The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do honestly.

This is my third year in Mechanical Engineering and since I started this career, I have felt that I should do something else. I love cars, that is the main reason why I chose this career, but soon I realized that this has little or nothing to do with cars in general or what I like about them the most (Personally I like modifying and repairing them) so when I realized this I started to think that I'm wasting my time studying something that I probably wouldn't take advantage of in the future. The other thing is... I'm from Venezuela and public education is very negligent, so negligent that it is estimated that we can graduate by the year 2030, for a degree that should last 5 years and even if I graduated I am not sure I would have obtained all the knowledge necessary to be a capable professional... I don't know if I want to continue wasting the rest of my other 7 years doing this. Don't get me wrong, I like the atmosphere, I have met many people and I have had very nice experiences, but every night when I get home I can never stop thinking about this situation, a situation for which I cannot find a solution because this career was -The only career that caught my attention - when I was younger since the study options where I live are not very broad and I cannot afford to leave my hometown. In addition to all this, yes, I do have goals in my life and I have dreams of being a car preparation mechanic and having my own workshop, I'm just not sure how to achieve all that and I don't think the career will take me on the right path that I want. Another of my goals is to be able to contribute financially to my family, I am the only child of two parents who are already quite elderly, our salary is very low to support us and I do not earn any money, I depend completely on them and I am afraid to continue depending on them at the age of 26-27 when I can finally graduate, but I am also afraid of disappointing them and other people by leaving my degree.

So yes, there are many things at once that run through my mind every day in an endless loop, I'm sorry to everyone who has to read all this, I know it's a lot, I needed a place to let it all out, thank you.
Reply 1
I was a Vehicle Tech at 2 dealers and then management before running my own company. Initially as an apprentice then level 3, IMI certs, HND and degree. You are in your last year so best to get your degree. I know someone who works Formula 1 and he has a ME degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending