The Student Room Group

Thoughts on quiting my job?

I've worked at my current job in insurance for nearly 6 months- I'd debating quiting due to my manager. She crucifies me for logging on the system 1 minute late when she can see I am waiting for the Internet to load. She's threatened my probation countless times over logging in even seconds late...

To me it seems extreme and it got to a point I feel like she will have my probation xtended or me dismissed over lateness. The job is also meant to be work from home but she hasn't let me and the commute is long and fuel costs are killing me. I've become so miserable and exhausted and just unnessary stressed because of this women. Colleagues have even said she has it in for me. She says she might let me work from home soon but she can take it away whenever.

I started applying to new jobs just to see. And I actually got one in another insurance pay is basically the same and it's just down the road. It's also work from home from the beginning. The office is dog friendly and the holiday allowance is 30 days plus bank Holidays (5 more than my current place). Its a matter of why would I not take it it seems.

I'm just freaking out incase this isn't the right thing to do because I haven't even passed probation but with mt manager I just am miserable and the job is meh itself it's charging people stupid money n ruining peoples days lol. The new job is in claims and just taking information down and organising it to be filed. To me sounds less like I'd be ruining poeples days constantly and giving them a solution to their claim.

I just need everyone's opinion on what they would do and if I'm crazy for quiting so soon. It going to be so out of thr blue for my manager. I also took a sick day which she is getting hr involved.
Original post by Iamamazing22
I've worked at my current job in insurance for nearly 6 months- I'd debating quiting due to my manager. She crucifies me for logging on the system 1 minute late when she can see I am waiting for the Internet to load. She's threatened my probation countless times over logging in even seconds late...

To me it seems extreme and it got to a point I feel like she will have my probation xtended or me dismissed over lateness. The job is also meant to be work from home but she hasn't let me and the commute is long and fuel costs are killing me. I've become so miserable and exhausted and just unnessary stressed because of this women. Colleagues have even said she has it in for me. She says she might let me work from home soon but she can take it away whenever.

I started applying to new jobs just to see. And I actually got one in another insurance pay is basically the same and it's just down the road. It's also work from home from the beginning. The office is dog friendly and the holiday allowance is 30 days plus bank Holidays (5 more than my current place). Its a matter of why would I not take it it seems.

I'm just freaking out incase this isn't the right thing to do because I haven't even passed probation but with mt manager I just am miserable and the job is meh itself it's charging people stupid money n ruining peoples days lol. The new job is in claims and just taking information down and organising it to be filed. To me sounds less like I'd be ruining poeples days constantly and giving them a solution to their claim.

I just need everyone's opinion on what they would do and if I'm crazy for quiting so soon. It going to be so out of thr blue for my manager. I also took a sick day which she is getting hr involved.

If I were you I'd take the new job which is just down the road (once I'd confirmed that it was a firm offer, in writing, and was definitely a done-deal).

If asked (in future) why you were only in your current job for sixth months, you can just say part of what you'd said above. It was a long commute and was work that you didn't particularly enjoy or feel comfortable doing. You realised this quite early on, but felt that the right thing to do was to stick with it to see if the situation improved. It didn't, so after six months you decided that it was to move on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending