The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

I dropped out of a course and am transferring to a new course in September AMA

I left university at the end of march after working from the age of 13 to get into my dream course. I'm starting a new course in September. Ask me any questions you have! :smile:
What are your plans in the mean time?

I was in your position last year and getting myself a job actually caused me to not be able to return last September. I'm now looking at returning THIS September now the job has ended.

On that note, are you nervous about going back? After all this time away, I'm terrified I won't be able to re-adjust. :biggrin:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
I've got a really good waitressing job, which I love doing. It's given me a new perspective and given me the motivation to get out of bed everyday. The contract ends when I go back to uni which is fab.

I'm not nervous at all about going back. I'm a little anxious I'll be two years older than all the freshers, but I have my fiance starting the same course with me. We will also be living together, so I've got an emotional rock.

I do get a little sinking feeling every time I go through the entrance to the uni, but I'm going to put this year behind me and start again. I'm just pleased I've pulled myself out of the depressive state I was in.

What course are you starting? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by behindblueglass
I've got a really good waitressing job, which I love doing. It's given me a new perspective and given me the motivation to get out of bed everyday. The contract ends when I go back to uni which is fab.

I'm not nervous at all about going back. I'm a little anxious I'll be two years older than all the freshers, but I have my fiance starting the same course with me. We will also be living together, so I've got an emotional rock.

I do get a little sinking feeling every time I go through the entrance to the uni, but I'm going to put this year behind me and start again. I'm just pleased I've pulled myself out of the depressive state I was in.

What course are you starting? :smile:

Ah that sounds nice and stable :smile:

Literature and Creative Writing. Did a year of Journalism before realising there's more I want to write. Besides, graduates of my Lit+CW course have often gone on to become Journalists anyway ^^ If I ever need an NCTJ I'll take it up separately :smile:
What was your chosen course and why did you leave?

Also what course are you applying for this September?
Original post by Skyy9432
Ah that sounds nice and stable :smile:

Literature and Creative Writing. Did a year of Journalism before realising there's more I want to write. Besides, graduates of my Lit+CW course have often gone on to become Journalists anyway ^^ If I ever need an NCTJ I'll take it up separately :smile:

Well I really hope everything works out for you! :biggrin:
Original post by Kash24411
What was your chosen course and why did you leave?

Also what course are you applying for this September?

I was on environmental earth science, it wasn't what I expected and I found myself lacking the skills and knowledge needed to do as well as I wanted. I wasn't content with getting 40% in everything. I started to get quite down, I'm not sure I would jump to the conclusion and say I was depressed. But I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed, and I hardly left my flat if I could help it.

I'm now enrolled on accounting and finance, it's a complete turn around for me. My A levels are completely irrelevant, but it's something I think I will be good at and I feel I will connect better with the people on this course.

:smile:
I left university at the end of march after working from the age of 13 to get into my dream course. I'm starting a new course in September. Ask me any questions you have! :smile:

so you were at university x then transferred to university y, was that done via ucas or by some other means?
I was on environmental earth science, it wasn't what I expected and I found myself lacking the skills and knowledge needed to do as well as I wanted. I wasn't content with getting 40% in everything. I started to get quite down, I'm not sure I would jump to the conclusion and say I was depressed. But I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed, and I hardly left my flat if I could help it.

I'm now enrolled on accounting and finance, it's a complete turn around for me. My A levels are completely irrelevant, but it's something I think I will be good at and I feel I will connect better with the people on this course.

:smile:

That's really sad to hear, nothing worse than studying something you simply don't like.

Great degree choice, im sure you will love studying Accounting and finance :smile:

I wish you the best for your future!
Original post by Kash24411
That's really sad to hear, nothing worse than studying something you simply don't like.

Great degree choice, im sure you will love studying Accounting and finance :smile:

I wish you the best for your future!

It's all okay! Life sometimes chucks you cucumbers and tells you they are lemons. You either complain, you can't make lemonade. Or you say F**k it and make a lush salad.

I just want a degree that is straight forward, not too many people with opinions, no tree hugging hippies and fantastic job prospects! ...And no chemistry.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Ilovemaths96
so you were at university x then transferred to university y, was that done via ucas or by some other means?

I have to stay at the same uni, the transfer was dealt with internally. No Ucas. I have already signed the tenancy agreement and paid £600 for a house in August here. If I decline the house now I have to either find new tenants for the house or forfeit my £600. I also love living near my family and love Norfolk as a whole. I'm hoping living in my own house with just my fiancé and starting a new course, will change my tainted view of the university. :smile:
I have to stay at the same uni, the transfer was dealt with internally. No Ucas. I have already signed the tenancy agreement and paid £600 for a house in August here. If I decline the house now I have to either find new tenants for the house or forfeit my £600. I also love living near my family and love Norfolk as a whole. I'm hoping living in my own house with just my fiancé and starting a new course, will change my tainted view of the university. :smile:

ahh that makes sense, all the best for the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending