The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not to sound ignorant but is there anyway you can know if yours will be subject based or general? I like the sound of general a lot more..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Theawesomejem
Not to sound ignorant but is there anyway you can know if yours will be subject based or general? I like the sound of general a lot more..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on a) your subject and b) your College.

You will always have 1 or 2 subject interviews. You may also have a general interview.

Eg.
Engineering - college admissions info

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table1.html

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table2.html

Test & Interviews http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table3.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Not to sound ignorant but is there anyway you can know if yours will be subject based or general?

Some colleges (e.g. St John's) will specify this in their interview invitation letter. My letter (received on Nov 24 btw) contained the date, time, location and type (i.e. general/subject) of each interview as well as the names of the interviewers. It may also be advisable to look up the areas of interest of your interviewers to guess likely questions (although this is generally not precise and you should of course be prepared for everything :biggrin:). My general interview (I applied for Classics) was conducted by my furture DoS and a mathematics professor who is responsible for all undergraduates in St John's. One of the first questions by the mathematician was whether I could explain what fascinates me about my subject and explain my favourite piece of ancient literature to her, who was completely unrelated to it. I could have guessed that when I saw that she was no Classicist in my invitation letter, but I didn't think about it and was a bit confused at first because I obviously had to provide more general background knowledge/facts that I wouldn't have told an experienced classicist :colondollar:
Reply 23
If there is something of high significance (e.g. Head Boy/Girl) or something related to your degree - it will boost your application, but won't make up for bad/not expected grades. If you apply to Cambridge and the place is between you and someone else with exactly marks, A-levels, GCSEs, the same quality personal statements and interview but one was say Head Girl - then the Head Girl would be likely to get the place. (If it works like that, even though there is a small chance of that circumstance). When I apply for universities, I'd think of the worst possible scenario and ways to get out of it - so if I want to do a Physics degree I'd go to a summer school for Physics or become Head Boy to have that slight advantage but also because I'd want to do that.

Also you won't be applying just to Cambridge - other universities want people to have extracurricular stuff, even not related to the degree from what I've been told from school. And it's not just about putting it on your CV, do stuff you enjoy!
Reply 24
Original post by jamestg
If there is something of high significance (e.g. Head Boy/Girl) or something related to your degree - it will boost your application, but won't make up for bad/not expected grades. If you apply to Cambridge and the place is between you and someone else with exactly marks, A-levels, GCSEs, the same quality personal statements and interview but one was say Head Girl - then the Head Girl would be likely to get the place. (If it works like that, even though there is a small chance of that circumstance). When I apply for universities, I'd think of the worst possible scenario and ways to get out of it - so if I want to do a Physics degree I'd go to a summer school for Physics or become Head Boy to have that slight advantage but also because I'd want to do that.

Also you won't be applying just to Cambridge - other universities want people to have extracurricular stuff, even not related to the degree from what I've been told from school. And it's not just about putting it on your CV, do stuff you enjoy!

No, because there will NEVER be someone that's exactly matched, especially with something like the interview where it's difficult to quantify. A summer school for physics would be useful/relevant, but head boy/girl really wouldn't be. Most top unis don't care about your ECs and presumably your grades are good if you're applying to Cambridge so any other unis will give you an offer on the basis of your grades alone. It's such a small factor it may as well be irrelevant, so don't do it because you want to boost your application, do it because you want to do it. If you want to boost your application, do some reading on your subject, or do something related it's far more useful than anything else (apart from studying and getting better grades of course).
Original post by Thucydides96
My general interview (I applied for Classics)

that's amazing well done for your interview! I'm quite interested in classics because I enjoy English literature; I love reading; I love Greek mythology and I think Latin is a beautiful language. The only thing is I would want to be able to read the scriptures in their original language not their English translation and I know my language skills could never be up to par!!!:frown:
[QUOTE=TVIO;53935773 so don't do it because you want to boost your application, do it because you want to do it. If you want to boost your application, do some reading on your subject, or do something related it's far more useful than anything else (apart from studying and getting better grades of course).

