Fix'd

ironic really, I mean Cameron is trolling the police IRL...so...jail time?

Hahaha, yeah. I fixed my post.
Thinking in the right direction. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
They would get it for being ***** in real life, don't see why it should be any different online
Absolute nonsense and the sort of authoritarian social policy that puts me off voting conservative. But then labour are misandrists and economically illiterate and we have a first past the post system so there is no point voting any other party. Useless.
If it's for extreme racism/homophobia/Islamaphobia etc then I don't see the problem? The title is a bit misleading, nobody is going to ban you from the internet for making a troll thread in chat or laughing at Manchester United for losing to Leicester City.

It's completely unenforceable anyway. nobody is going to waste police resources on this and nobody is going to be sent to our overcrowded prisons for checking Facebook. Pretty much anything that the authorities say or do in relation to the internet is about 10 years out of date so it's not something to be concerned about. If it actually enters legislation it would work as well as their supposed ban on torrent sites did.
Original post by sr90
If it's for extreme racism/homophobia/Islamaphobia etc then I don't see the problem?

The problem is, the judgement of what is extreme and offensive is so subjective. Some people object to something others deem fine.

The law should not be about feelings in people's heads. It should be about reducing harm in the real world.

It's naive to think that extreme acts are caused by extreme comments on the internet, so there's no need to prosecute people for them.

If a site like Twitter wants to ban "trolls" that's up to them. But the law of the land should not be involved.
Crazy policy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending