The Student Room Group

Least prestigious Russell Group universities.

In your opinion, list your bottom 3 RG Universities in terms of prestige.

I don't want an essay about it all depends on x, y and z etc, just list 'em. I'm curious (mainly because I think I'm in one of the ones that will be most popular).

Edit: Don't get dishestened by this thread if you're at some of the ones mentioned. Liverpool, QUB, Queen Mary and Cardiff etc are not bad universities and you should be proud to attend them - the thread is just stating that they are at the lower end of the elite British universities, so to say.

An analogy; The ones mentioned above are like, say, West Brom or QPR, not great teams in terms of premiership quality but in the grand scheme of English football clearly very good.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BenLynch9

I don't want an essay about it all depends on x, y and z etc, just list 'em. I'm curious (mainly because I think I'm in one of the ones that will be most popular).

In any order;

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
Queen Mary University of London

That's just my opinion.
Cambridge
oxford
durham

heard they're all pretty crap
Reply 3
I think they're all pretty good imo. But if I had to:

Queen's Belfast
Sheffield
Queen Mary

Simply because I never really hear anything about these.
Original post by a96clark
Cambridge
oxford
durham

heard they're all pretty crap

You're probably right. Those 3 universities are too traditional and the some people can suffer hostility there as there are always some snobs and rahs around.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Raymat
You're probably right. Those 3 universities are too traditional and the some people can suffer hostility there as they are always some snobs and rahs around.

There are snobs and rahs at most of the RG.
no offense but apart from the so called 'G5' (oxbridge, ucl, icl, lse).

there is no big deal about the other RGs (partly because the group is 24 strong thus exclusivity is watered down).

but i would say the bottom 3:
cardiff
QUB
I also don't really see the big deal with Liverpool

(we're talking about the unis as a whole here).
Original post by solarplexus
no offense but apart from the so called 'G5' (oxbridge, ucl, icl, lse).

there is no big deal about the other RGs (partly because the group is 24 strong thus exclusivity is watered down).
but i would say the bottom 3:
cardiff
QUB
I also don't really see the big deal with Liverpool

(we're talking about the unis as a whole here).

Would you say Cardiff is worse than Newcastle?
University of Glasgow
Queen's University Belfast
University of Liverpool
Original post by NotJustAName
University of Glasgow
University of Liverpool

University of Glasgow?! Are you sure?

Well I think as the G5 exists there should be an L5 (Low 5) of the Russell Group;

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
Cardiff University
(edited 9 years ago)
Eh, I agree Liverpool isn't one of the best but it honestly doesn't deserve the amount of criticism it sometimes receives. I couldn't be happier there and do not regret my choice at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
2 of the slots seem to to be filled with Liverpool and Queen Mary's London with the third between Cardiff/Newcastle/Belfast. Anymore?

Lowest 3 would be quite a hard decision. I would extend it to lowest 5 and then it becomes obvious.
Original post by Raymat
University of Glasgow?! Are you sure?

Well I think as the G5 exists there should be an L5 (Low 5) of the Russell Group;

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
Cardiff University

I really don't hear much about Glasgow. It's like Glasgow who? I'm sure it's a great uni though. :smile:
Original post by Raymat
Lowest 3 would be quite a hard decision. I would extend it to lowest 5 and then it becomes obvious.

Your 5, then?
Original post by Changing Skies
Eh, I agree Liverpool isn't one of the best but it honestly doesn't deserve the amount of criticism it sometimes receives. I couldn't be happier there and do not regret my choice at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can imagine it being really down to earth, friendly and unpretentious there.
2 of the slots seem to to be filled with Liverpool and Queen Mary's London with the third between Cardiff/Newcastle/Belfast. Anymore?

I can confidently say that they are the lowest 5. The rest are quite good.
Your 5, then?

Yes definitely as those 5 are pretty much the only ones, apart from Glasgow, being mentioned on this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NotJustAName
I can imagine it being really down to earth, friendly and unpretentious there.

I think I fit in a lot better than I would have at Durham etc :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raymat
Yes definitely as those 5 are pretty much the only ones, apart from Glasgow, being mentioned on this thread.

Sheffield also mentioned?