The Student Room Group

In my second year, realized I want to do something else

Hi guys. to make a long story short -

I am in my second year of a BSc in building surveying, and realized that I don't want to do the course. My passion has always been in history and geography, but sadly, like some do, I got pressured into building surveying by my parents. the old 'you won't get a job doing a degree in geography or history' etc... but I read up that you only get 4 years of finanical help :/ can anyone give me advice on what I can do? obviously I will only have 2 years of funding left after this year... thanks guys

and yes, before anyone says, I am an idiot for letting my parents choose my degree for me in the first place :/
I suggest dropping out and doing a degree in geography or history. Two years extra will cost you about £20,000, and in return you'll get to pursue an area you've always been passionate about. Don't live for your parents, do what you want to do! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Dylan thanks for the reply :smile:

Well I would just have to pay for an extra one year I think (this is my second so got 2 finance years left)

But really not sure how I'd afford it :/ I'd probably do geography to be honest as geography and environmental science (something I enjoy) is offered at my local uni for reduced prices! My current course is only £3250 a year which is nice :smile:
Original post by Jack182
Hi Dylan thanks for the reply :smile:

Well I would just have to pay for an extra one year I think (this is my second so got 2 finance years left)

But really not sure how I'd afford it :/ I'd probably do geography to be honest as geography and environmental science (something I enjoy) is offered at my local uni for reduced prices! My current course is only £3250 a year which is nice :smile:

Well in that case id definitely do it :biggrin:, you could get a loan for £3000 and just pay it back once you finish your degree and get a job. If you don't do it you'll only look back and regret it.
Reply 4
deffo go for it ! lifes too short
Reply 5
Original post by Jack182

I am in my second year of a BSc in building surveying, and realized that I don't want to do the course. My passion has always been in history and geography, but sadly, like some do, I got pressured into building surveying by my parents. the old 'you won't get a job doing a degree in geography or history' etc... but I read up that you only get 4 years of finanical help :/ can anyone give me advice on what I can do? obviously I will only have 2 years of funding left after this year... thanks guys

and yes, before anyone says, I am an idiot for letting my parents choose my degree for me in the first place :/

Hey there! I hardly ever post on this site but your current situation is almost identical to where I was two years ago, so I felt I should share my experience with you.

Two years ago I was in my second year of a business degree when I realised that I had absolutely no passion for the course or the future career in it. Like you I had originally intended to do a degree in geography (BSc) or environmental sciences, but was practically bullied into the business degree by my controlling father.

Anyways, second year of uni I decide I want to leave and pursue a degree in geography or environmental sciences instead, but like you I had no idea how I was going to fund the first year, since SLC would only loan me the tuition for years 2 and 3. Add onto that the process of going through individual meetings with each of my tutors and the course leader who all told me I would be making a huge mistake, and I ended up breaking my resolve and staying.

Quite easily my biggest regret in life.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't all bad; I graduated with a 1st and was hired very quickly, however I have not been the slightest bit happy and have instead felt massively unfulfilled since I passed up the opportunity.

I've now decided that I'm going back to uni, to pursue the degree of my dreams in Environmental Sciences. Though it means I'll be paying all three years' tuition myself I've saved every penny I could from my wages and so am set to pay the first two years off whilst a part time job will take care of the rest. Some may say I could spend the money on 'better things' but I disagree. I'd rather scrape by for three more years and get my life back on track than spend the next 50+ in an industry that I hate!

Honestly the position you are in right now is not as dire as it could be, and if you stay where you are I can tell you from experience that you are likely to regret it. My advice is to leave your degree and pursue the degree that you want, but don't rush into it and plan everything out.

If you're worried about the tuition money that you will need for first year, then why not take a year out and work, then apply for September 2016 admission? You could easily save up the money needed for your first year, and possibly even some extra to put into savings for the future. During that time you could even look into the courses you are interested in and decide whether it will be history, geography, environmental sciences, geophysics etc. You wouldn't want to rush into it only to find that one of the others suited you more!

At the end of the day there will be people who try to talk you out of it; however you just need to remember that only you know whether you will be happy staying put. As for your parents, they may have the best intentions in mind for you, but you're an adult and it's your own life that you need to live.

Sorry for such an essay; it was hard to condense it any further. I hope this gives you an insight into what I experienced and helps in some way. If you have any questions on anything then just let me know!
Original post by Jack182

hey man I'm in the same situation as you, second year dont like it anymore not doing particularly well, I've decided to apply for a higher apprenticeship which is £22k a year salary for 2 years i think, If i get this ill join the working world for a bit, get a new fast car and live for the gym and weekends then maybe reapply to uni again in the future, also this apprenticeship can lead to the equivalent of a degree :s-smilie:
Original post by sammylou
Hey there! I hardly ever post on this site but your current situation is almost identical to where I was two years ago, so I felt I should share my experience with you.

Two years ago I was in my second year of a business degree when I realised that I had absolutely no passion for the course or the future career in it. Like you I had originally intended to do a degree in geography (BSc) or environmental sciences, but was practically bullied into the business degree by my controlling father.

Anyways, second year of uni I decide I want to leave and pursue a degree in geography or environmental sciences instead, but like you I had no idea how I was going to fund the first year, since SLC would only loan me the tuition for years 2 and 3. Add onto that the process of going through individual meetings with each of my tutors and the course leader who all told me I would be making a huge mistake, and I ended up breaking my resolve and staying.

Quite easily my biggest regret in life.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't all bad; I graduated with a 1st and was hired very quickly, however I have not been the slightest bit happy and have instead felt massively unfulfilled since I passed up the opportunity.

I've now decided that I'm going back to uni, to pursue the degree of my dreams in Environmental Sciences. Though it means I'll be paying all three years' tuition myself I've saved every penny I could from my wages and so am set to pay the first two years off whilst a part time job will take care of the rest. Some may say I could spend the money on 'better things' but I disagree. I'd rather scrape by for three more years and get my life back on track than spend the next 50+ in an industry that I hate!

Honestly the position you are in right now is not as dire as it could be, and if you stay where you are I can tell you from experience that you are likely to regret it. My advice is to leave your degree and pursue the degree that you want, but don't rush into it and plan everything out.

If you're worried about the tuition money that you will need for first year, then why not take a year out and work, then apply for September 2016 admission? You could easily save up the money needed for your first year, and possibly even some extra to put into savings for the future. During that time you could even look into the courses you are interested in and decide whether it will be history, geography, environmental sciences, geophysics etc. You wouldn't want to rush into it only to find that one of the others suited you more!

At the end of the day there will be people who try to talk you out of it; however you just need to remember that only you know whether you will be happy staying put. As for your parents, they may have the best intentions in mind for you, but you're an adult and it's your own life that you need to live.

Sorry for such an essay; it was hard to condense it any further. I hope this gives you an insight into what I experienced and helps in some way. If you have any questions on anything then just let me know!

i find it quite bizarre you would want to do another degree, unless your trying to relive your youth, with a first class business degree and experience you could get into another industry, and even if you dont have experience you could get an entry level job if you prove you have passion/interest for the industry. buy yourself a new car or some clothes rather than another degree
Reply 8
Original post by studentLynch
i find it quite bizarre you would want to do another degree, unless your trying to relive your youth, with a first class business degree and experience you could get into another industry, and even if you dont have experience you could get an entry level job if you prove you have passion/interest for the industry. buy yourself a new car or some clothes rather than another degree

Nahh, nothing to do with 'reliving my youth' - university isn't like that unless you're someone who only goes there to party and drink. And also I'm not THAT old, thank you!

The problem with the degree I got is that it's not a BA Business or BA Marketing or any of the generic, easily transferable ones - it's quite a specified one which sets you up for the role it is geared towards. I've already hunted round for jobs I would like to do, and quite frankly they always state that they want graduates with relevant science degrees. Whilst it's true I could get a basic job in the area, all of those are the type where I would not be involved in the science side and would quickly hit a glass ceiling in the admin department.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'd rather spend my money on something which will make me happy in the long term, rather than splurge on a car or clothes.

Original post by studentLynch
hey man I'm in the same situation as you, second year dont like it anymore not doing particularly well, I've decided to apply for a higher apprenticeship which is £22k a year salary for 2 years i think, If i get this ill join the working world for a bit, get a new fast car and live for the gym and weekends then maybe reapply to uni again in the future, also this apprenticeship can lead to the equivalent of a degree :s-smilie:

Aren't you basically being hypocritical here, after saying that it would be bizarre for me to look into another degree? If you're going to do an apprenticeship then what is the point in doing a degree afterwards? The whole point of apprenticeships is for those who do not want to go/have the qualifications for university. If you don't intend to use the apprenticeship to gain the career you want then wouldn't it be better off going to someone who does?
Last thing: working life is not as rosy as it seems before you do it; your evenings and weekends will fly past before you notice and your money leaves your bank account the minute it is in there! :frown:
One option might be to transfer your existing university credits to the Open University. That way you wouldn't have to repeat years 1 and 2, but you'd only be able to study a limited amount of geography and history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending