The Student Room Group

How can I get an A* in A2 chem? Good resources?

Can anyone recommend any good resources or send me any to get an A* in F325 and F324?
I really need as high as possible. Currently, on F325 Im achieving 65/100 on all papers. I always run out of time and the questions seem so confusing with way too much unknown application. Anyone please help, I am really stressed for these exams and any help would be appreciated.
How do you all do it? Anyone getting A's. I am not the brightest I mean I can't always figure things out with application and would definitely appreciate some guidance- should I look at textbooks for further chemistry courses etc? Idk what to do, I get easy ionic equations wrong due to the application nature towards the end of the paper.

ALSO, I noticed there are only 7 F325 papers on the OCR website ? Im sure two are missing? Can anyone send them to me??

Please just tell me what to do to get them A* questions right :frown: I cant do it myself and need to LEARN the content or practise?? help!

-I meant I know all the content, it's the application I am not so good at? Anyone know any resources which provide only A* questions based on application?
(edited 9 years ago)
www.chemnotes.org.uk/ocr.htm
chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/
Reply 2
Original post by keromedic
www.chemnotes.org.uk/ocr.htm
chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/

thank you! I however do know all the content. I am still finding it difficult to gain full marks on the application questions/ opinion based hsw's Qs which are different from the content :frown:
Original post by Science100
thank you! I however do know all the content. I am still finding it difficult to gain full marks on the application questions/ opinion based hsw's Qs which are different from the content :frown:

Any particular topics of Qs?
Reply 4
Original post by keromedic
Any particular topics of Qs?

At the end of the paper there are always difficult transition metal Q's.
Some include:

-drawing unkown complex ions (I find that the info they give u in the question is brand new and I just don't understand it lol)
-Titrations questions but not the simple ones, instead when you have several ionic equations, need to work them out for yourself with a given practical method. Then second part of Q. says calculate volume/ etc based on titrations. I get the basic equations wrong then obv I will get the longer marks wrong with the exception of ECF.
-Difficult buffer questions- where you calculate ratios of the solutions? magic tang past paper Q.
-and finallllyyyyyyyy, its mainly transition metal questions. Theyre very application based!
I know all the obvious mark scheme points but I always miss out on the A/A* by around 10 marks ://///
When they give you long passages and box questions etc.
Reply 5
With OCR chemistry I would say practice will help you with the majority of your problems. Many of the questions including the more applied ones have common themes. Look at the example answers and really try to understand what's going on, so that applying the knowledge to more difficult problems is easier.

Otherwise, If you want to take your understanding further, I would recommend Keeler and Wothers' book: "Why chemical reactions happen?" which is at a level somewhere between A-level and 1st Year undergraduate. It certainly helped me understand the more mechanistic parts of F324. (Although, right before exams might not be a good time to start reading it)

Besides that, try not to stress out too much. I find it incredibly difficult to revise and take in information when stressed. I find it always helps to picture a time in the future after exams where you are completely care-free and unstressed, and that time will tick by to that point whatever you do, so you might as well give it your best shot. You can't be mad if you gave it your best :smile:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Amidogen
With OCR chemistry I would say practice will help you with the majority of your problems. Many of the questions including the more applied ones have common themes. Look at the example answers and really try to understand what's going on, so that applying the knowledge to more difficult problems is easier.

Otherwise, If you want to take your understanding further, I would recommend Keeler and Wothers' book: "Why chemical reactions happen?" which is at a level somewhere between A-level and 1st Year undergraduate. It certainly helped me understand the more mechanistic parts of F324. (Although, right before exams might not be a good time to start reading it)

Besides that, try not to stress out too much. I find it incredibly difficult to revise and take in information when stressed. I find it always helps to picture a time in the future after exams where you are completely care-free and unstressed, and that time will tick by to that point whatever you do, so you might as well give it your best shot. You can't be mad if you gave it your best :smile:

Good luck!

thanks, and yeah that really made me feel less stressed! :smile: So do you just recommend past papers? I feel like I am not doing enough work, so I am pretty confused now. Even though I spent these two works revising all the content we have covered (in class so far), and completed half the exam papers for each exam.
But I will definitely just stick to the exam papers for now. A lot of people I know are using text books, I used one for calculations but it doesn't really help. Think application will only improve with real exam papers tbh, thanks a lot!!! :smile: and my F325 is in 8 weeks, do you think it's too late to start "new revision methods" (my first exam overall is in 5 weeks! D:smile:
Reply 7
Firstly, I'd say go through the content slowly from the textbook and use that as your primary information source. (As that's the one from OCR, and they set the exams). I would only go to another information source if you are stuck and need a different explanation on something or your are interested in a particular topic and want to know more.

I found it helpful to make a table where I could put all my past paper marks from each paper, just as an organisational thing. Attempt most of the past papers timed, and if time runs out carry on with a different coloured pen so you know where you got up to (Don't rush them though, try and give thorough answers as it will stick in your brain better than a superficial answer). Mark it and really try to understand the answers and then read up on that area before attempting another paper.

A warning though, you can actually go too far with extra reading though because *gasp* not all of what is A-level chemistry is completely 100% true, and that can be detrimental in an exam as they may want a simple answer and you may get hung up on answering it 100% correctly.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
The 'missing' papers are a result of how the exams were rolled-out.

There was only F321 for the Jan of the first year. That June there was F321 and F322. The following Jan they had F321, F322 and F324. That June they had all four.

Quick Reply

Latest