The Student Room Group

A bit of a AS Maths and FM module pickle ...

Ok so I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths and Further Maths at AS on Edexcel. I am doing C1, C2, S1 and FP1, M1 and D1. My maths has said that AS Maths will run as normal (nothing happens there), however for Further Maths FP1 and D1 will count towards the AS FM qualification (so AS FM is 'officially' incomplete), whereas the M1 I'm doing this year will count towards the A2 part of Maths next year. And obviously I will have to chose either M2 or S2 next year, to make up for the missing module in AS FM.

Anyway my question is, should I continue to go ahead with the teachers proposed idea or should I have it changed so that M1 goes to AS FM rather than A2 Maths. It's because I'm not 100% that I will go onto A2 FM, and also I want to know will this 'incomplete' AS qualification hinder me in anyway, any uni applications (as in will it hinder me in getting into the top 10 unis for engineering say)?

Answers are greatly appreciated!!:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by captainslow69
Ok so I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing Maths and Further Maths at AS on Edexcel. I am doing C1, C2, S1 and FP1, M1 and D1. My maths has said that AS Maths will run as normal (nothing happens there), however for Further Maths FP1 and D1 will count towards the AS FM qualification (so AS FM is 'officially' incomplete), whereas the M1 I'm doing this year will count towards the A2 part of Maths next year. And obviously I will have to chose either M2 or S2 next year, to make up for the missing module in AS FM.

Anyway my question is, should I continue to go ahead with the teachers proposed idea or should I have it changed so that M1 goes to AS FM rather than A2 Maths. It's because I'm not 100% that I will go onto A2 FM, and also I want to know will this 'incomplete' AS qualification hinder me in anyway, any uni applications (as in will it hinder me in getting into the top 10 unis for engineering say)?

Answers are greatly appreciated!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Edexcel sort out which applied modules go where you don't 'nominate'. Rules are:

maths: C1 - C4 + two applied
Fmaths AS: FP1 + two applied

You can't put M2 in maths without M1 being in there and ditto with S1 and S2- D1 can go in either.

Does that explain it? I'd try to complete the FM AS if you can.
Original post by Muttley79
Edexcel sort out which applied modules go where you don't 'nominate'. Rules are:

maths: C1 - C4 + two applied
Fmaths AS: FP1 + two applied

You can't put M2 in maths without M1 being in there and ditto with S1 and S2- D1 can go in either.

Does that explain it? I'd try to complete the FM AS if you can.

Wait so for Maths C1-C4 + M1 and S1
AS FM: FP1,D1 and S2

That combo there doesn't work? Also the teacher said about cashing in whatever that means.
Preferably you will have the AS level in FM as you really need it to get into uni.
If you only have 3 as levels your in bad luck im afraid.
Original post by captainslow69
Wait so for Maths C1-C4 + M1 and S1
AS FM: FP1,D1 and S2

That combo there doesn't work? Also the teacher said about cashing in whatever that means.

Yes but YOU don't decide, Edexcel do ...
C1 - C4 + M1/M2
C1 - C4 + S1/S2
C1 - C4 + S1/M1
C1 - C4 + S1/D1
C1 - C4 + M1/D1
are all OK for Maths then the rest go with FP1.

As I said - the choice is not yours unless, as has sometimes has happened, a student needs specific final grades of A/A rather than A*/B
Original post by Muttley79
Yes but YOU don't decide, Edexcel do ...
C1 - C4 + M1/M2
C1 - C4 + S1/S2
C1 - C4 + S1/M1
C1 - C4 + S1/D1
C1 - C4 + M1/D1
are all OK for Maths then the rest go with FP1.

As I said - the choice is not yours unless, as has sometimes has happened, a student needs specific final grades of A/A rather than A*/B

OK thank you I understand now :biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest