The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Social Life At KCL - what's it like?

I'm thinking of applying to KCL for Management. I'd be a mature student (23) when I started but I intend to stay in halls and go out partying and everything :yep:

Would I fit in as a mature student? Does KCL have a good SU/societies/clubs etc.? Do they hold Balls like other uni societies do? What's it like in halls? Are there a lot of international students due to it being a London uni and are they less likely to want to go out? Would you say it's a "party uni"?

Reply 1
Original post by NickEgg
I'm thinking of applying to KCL for Management. I'd be a mature student (23) when I started but I intend to stay in halls and go out partying and everything :yep:

Would I fit in as a mature student? Does KCL have a good SU/societies/clubs etc.? Do they hold Balls like other uni societies do? What's it like in halls? Are there a lot of international students due to it being a London uni and are they less likely to want to go out? Would you say it's a "party uni"?

Hi there,

First of all, good luck with your application process. I am sure you will have a very good experience here at King's. I am currently a King's student living at Champion Hill Residence. As for social life at King's Halls, people are very nice and friendly. In each residence, we have wardens and Residence Life Assistants (RLAs). They are nice enough to organize events on special oc
casions and bring people together from time to time.

As for clubs, you can check this link:
http://www.kclsu.org/

Under the "Get Involved" thread, you can find loads of clubs and societies and I hope they will suit your expectations.

As for international students, I am also an international student and you can be sure that we are fun and friendly. Being in London is a great opportunity for us and we want to make the most of it.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Best wishes,

Gulsah
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by NickEgg

I'm in halls at SSA and it's been amazing for me in my first year! If you make friends with the right people I would definitely say it's a party uni, especially in the first term. There are so many options to go out that you dont really need the SU, although the drinks are cheap! There are loads of international students and a few mature ones so you wont be left out! The great thing about KCL is the variety of people you'll meet from all over the UK and the world!
Reply 3
Original post by glshk
Hi there,

First of all, good luck with your application process. I am sure you will have a very good experience here at King's. I am currently a King's student living at Champion Hill Residence. As for social life at King's Halls, people are very nice and friendly. In each residence, we have wardens and Residence Life Assistants (RLAs). They are nice enough to organize events on special oc
casions and bring people together from time to time.

As for clubs, you can check this link:
http://www.kclsu.org/

Under the "Get Involved" thread, you can find loads of clubs and societies and I hope they will suit your expectations.

As for international students, I am also an international student and you can be sure that we are fun and friendly. Being in London is a great opportunity for us and we want to make the most of it.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Best wishes,

Gulsah

Thanks :smile: It seems really fun! Do you know any mature students (21 or over) by any chance? I'll be 23 when I start, should I get an offer.

Are you allowed to join clubs/societies from other University of London unis if one isn't offered at KCL?

Sorry for the late reply by the way - I don't come on TSR often! :doh:

leapfrog
I'm in halls at SSA and it's been amazing for me in my first year! If you make friends with the right people I would definitely say it's a party uni, especially in the first term. There are so many options to go out that you dont really need the SU, although the drinks are cheap! There are loads of international students and a few mature ones so you wont be left out! The great thing about KCL is the variety of people you'll meet from all over the UK and the world!

Thank you! :biggrin: Yep, I was worried about getting there and people judging me based on being 23, or the halls not being sociable (I've heard stories about people not always clicking with flatmates etc.). It seems like a blast though! How old are the mature students you know if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NickEgg

They don't do "balls" here but they have loads of freshers clubbing events and their are loads of people your age and 23 doesn't look that older than most 18/19 year olds so you will be ok I reckon :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah as Sykro said I doubt people will even notice you're older than them, I certainly don't and have been surprised when I found out people I knew quite well were around 24 as I just expect everyone to be my age :tongue: And the people I know around 23/24 all seem to be able immerse themselves into the social scene well and be friends with people who are a range of ages :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest