The Student Room Group

Should I take A-level further maths?

Hello, I am in year 11 and I'm interesting in a career to do with computer science. Recently, my school had an application for sixth form, and I chose maths, physics, and computer science. I thought that this was a good combination if I wanted to continue computer science.
However, after researching a bit more about universities, I found out that many of the top ones require further maths for a computer science course. Can I get into them without further maths? I can probably still change my A-level options, I just don't know if I would be good at further maths.
I generally enjoy maths - I usually get 7s and 8s for GCSE, however I didn't think that I was suitable for further maths since it seems like a massive step up from normal maths. Is it really that hard and do you think I should take it as a fourth A-level?? or am I fine without further maths??
My sons friend does CS at Oxford. Has FM A level but doesn’t have CS A level (but reads CS at Oxford)

For Oxford, you need to pass MAT which really needs FM

So, yes, if you want to read CS at a top uni, FM is highly advised, possibly more so than CS!

The “real” answer though is “what are the entrance requirements for the unis you want to apply to” and be guided by those
(edited 1 month ago)
honestly it can't hurt to take it plus most sixth forms/ colleges will let you drop a fourth A level if you can't hack it.
FM isn't that difficult- its js a ton of work
Grade 8s and above are usually what's required for FM so you shouldn't worry too much
Original post by wojtekkucza0
Hello, I am in year 11 and I'm interesting in a career to do with computer science. Recently, my school had an application for sixth form, and I chose maths, physics, and computer science. I thought that this was a good combination if I wanted to continue computer science.
However, after researching a bit more about universities, I found out that many of the top ones require further maths for a computer science course. Can I get into them without further maths? I can probably still change my A-level options, I just don't know if I would be good at further maths.
I generally enjoy maths - I usually get 7s and 8s for GCSE, however I didn't think that I was suitable for further maths since it seems like a massive step up from normal maths. Is it really that hard and do you think I should take it as a fourth A-level?? or am I fine without further maths??
Hello @wojtekkucza0,

Like @Johnny Valentine mentioned, the real question is whether the educational providers you're interested in require further maths. I would recommend that you do some research around the admissions requirements of the places you're interested in.

You might find our computer science study guide helpful too - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd. This explores how to prepare for a computer science degree, career prospects, salary expectations and more 😊 Plus, if you're interested in exploring our BSc (Hons) Computer Science programme, we don't require further maths!

I hope that this helps! Thanks,

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest