The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History 6HI01D - Wednesday 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LivK
I did the same questions!
For 6 I talked about Lenin's leadership, ban on factions, civil war (Whites weaknesses vs Reds Strenghts), propaganda, war communism, NEP, trotzy and Red Army and the Cheka.

I agree the second one was more difficult! I used the same approach but also mentioned the increase in women employed industry, only mention Magnitogorsk and didn't really mention collectivisation.. I didn't have anything on the purges though and it's freaking me out.. I only said that they favoured quantity over quality...

Anyway I think yours should get you an A considering how you answered! Good luck!

Thank you! Yeah looks like we got most of the same stuff which is good, i forgot women and as soon as I came out the exam I realised:frown: I'm sure we will have done enough to get good marks! Good luck. What second unit are you doing?
Original post by Libertine66
I mismanaged the time and only managed around 700 words on the Bolshevik consolidation. Will that be enough for a C?:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

I dont really think the word count is what matters but what factors you included.... so if u included at least three and managed to analyse them then i think you will be fine
Original post by jabire3
I did something like that. Basically said they maintained control by controlling the economic, political and social aspects of society. Violence was used in both the civil war and at home (War Communism) to maintain economic and social control. Briefly mentioned the human costs of that. Spoke about the weaknesses of the opposition (geographically spread, disunited, foreign aid). Mentioned how this was more important as a stronger force could have changed the outlook as Colchak (I think) was very close to Petrograd. The most significant factor was Lenin's pragmatism, his decision to replace War Communism with NEP after the Kronstadt Rebellion regained mass social support and reinvigorated the economy. He also banned political factions maintaining political control.

Anyone do the power struggle question for Stalin (I said it wasn't and showed how Stalin's position as General Secretary, the tactical nature of the alliances and the suppression of the testament were more important).

I did the power struggle one as well and talked about the contenders personalities, their governmental positions, how ideological conflicts led to alliances forming and thats all I had time for
Original post by Stefi27
I did the power struggle one as well and talked about the contenders personalities, their governmental positions, how ideological conflicts led to alliances forming and thats all I had time for

As long as you address the question constantly and use evidence to back up your argument, it is not difficult to sneak into Band 4. Either way, do not stress over the exam, it is over, it is done, focus on what is coming :smile:
I did the power struggle one and I had one paragraph on how their ideological conflicts led to them forming alliances, one paragraph on the contenders personalities and one paragraph on their positions.... That's all I had time for
did anyone do the individual freedoms question in D5? about half of my class did it (including me) presuming it meant protest culture in the civil rights movement and african americans so we all spoke about birmingham and selma etc, then black power...we're all scared that we've done it completely wrong :frown:
Reply 986
Original post by PaulJenkinson
Question definitely had success in it

so do you think it's possible to get into band 3 with talking about other factors?
Original post by koolthing
did anyone do the individual freedoms question in D5? about half of my class did it (including me) presuming it meant protest culture in the civil rights movement and african americans so we all spoke about birmingham and selma etc, then black power...we're all scared that we've done it completely wrong :frown:

A number of people did it in my college... I didn't even bother reading the 2nd question. Just did NAACP straight away + Nixon.

"Protest Culture" probably to an extent entailed African American movements, but also Hispanics, Native Indians/Americans and other ethnic minorities such as the Irish and to a lesser extent Chinese.

Edexcel are complete idiots for phrasing questions in a weird manner, it's almost as if they want you to fall on the first hurdle.

I hope for your sake and people who chose the question, your points are in the mark scheme. But unlikely.
Original post by _Aqsxo
so do you think it's possible to get into band 3 with talking about other factors?

Probably depends on to what extent yo used NAACP; the other information would be mostly irrelevant so you'd just not get marks for the content of it. Good structure and a good amount of NAACP content and you could get into band 4 I think.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a bit of reasurance. I talked about brown v board and the Jim crow laws and how naacp appealed to 13&14&15 ammendment and also referred to them limiting the kkk. I did a small part on failures of the naacp, about 7 lines worth so hopefully should get some marks for that.
Probably depends on to what extent yo used NAACP; the other information would be mostly irrelevant so you'd just not get marks for the content of it. Good structure and a good amount of NAACP content and you could get into band 4 I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a bit of reasurance. I talked about brown v board and the Jim crow laws and how naacp appealed to 13&14&15 ammendment and also referred to them limiting the kkk. I did a small part on failures of the naacp, about 7 lines worth so hopefully should get some marks for that.
Hi Amy, hope you are enjoying the exam season! (As I am sure we all are).

I also did the exam today on Civil Rights, I'm sure you did fine. Your inclusion of the NAACP and it's use of litigation through the courts is relevant in both Brown cases (Although I did argue that Brown II was a failure of the NAACP, it was overly reliant on forms of litigation and there was very little 'de facto' change, the key quote was "With all deliberate speed" and only 3% of Black Americans were is desegregated schools).

The point which you've made in regards to the murder of Emmett Till would be best suited in your argument where you analyse the failures of the NAACP (They had underestimated the level of popular white resistance - Pres. Eisenhower, Emmett Till's lynching, White Citizens Council and local states outlawing the NAACP). But your inclusion would be credited.

As for the points you've made regarding Freedom Summer; they are questionable, however they may be credited, but ultimately it depends on the phrasing of your answer.

The Montgomery Bus Boycott, I said, was unfinished and the NAACP was required to 'finish the job' LOL. The NAACP successfully implemented the desegregation of interstate transport in Browder v Gayle an event directly influenced and effected by MLK during the Bus Boycotts. I made a separate point on the NAACP's success using Morgan v Virginia as evidence.
Original post by koolthing

I did the exact same thing urgh :frown: did you mention MLK and Malcolm X with non violence and violence? I think I've completely mucked up tbh :/ ah and I was the only person in my class to pick the question!
anyone did the civil rights question on how successful where the NAACP in improving the status of african americans the years 1945-55? I didnt speak about other factors and was wondering if we had to?? Also what points did u include??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jemmabb
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jemma,

Your reference of the Brown case is perfectly relevant to the Jim Crow Laws (Established in Plessy v Ferguson 1896) on the doctrine of "Separate but equal".

Again, you are correct and it would be perfectly appropriate to include the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the constitution as the framework which Thurgood Marshall used in both Brown (1954) and Morgan v Virginia (1946).

The failures of the NAACP (Which I hope you have included) would be - 'Popular white resistance' this being ultimately in the form of the KKK and their lynching of Emmett Till as backlash towards the Brown ruling and how the NAACP had underestimated the level of resistance towards this, which was the eventual cause for their demise).

I'm sure you did fine as you have included all relevant points. Ensure that you had evaluated you points which were on the contrary t your argument, and you could be well on your way to securing a sound Level 4!

Regards, Gunnarsunn (Sorry for he long reply, want to rest you laurels and reassure you).
Original post by Immakabiri
anyone did the civil rights question on how successful where the NAACP in improving the status of african americans the years 1945-55? I didnt speak about other factors and was wondering if we had to?? Also what points did u include??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

As this is a 'change' question, you simply give an argument 'for' and against' rather that including varying factors as the key contributor.

The points which you could include in terms of successes would be: Morgan v Virginia, Brown, Sweatt v Painter and Browder v Gayle. For failures you could include: Smith v Allwright and Brown II.

However, the above points can vary, as long as your argument is relevant you can argue the cases either way. Of course, this is the way I argued in the exam today.

Regards, Gunnarsunn - I'm sure you did fine! Onwards and upwards from here!
Key topic areas to do practice exam qs on unit 2 britain v india??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 997

Someoene told me you can get marks for historical content :/
and thanks! makes me feel better :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
I did the exact same thing urgh :frown: did you mention MLK and Malcolm X with non violence and violence? I think I've completely mucked up tbh :/ ah and I was the only person in my class to pick the question!

Hi Gorwell,

I did not do this question but I may provide a brief insight which can ease your worries.

If I remember it asked about protest culture (Counter Culture) here you could have included: Beatniks, Hippies, SDS and the FSM (student left wing groups), Rock culture and the rejection of the Vietnam War.

Again I may be wrong as I cannot completely remember the question, but these may possibly be valid points which you could have put in your argument. If so, then well done! If not, what did you include and how did you phrase it? There's no right or wrong answer, as long as your argument was convincing and was backed up with detail and evidence, you would be credited.

Regards, Gunnarsunn.
Original post by Crozzer24
Thank you! Yeah looks like we got most of the same stuff which is good, i forgot women and as soon as I came out the exam I realised:frown: I'm sure we will have done enough to get good marks! Good luck. What second unit are you doing?

Hi, sorry for interupting but I'm really worried about the question 6. was I totally off the topic when I went on and on over factors that helped Bolsheviks won Civil War such as Trotsky and Lenin's leadership, war communism, propaganda without making any metion of other measures?? If so, can I gain any marks for that or just simply a zero? Anyone can help me answer this? Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending