The Student Room Group

Should I repeat a year?

I failed y0 art, and since tuition was expensive, my parents made me change subjects so I wouldn't waste my money on a subject I'm gonna fail again, so I did and withdrawn from art school. The school deleted all my school emails and confirmed my withdrawal. But after a while of thinking, I realized I would not be happy and fulfilled doing something else other than art, so my parents suggested asking if it was a bit cheaper if I retook y0 ( which I don't think it would). And if I wanted to repeat, will I need to do the ucas stuff all over again and wait until next year's admission?
If art is your passion, you should follow your heart. You would have to redo your UCAS application for next year or you could apply within Clearing this year.
Original post by nheafried
I failed y0 art, and since tuition was expensive, my parents made me change subjects so I wouldn't waste my money on a subject I'm gonna fail again, so I did and withdrawn from art school. The school deleted all my school emails and confirmed my withdrawal. But after a while of thinking, I realized I would not be happy and fulfilled doing something else other than art, so my parents suggested asking if it was a bit cheaper if I retook y0 ( which I don't think it would). And if I wanted to repeat, will I need to do the ucas stuff all over again and wait until next year's admission?

Have you looked at the reasons why you failed your foundation year? Was it lack of commitment, health issues or lack of ability? If the latter, are you sure this is the right path for you? It is worth examining the reasons for failing to ensure that it is the right path for you.
@nheafried

An art foundation is for the purpose of building your artistic skills, portfolio and to help get a clearer idea of what area of art you are interested in e.g. product design, graphic design, fashion design or fine art.

Do you have a portfolio of artwork which shows a range of skills/ ideas and experimentation?

If so, you could apply to study art at university without having to do another foundation course.

If you have a UCAS application, you can apply through clearing.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Do what your heart wants to do, even if it isn't what your parents want. Remember you're becoming an adult who makes their own decisions when it comes to university. If you move away from home you won't have to worry about parental restrictions. Student Finance exists for tuition fees and maintenance; they aren't as scary as they appear to be at first glance!

You can always apply through clearing at various universities that offer what you want, as others have mentioned on this thread. You just need to fill out a UCAS application dedicated to art and advertise your passion to the universities you want to go to!

Hope this helps,
Dom
(edited 9 months ago)

Hi there!

It’s a really difficult decision for you but if you study something you enjoy, it will make your degree that little bit easier! University can also be a lot of money to invest in something that you aren’t happy doing.

I would look into what I felt went wrong during the first year and see if this is something you can change. You would also be a lot more prepared going into it again as you know what to expect!

It’s worth having a look in clearing about what universities offer and the difficult courses, maybe you could find one that’s close to home and then you can save some money on living costs.

I hope this helps and good luck! ☺️

- Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending