The Student Room Group

Are there 17 year olds in university?

I turned 17 a couple of months ago. I will still be seventeen going into the september school year. (Will be going to university). The reason why I will be younger is because I skipped a year. I won't be 18 till next year march.

This has been bothering me quite a bit because I know I'm going to miss out on all the fun things during freshers week. I'm so sad.

Were any of you 17 year olds when you started? Did it suck a lot?
Original post by vanessanoelle
I turned 17 a couple of months ago. I will still be seventeen going into the september school year. (Will be going to university). The reason why I will be younger is because I skipped a year. I won't be 18 till next year march.

This has been bothering me quite a bit because I know I'm going to miss out on all the fun things during freshers week. I'm so sad.

Were any of you 17 year olds when you started? Did it suck a lot?

Yes, Scottish people.
I assume you wont be able to rent accommodation and/or get a tuition free loan, so im curious to see if this is actually a thing
Lots of internationals are 17
Reply 4
Yeah. A few of my mates were 17.
There were loads of 17 year olds when I first started Uni last September (although the large majority of them are now 18). It's very common here in Scotland.

Don't worry about missing Freshers Week events. Sure there will be alcohol and drinking involved in some of them but for the majority of events there won't be (worst case scenario is that you'll have to drink Coke whilst everyone else is drinking Jagermeister :wink:). Plenty of people I know who were 17 had an amazing time during Freshers! :smile:
Thanks for all the answers so far but I'm more interested in hearing from people that live/go to uni in London

Quick Reply

Latest