The Student Room Group

Maths degree without fm and sciences.

Im studying Maths, Psychology, Law and BTEC Business (dont laff pls :frown: ). If I manage to get all A's can i still do a maths degree without sciences and further maths at a decent university. Im not talking russell group but a decent one like dmu or leicester. I honestly dont know if im wasting my time i only figured out i wanted to do a Maths degree a couple weeks ago. My hearts set on it does anyone think I have a chance of getting offers etc? Also where can i look to ask about this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SunDun111
Im studying Maths, Psychology, Law and BTEC Business (dont laff pls :frown: ). If I manage to get all A's can i still do a maths degree without sciences and further maths at a decent university. Im not talking russell group but a decent one like dmu or leicester. I honestly dont know if im wasting my time i only figured out i wanted to do a Maths degree a couple weeks ago. My hearts set on it does anyone think I have a chance of getting offers etc? Also where can i look to ask about this?

possible.

(you will probably end up doing entirely pure maths at your degree, if that does not bother you)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
possible.

(you will probably end up doing entirely pure maths at your degree, if that does not bother you)

Why?

If you're doing regular Mathematics then some places might accept you.. But that'd depend on how strong the other applicants are. I know DMU would probably accept you given their requirements are as follows
Normally 280 UCAS Points from at least two A-Levels or equivalent, including A-level Mathematics at B or above with five GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths and English

BTEC requirements: Distinction Merit Merit (DMM) at National Diploma Level Additional qualifications can contribute toward the points score, such as a third A-level or AS-levels or equivalent International Baccalaureate: 30+ points - See more at: http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate-courses/mathematics.aspx#sthash.XmSKCtuj.dpuf

You should contact each of the universities and ask for their input.. They'll know..
Reply 4
Why?

well without top end methods from FP2/FP3 and physics it would be very tough to do applied units such as

mechanics
fluids
electromagnetism
waves
relativity
quantum mechanics
top end methods courses
Reply 5
Original post by Binary Freak
If you're doing regular Mathematics then some places might accept you.. But that'd depend on how strong the other applicants are. I know DMU would probably accept you given their requirements are as follows

You should contact each of the universities and ask for their input.. They'll know..

Cheers for the advice, when i look at leicester it basically says AAB with Maths at grade A. It dosent say anything about further maths or sciences but surely people who have these will get accepted over me? Even if i do get AAA at As level and pick up as further maths next year possibly?
Original post by TeeEm
well without top end methods from FP2/FP3 and physics it would be very tough to do applied units such as

mechanics
fluids
electromagnetism
waves
relativity
quantum mechanics
top end methods courses

Surely you get that taught that along the way? Lots of people at top Russell Group unis haven't even done FP2 and FP3...
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm

mechanics
fluids
electromagnetism
waves
relativity
quantum mechanics
top end methods courses

Honestly i dont want to do them kind of physics/mechanics kind of units. So i wouldn't mind.

I'm deducing that you're in year 12 otherwise you'd have your ucas application done.
How about doing further maths AS next year? :biggrin:
Reply 9
Honestly i dont want to do them kind of physics/mechanics kind of units. So i wouldn't mind.

that is what I said.

I you do not mind doing mainly pure I cannot see why not.
Cheers for the advice, when i look at leicester it basically says AAB with Maths at grade A. It dosent say anything about further maths or sciences but surely people who have these will get accepted over me? Even if i do get AAA at As level and pick up as further maths next year possibly?

Depends really..On how strong their UCAS statement is and some niche references. Some people can easily get accepted into places like Leicester and DMU with a significant PS and references and those grades would just top it off. Why not do FM at AS? and perhaps STEP just to show you're worth it? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Binary Freak
Depends really..On how strong their UCAS statement is and some niche references. Some people can easily get accepted into places like Leicester and DMU with a significant PS and references and those grades would just top it off. Why not do FM at AS? and perhaps STEP just to show you're worth it? :smile:
I plan to do further maths at AS. What is step? how do i do it?
Reply 12
Original post by TeeEm
that is what I said.

I you do not mind doing mainly pure I cannot see why not.

I plan on emailing some universities reguarding my sitatuion, Cheers for the reply mate.
Reply 13
Original post by lightningdoritos
Surely you get that taught that along the way? Lots of people at top Russell Group unis haven't even done FP2 and FP3...

Russell group does not automatically mean good...
At University you are not taught ... you teach yourself.
This spoon-feeding A level nonsense only takes place in Mickey Mouse Universities.

In my opinion no maths course is good enough if it does not expect minimum A* in both maths and further maths from any prospective student as minimum
Reply 14
It's possible.

There's a teacher at our college who got a maths degree at Lancaster without FM.
Reply 15
I plan on emailing some universities reguarding my sitatuion, Cheers for the reply mate.

I sincerely hope it works for you.
I plan to do further maths at AS. What is step? how do i do it?

Check here - With A2 Mathematics shouldn't be too hard for STEP 1 and 2

STEP 3 will be FM related.. If you don't have much over the summer I'd recommend self teaching FM during that time and just briefly go over the topics when you're doing it at college or whatever.. Then you can touch on some of the A2 stuff? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by aoxa
It's possible.

There's a teacher at our college who got a maths degree at Lancaster without FM.

That is why (s)he is a teacher.

As my comment would surely be controversial I am taking out of this comment able mathematicians that went into teaching purely for the "love of teaching and maths".
My experience of most maths teachers (not all) is that they would be professionally unemployable.
Original post by TeeEm
In my opinion no maths course is good enough if it does not expect minimum A* in both maths and further maths from any prospective student as minimum

This sort of post isn't helpful.
Original post by TeeEm
My experience of most maths teachers (not all) is that they would be professionally unemployable.

How offensive. Just as well we have thick skins.

Quick Reply

Latest