The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I'm starting college in September, and I've more or less made up my mind as to what I want to study but am still a little unsure.

Despite the A level reforms, I'm still going to be taking 4 subjects. I've been a little bit worried about this decision, but I'm on track for 10 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, and 2 out of the 3 colleges I've applied to have told me that I'll be able to manage 4. Plus, I'm having a bloody hard time narrowing down my options!

I'm going to be taking drama for sure, mainly because the school has an AMAZING drama department but also because one of my scholarships is a performing arts one. So I kind of have to, but I do want to because I enjoy having a creative outlet and I also think drama teaches confidence and presentational skills. I will most likely drop it at AS level. History is also a definite, as it is probably my favorite subject and I am considering doing it for degree. English Literature is probable - I've loved my GCSE course and I know that it will help my essay writing skills. An English degree is something I've thought about too.

So that leaves one space, which I want to fill with either Classical Civilisations or Economics. I did Class Civ GCSE and loved it, loved the characters and the stories and the culture. A classics degree is a possibility, but I know that I would have to do an ab initio Latin course and I'm not too fond of languages. I've never studied Economics, but I've read a lot about the course, and think that it looks really cool and might offer a little more breadth, especially as I have no idea of the career I want. It might be nice as a break from all the essays, too!! The only worry is that I might find it boring, but my Dad's an economist and we have some fascinating discussions! Economics degree needs maths, but it could be useful for PPE, economic history and history. Also, if I want to go into business after a history degree, that could help. I'm considering Oxbridge too.

Sorry, a little confusing, but any advice?
History, English and Economics would be 3 good A levels for History/English/PPE related courses. Drama wouldn't be so good when applying to unis so it would be a good idea to drop it in the second year.

Quick Reply

Latest