I don't do any of my extras to boost my application I do them because I enjoy them but I have always been told to do lots of extras as Uni's like it and value them especially oxbridge. Also, my school have always put emphasis on it. Maybe extras/responsibilities are not as important as I first thought.
Original post by jamestg

This is my thinking too but people who have offers from there(Cambridge) are saying differently but I don't know :s
Reply 28
Original post by TVIO
No, because there will NEVER be someone that's exactly matched, especially with something like the interview where it's difficult to quantify. A summer school for physics would be useful/relevant, but head boy/girl really wouldn't be. Most top unis don't care about your ECs and presumably your grades are good if you're applying to Cambridge so any other unis will give you an offer on the basis of your grades alone. It's such a small factor it may as well be irrelevant, so don't do it because you want to boost your application, do it because you want to do it. If you want to boost your application, do some reading on your subject, or do something related it's far more useful than anything else (apart from studying and getting better grades of course).

It's not impossible for two exactly matched students, but it's improbable. Chances there will be at least two similar students though, maybe not completely exact but quite similar. Oxbridge want to attract the best students, being Head Boy/Girl and having these outstanding grades will show you are seriously at the top of your game.

All my ECs are stuff I wanted to do, although some I do regret (DofE), it has given me good memories and developed softer skills which are needed for life.

It's all very well getting A*s throughout your school career (except AS of course :wink:) and then getting a First at Cambridge, but if you've solely dedicated your time to your exams - employers want to know if you can actually do a job and work as part of a team.

Even going to a top uni, it doesn't guarantee you a great job. People leave from Cambridge with no graduate job! People need to make sure they've at least developed some soft skills by the time they want a job. You can say you can work in a team, but they would want to know what you've actually done as part of a team.

When my dad interviews people, he rejects them if they don't have any ECs despite having exceptional degrees. He would much rather have someone who has got a degree and some form of EC and work experience, than someone with just a First from Cambridge.
GCSE Predictions: 10 A*s I did 2 GCSEs last year and got 2 A*s

GCSE Mocks: 7A*s and 3 As

A-Level Choices: Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (or possibly French)

Courses Interested in: Medicine :colondollar:

Extra Curricular Stuff: Done Silver DOFE (doing Gold this summer), Bronze 'Arts Award' (Doing Silver currently, Gold gives UCAS points), Grade 5/6 Violin and in local youth orchestra, sailing and skiing :smile:
Original post by misscrouton
I'm looking to do maths and I honestly can't wait for a levels because there is so much more of it in my subjects :ahee:

I'm scared that I'll do really badly in interviews if I get them though :sigh: :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! don't be so hard on yourself anyone who says they aren't scared/nervous for any interview are liars or just unbelievably confident. Just trust if Cambridge is the Uni for you it'll be a nerve-wrecking process but the best you'll ever experience, that's what I think anyway. Judging by your grades academically you'll be fine.:smile:
Reply 31
Original post by orangeee22
GCSE Predictions: 10 A*s I did 2 GCSEs last year and got 2 A*s

GCSE Mocks: 7A*s and 3 As

A-Level Choices: Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (or possibly French)

Courses Interested in: Medicine :colondollar:

Extra Curricular Stuff: Done Silver DOFE (doing Gold this summer), Bronze 'Arts Award' (Doing Silver currently, Gold gives UCAS points), Grade 5/6 Violin and in local youth orchestra, sailing and skiing :smile:

Does gold get UCAS points?

Good mock results though and well done on your 2A*s! Here's to many more this summer! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

General interviews are nowhere near as important as subject interviews from what I've heard from various DoSes.

The point of Cambridge is that it is very much an academia focused environment. It's quite common for your DoS to actively discourage you from signing up to too many societies and extracurricular activities once you are there, so as not to distract you from the copious amount of work you'll be dealing with.

From your posts in this thread I get the general impression that you would like a well-rounded university experience. Although it's certainly possible to achieve this at Cambridge (I like to think I managed it to some extent :P) it's not the right uni to go to if that's your overriding goal imo. It is however absolutely the right uni if you are mad about your subject and are prepared to give it a lot of priority for at least 3 years of your life.
Reply 33
Original post by jamestg

no
Original post by ClickItBack
General interviews are nowhere near as important as subject interviews from what I've heard from various DoSes.

The point of Cambridge is that it is very much an academia focused environment. It's quite common for your DoS to actively discourage you from signing up to too many societies and extracurricular activities once you are there, so as not to distract you from the copious amount of work you'll be dealing with.

The only reason I like the sound of general interviews is because you can essentially "revise" the answers because they're always similar. I panic when I'm put on the spot so subject based questions are more likely to throw me off. I don't aspire to go to Cambridge for a fun time or what you call "a well rounded experience" I want to do so because of the work load, I like to work hard. It would be a waste of time and money (thousands) to go to any university for a fun time never mind somewhere as prestigious as Cambridge. Not to say having fun at university is a bad thing or joining lots of clubs while there is either, I just personally would focus on my subject because that's why I would be there. I wouldn't be there for my social life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only reason I like the sound of general interviews is because you can essentially "revise" the answers because they're always similar. I panic when I'm put on the spot so subject based questions are more likely to throw me off. I don't aspire to go to Cambridge for a fun time or what you call "a well rounded experience" I want to do so because of the work load, I like to work hard. It would be a waste of time and money (thousands) to go to any university for a fun time never mind somewhere as prestigious as Cambridge. Not to say having fun at university is a bad thing or joining lots of clubs while there is either, I just personally would focus on my subject because that's why I would be there. I wouldn't be there for my social life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough - it's just the way your posts came across in the thread that made me think that . Not that there's anything wrong with wanting a balanced uni experience - it's simply the case that Cambridge works you harder than even other top universities by a fair margin, so it's just something for anyone considering applying to understand and be OK with.

Definitely work on dealing with on the spot questions - you probably just need a bit of practice to convince yourself you're capable of it. Performing well in subject interviews and having good AS UMS are the major determinants for getting an offer. I've been explicitly told by some tutors that feedback from general interviews is mostly ignored - they seem to use them more as a way to relax the candidate rather than for actual selection. Indeed for some subjects and colleges, there are no general interviews at all.
Original post by jamestg

Good mock results though and well done on your 2A*s! Here's to many more this summer! :biggrin:

Thank you! The Gold arts award give I think around 30 points but unfortunately you don't get any from dofe :frown: well done for your results as well!
Reply 37
I'm actually quite worried. Considering AS exams will probably be scrapped, universities like Cambridge who don't really look at gcse results as much as other uni's will be forced to do so.

So even you didn't do as well as you could've at gcse, they're the only things they can judge you on before you take your a level exams at the end of the two years
Reply 38
Hey! don't be so hard on yourself anyone who says they aren't scared/nervous for any interview are liars or just unbelievably confident. Just trust if Cambridge is the Uni for you it'll be a nerve-wrecking process but the best you'll ever experience, that's what I think anyway. Judging by your grades academically you'll be fine.:smile:

Nope, hated every part of the experience it was terrifying but still got in. In general if you think the interview went well then it probably didn't as they let you down easy. All realistic candidates will be pushed hard.
Original post by TVIO
Nope, hated every part of the experience it was terrifying but still got in. In general if you think the interview went well then it probably didn't as they let you down easy. All realistic candidates will be pushed hard.

Actually I'd have to disagree with that, I have an offer and I went into my interview completely relaxed - I didn't find the experience nerve racking at all, I was just excited and slightly bemused by it all! This was because I didn't think I had much of a chance of getting in and was just giving it my best shot and thought it would be a cool experience either way. You're much better off not getting your heart set on it. I think they liked it, the interview went well because I was relaxed and confident, we even laughed about some stuff! I still felt like I had been pushed hard to think, but not in a scary way if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending