The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance - Progression & Feeling to Quit!

I need advice!

I’m in my second year of doing Accounting & Finance. Unlike most with a direct career choice, I was confused. In sixth form I did Accounting, Maths and Sociology. I didn’t attend any exams due to so much going on and failed. I decided to do Business Management in the following academic year, but only did a year and dropped out for the second so did not receive the full qualification. Again, I felt I was in an ocean of family problems and it overwhelmed me whilst studying. I took a break to work, then at 20 a did an Access to Social Science and Health course, which I completed and did very well on. I got into all 5 university choices but chose Birmingham University to do Social Work (21) but my documents apparently didn’t check out as they needed more so I had to go on a clearing course at Wolverhampton University who was one of my options. However, due to already choosing my 1st choice (BU), I lost my spot at Wolverhampton for Social Work and so ended up doing Accounting & Finance that was offered on their clearing. I thought I’d be good now, but mental health and all got in the way and I missed all my 1st year lessons. I didn’t want to defer because I saw so many people my age now graduating and wanted to push myself. I passed my first year after studying all the modules on the WEEK of the exams - passing 4/6 modules. The other 2 modules would be taken in a 4th year in future (as you know it’s usually 3 years but now with an additional year for the failed first year modules). At 23, I’m in my second year but it’s like my first year repeated. My exams are coming, I find that I actually HATE the course. I feel like I have no option from here. If I don’t finish, I’d be in student finance debt. And if I do, it’s merely gonna be a lucky pass - getting a 3rd degree which is pointless.

Has there been anyone who’s dropped out in 2nd year but have still managed to complete a degree? I really wish I’d done social work as I’m really good at theory. If I focussed during Accounting and Finance I wouldn’t have been in this position but feel it’s too late.
Reply 1
Original post by Keke99
I need advice!

I’m in my second year of doing Accounting & Finance. Unlike most with a direct career choice, I was confused. In sixth form I did Accounting, Maths and Sociology. I didn’t attend any exams due to so much going on and failed. I decided to do Business Management in the following academic year, but only did a year and dropped out for the second so did not receive the full qualification. Again, I felt I was in an ocean of family problems and it overwhelmed me whilst studying. I took a break to work, then at 20 a did an Access to Social Science and Health course, which I completed and did very well on. I got into all 5 university choices but chose Birmingham University to do Social Work (21) but my documents apparently didn’t check out as they needed more so I had to go on a clearing course at Wolverhampton University who was one of my options. However, due to already choosing my 1st choice (BU), I lost my spot at Wolverhampton for Social Work and so ended up doing Accounting & Finance that was offered on their clearing. I thought I’d be good now, but mental health and all got in the way and I missed all my 1st year lessons. I didn’t want to defer because I saw so many people my age now graduating and wanted to push myself. I passed my first year after studying all the modules on the WEEK of the exams - passing 4/6 modules. The other 2 modules would be taken in a 4th year in future (as you know it’s usually 3 years but now with an additional year for the failed first year modules). At 23, I’m in my second year but it’s like my first year repeated. My exams are coming, I find that I actually HATE the course. I feel like I have no option from here. If I don’t finish, I’d be in student finance debt. And if I do, it’s merely gonna be a lucky pass - getting a 3rd degree which is pointless.

Has there been anyone who’s dropped out in 2nd year but have still managed to complete a degree? I really wish I’d done social work as I’m really good at theory. If I focused during Accounting and Finance I wouldn’t have been in this position but feel it’s too late.

I dropped out of 4th year in Medicine after my mother died. I gave up and entered the job market at 23 years old. I was demoralized as I struggled to make ends meet on dead end jobs. I started drinking heavily and experimented with prescription medicine. Depression kicked and on several occasions I was tempted to " delete myself" from life. After a botched attempt to "delete myself" I woke up at the hospital to realized that my attending doctor was my classmate at medical school. He encouraged me to get counselling/therapy. It's been 8 years since. I'm not only clean, I challenged myself and went back to Uni and graduated with Masters in Accounting and Finance. I hated accounting in Secondary school but now I'm happily and gainfully employed as a certified accountant at at a big corporation. I also have a family of my own and very content with life.
Its not too late to recalibrate your life at anytime. It's your life to live not a competition to win. One day someone would be inspired by your story to motivate themselves to refocused their lives. however if social work is your passion then by all means do what makes you happy. In the end, you're the author of your purpose, everyone else is just ready
Reply 2
Original post by Mmasek1
I dropped out of 4th year in Medicine after my mother died. I gave up and entered the job market at 23 years old. I was demoralized as I struggled to make ends meet on dead end jobs. I started drinking heavily and experimented with prescription medicine. Depression kicked and on several occasions I was tempted to " delete myself" from life. After a botched attempt to "delete myself" I woke up at the hospital to realized that my attending doctor was my classmate at medical school. He encouraged me to get counselling/therapy. It's been 8 years since. I'm not only clean, I challenged myself and went back to Uni and graduated with Masters in Accounting and Finance. I hated accounting in Secondary school but now I'm happily and gainfully employed as a certified accountant at at a big corporation. I also have a family of my own and very content with life.
Its not too late to recalibrate your life at anytime. It's your life to live not a competition to win. One day someone would be inspired by your story to motivate themselves to refocused their lives. however if social work is your passion then by all means do what makes you happy. In the end, you're the author of your purpose, everyone else is just ready

I also needed to hear this,
hope your doing well ! very inspiring
Original post by Keke99
I need advice!

Has there been anyone who’s dropped out in 2nd year but have still managed to complete a degree? I really wish I’d done social work as I’m really good at theory. If I focussed during Accounting and Finance I wouldn’t have been in this position but feel it’s too late.

You don't need a degree to get into accounting.
Reply 4
(Original post by mathperson)You don't need a degree to get into accounting.

what do you need
Original post by Maya4955
(Original post by mathperson)You don't need a degree to get into accounting.

what do you need

A willingness to learn. That's it.

Granted, you won't get on a graduate program. But you can be a new starter at an accounting firm and the firm will pay for your accounting qualifications.
Reply 6
thankyou
Original post by mathperson
A willingness to learn. That's it.

Granted, you won't get on a graduate program. But you can be a new starter at an accounting firm and the firm will pay for your accounting qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending