The Student Room Group

Mathematics Masters Chances?

Hi, I was wondering what my chances are of getting accepted to a high ranking university for maths masters, like KCL, UCL, Imperial (or even some slightly lower ranking ones like QM or Surrey) if my undergraduate university that I'm doing my math degree in is although accredited, is however an ex-poly, low on rankings and is focused on the 'easier' applied math course.

I was reading some other post very similar to this for Oxbridge and it said an undergraduate math course like mine had a 'real danger of not being sufficient preparation', which was my initial worry and it makes sense. I was wondering if that condition applied to the other universities I mentioned. Also is there anything I can do besides self preparing by reading some books and teaching myself some of the required material, which I don't even know is sufficient or helpful enough for my application.

Some other info: I'm starting my final year in a couple of weeks and I got 80% on average in my second year without really trying too hard and my A-Levels were A*ABB (Math, Physics, FM and Chemistry) if that matters. If you need any other information please let me know.

Thank You!
Reply 1
Original post by ezpzlemonsqez
Hi, I was wondering what my chances are of getting accepted to a high ranking university for maths masters, like KCL, UCL, Imperial (or even some slightly lower ranking ones like QM or Surrey) if my undergraduate university that I'm doing my math degree in is although accredited, is however an ex-poly, low on rankings and is focused on the 'easier' applied math course.

I was reading some other post very similar to this for Oxbridge and it said an undergraduate math course like mine had a 'real danger of not being sufficient preparation', which was my initial worry and it makes sense. I was wondering if that condition applied to the other universities I mentioned. Also is there anything I can do besides self preparing by reading some books and teaching myself some of the required material, which I don't even know is sufficient or helpful enough for my application.

Some other info: I'm starting my final year in a couple of weeks and I got 80% on average in my second year without really trying too hard and my A-Levels were A*ABB (Math, Physics, FM and Chemistry) if that matters. If you need any other information please let me know.

Thank You!

If you get a first then the likelihood is pretty good I think. The issue of not covering certain courses only matters if you are actually going to do courses that require things you've missed. I never did any higher level applied courses in undergraduate, but it didn't matter as I was never going to do masters level applied courses. I would recommend looking at the places you'd like to apply to, then looking at their courses see which ones you want to do and look at their course pre-requisites and see if you have them. I'm quite curious, what courses have you done so far and what courses are you taking this year?
Hi there, @ezpzlemonsqez

Good to hear you're considering Surrey.

Do have a look at the Maths MSc course page on Surrey's website, and you'll find the relevant requirements, as well as all of the modules offered.

If you still have any doubts, give the Admissions Team a ring through this page, and they'll be able to answer any outstanding questions, which may also be relevant to other applications.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest