The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Likelihood of MSc Admission?

Hey everyone. I've got a question for anyone who's kind enough to give me some answers. I'd super appreciate it.

I'm a Canadian undergraduate student and am interested in applying to LSE for the MSc Economics and Management, or as a second choice, MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics. I'll be applying for fall 2016 admission as I still have one more year of my undergrad to complete.

Some background about me:

I'm studying at the University of Calgary, which is a decent University in Canada, but is by no means the best and as far as I know doesn't have a lot of international stature. If it does, word certainly doesn't make it back to campus haha.

I'm pursuing a combined degree in Political Science and Economics, both with honours. The PoliSci degree incorporates an honours thesis while Economics does not.

I have not yet sat the GRE exam but i don't anticipate any problem with scoring very highly on it.

The part that worries me most is my GPA - only a 3.5. I expect it to improve over the course of my final two semesters. However, as my application will be submitted as soon as possible (as per LSE's recommendation given rolling admissions) 3.5 will be my GPA at the time of application. I see that the Canadian application requirement is only a 3.3 with honours, but I'm also aware that is only a minimum.

I've also maintained two part time jobs throughout the course of my undergrad and done some substantial political volunteer work - though it's tapered off in the last couple years.

Will a good GRE score, the double honours, and the multitasking between school and work help offset my weak GPA?

In other words, what are my chances?

Also if you guys have any tips to give my application any possible edge, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses, I really appreciate you taking the time :smile:

Reply 1
IF you dont mind me asking

were you admitted?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Unfortunately not. I ended up attending Warwick instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending