The Student Room Group

2015 entry: Dental nursing at portsmouth

Heya guys

I've been offered an interview to study Dental nursing at the University of Portsmouth.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions:

- What kind of questions will they ask? (I initially applied applied for Dental hygiene and therapy so they'll probably know that Dental Nursing wasn't my first option)

- What difference does it make if you study dental nursing at a university or college?

- Have you studied Dental nursing at Portsmouth? If so how was it?

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Anyone? :smile:
I was interviewed there too :smile: Bot heard anything back yet though. How about you?
Hi! How did you get on?

I got a conditional yesterday so I'm pretty pleased!
Original post by Ladystephanina
Hi! How did you get on?

I got a conditional yesterday so I'm pretty pleased!

Congratulations! :smile::redface:

Had you applied to DN only? Or had you also applied to DH&T?

When was your interview?

I personally really liked the interview! The staff were lovely!
H&T first but they said I needed more background and my work exp hadn't done much shadowing a H&T. Had an interview at Plymouth too but had to withdraw as couldn't make it down and they wouldn't rearrange. Was a bit gutted but I love Portsmouth and can't wait to start now!

My interview was April 14th...and same. Loved the place and the people. Felt really good when I left (that changed within 2 hours though and managed to convince myself I had messed up and not got in ha).

How about you?
(edited 8 years ago)
H&T first but they said I needed more background and my work exp hadn't done much shadowing a H&T. Had an interview at Plymouth too but had to withdraw as couldn't make it down and they wouldn't rearrange. Was a bit gutted but I love Portsmouth and can't wait to start now!

My interview was April 14th...and same. Loved the place and the people. Felt really good when I left (that changed within 2 hours though and managed to convince myself I had messed up and not got in ha).

How about you?

Oooh I see!

Have you applied straight from school?

Same with me - Other universities rejected me because they thought my PS didn't explain the role of a Dental H&T very well.

Are you going to re-apply for 2016 entry?

And was the DN interview offered to you as an alternative or had you initially applied for that?
I will reapply yep but she did say they like you to work a year in between but can still apply.

No I it told that from Portsmouth and they advised me to apply for nursing or get more experience so applied for nursing and off I go :smile:
I will reapply yep but she did say they like you to work a year in between but can still apply.

No I it told that from Portsmouth and they advised me to apply for nursing or get more experience so applied for nursing and off I go :smile:

Oooh I see!

Are you from London?

The thing with studying DN at Portmouth is that you can still apply to other unis but seems Portsmouth won't consider your application if you don't work at least a year before re-applying.
From Manchester ha. Bit of a track but I've wanted to head down that way for years now.

Yeh that's what I've gathered. If I have to work a year it's not the worst thing in the world...either that or apply elsewhere like you say. There are a number of options I guess.

So are you going to be at Portsmouth too then?
From Manchester ha. Bit of a track but I've wanted to head down that way for years now.

Yeh that's what I've gathered. If I have to work a year it's not the worst thing in the world...either that or apply elsewhere like you say. There are a number of options I guess.

So are you going to be at Portsmouth too then?

I'm not entirely sure yet :redface:

Have you thought about accommodation? I'm absolutely clueless about it :colondollar::biggrin:
Where else do you have offers? or are you thinking of waiting until next year now?

Im renting a house as I have 2 children. They are 5 and 2.

Just us 3...big move for us :smile:
Where else do you have offers? or are you thinking of waiting until next year now?

Im renting a house as I have 2 children. They are 5 and 2.

Just us 3...big move for us :smile:

Aww that's nice! Seems like a good area for children as well. Can take them to the funfair by the sea :biggrin::tongue:

I'm trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages. I'm stuck between if I should do dental nursing as an apprenticeship (Or at college once a week whilst working as a DN) or at Portsmouth.

If I stay in London I won't have to worry much about living/accommodation expenses. I'll only have to pay for the course at college or it'll be free as an apprenticeships whilst still getting paid (Although it's quite low).

One specific point I like about the apprenticeship is your working in an actual dental clinic so I think I'll gain more experience? & I think through that I'll still be able to re-apply to Portsmouth.

Anyways good luck with your year! I'm very happy for you and I hope everything works out for the best for you! :smile:
Yeh it's a tough one. There are def pro's and con's! It's easier for me this way because I have my 2 children.

I also like the fact we will be working with lots of different people and will get used to adapting to different ways in which people work instead of only working with one or two people if you get me?

Plus it's done in less than a year and I suppose if I do have to take a year out to work it will go pretty quickly and it's all experience and that is never a bad thing!

Can always apply to other places too like you said.

It's different for me as I'll be renting a house and settling down whereas you (I presume) will be moving back home once done so I guess it is easier and less upheaval to stay put and earn as you learn ha.

Decisions!
Yeh it's a tough one. There are def pro's and con's! It's easier for me this way because I have my 2 children.

I also like the fact we will be working with lots of different people and will get used to adapting to different ways in which people work instead of only working with one or two people if you get me?

Plus it's done in less than a year and I suppose if I do have to take a year out to work it will go pretty quickly and it's all experience and that is never a bad thing!

Can always apply to other places too like you said.

It's different for me as I'll be renting a house and settling down whereas you (I presume) will be moving back home once done so I guess it is easier and less upheaval to stay put and earn as you learn ha.

Decisions!

I completely understand :smile:

Hope you don't mind me asking,what qualifications did you apply with?

So many people who applied were dental nurses and some had degrees - No wonder there's so much competition
GCSE's plus an access in Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

Yeh it's a tough one to get onto.

Hopefully next time hey :smile:
Hey what questions came up??

Quick Reply

Latest