The Student Room Group

Another Mechanics Question !!

Hi I have done the first 2 parts but in the last part i can't seem to workout the time taken for the motorcycle journey??
Original post by sykik
Hi I have done the first 2 parts but in the last part i can't seem to workout the time taken for the motorcycle journey??

You just have to add up the times for all of the previous operations i.e. car coming to halt in 8 s, man walking back to petrol station, man getting petrol etc
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
You just have to add up the times for all of the previous operations i.e. car coming to halt in 8 s, man walking back to petrol station, man getting petrol etc

Yh i know that but for that you need to know what's the time taken for motorcycle journey and i don't know how to work that out...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sykik
Yh i know that but for that you need to know what's the time taken for motorcycle journey and i don't know how to work that out...

The final section forms a (possibly asymmetrical) triangle on the (t,v) graph.

1. How high is this triangle?
2. How long is its base?
3. What does the area under the triangle represent? (What, in general, does the area under a (t,v) graph tell you?).
Reply 4
Original post by atsruser
The final section forms a (possibly asymmetrical) triangle on the (t,v) graph.

1. How high is this triangle?
2. How long is its base?
3. What does the area under the triangle represent? (What, in general, does the area under a (t,v) graph tell you?).

We don't know what the base is....
Original post by sykik
We don't know what the base is....

Indeed. We *want* to know what the base is ...
Reply 6
lol that's why i am asking... Base = time taken for the motorcycle journey and how do you work that out? I don't think we know the displacement for that journey so how else can we work it out
Original post by sykik
lol that's why i am asking... Base = time taken for the motorcycle journey and how do you work that out? I don't think we know the displacement for that journey so how else can we work it out

You do know the area under the triangle is 420 because that's the distance from the car to the petrol station which is done on the motorcycle, and you know the height is 20.

20 x base = 840
Base = 840/20

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest