The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Student life at Exeter?

I've put Exeter down as my firm choice, to study Anthropology and TESOL, but I haven't actually been to down there to visit. So I was just wondering what it's like as a student there. in terms of night life, societies, things to do and you know all those important kind of things...

I'm from Manchester, so those of you who know Manchester, how does it differ?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by adalia95
I've put Exeter down as my firm choice, to study Anthropology and TESOL, but I haven't actually been to down there to visit. So I was just wondering what it's like as a student there. in terms of night life, societies, things to do and you know all those important kind of things...

I'm from Manchester, so those of you who know Manchester, how does it differ?

Thanks!

The campus is great and modern, looks especially good Spring-Autumn. There are plenty of societies, which you will definitely see come Freshers Week. I'd even say it's an overwhelming amount and you probably won't get to try out every single one within the space of a week, but I would say there's something for everyone (if you have any specific questions I can answer in more detail).

I've never been to Manchester, but Exeter would be smaller, definitely. The night life is not too bad but I wouldn't say that there's a huge amount of choice. Besides the university nightclub, there are mainly three clubs in the city that students go to, as well as a couple of good bars here and there. It's not what I would call spectacular, but it's decent enough imo.

Hope this helped :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thank you! Yeah I think that's one of the things that attracted me to Exeter...cause it's so pretty and it's a lot smaller than Manchester. Just had a look at the list of societies and they sound really good! I think the pole dancing one sounds like the best by far haha, we'll have to see though...

Specific questions: hmm more about accommodation really. Deffo going for halls, but I don't know whether to go for mixed or girls only? Or to tick the quiet person's box bit or not on the application? Or what interests to pick? So indecisive it's ridiculous! I'm not a loud person but I like to play music from my speakers/can be loudish when drunk/play my guitar kinda loudly... I feel like if I get pick clubbing as an interest I'll get stuck with all the md-taking ravers. If I pick outdoors as an interest I'll get stuck with boring hikers? Probs just over thinking this but yeah what do you think?

Again cheers! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by adalia95

Specific questions: hmm more about accommodation really. Deffo going for halls, but I don't know whether to go for mixed or girls only? Or to tick the quiet person's box bit or not on the application? Or what interests to pick? So indecisive it's ridiculous! I'm not a loud person but I like to play music from my speakers/can be loudish when drunk/play my guitar kinda loudly... I feel like if I get pick clubbing as an interest I'll get stuck with all the md-taking ravers. If I pick outdoors as an interest I'll get stuck with boring hikers? Probs just over thinking this but yeah what do you think?

Again cheers! :biggrin:

I'm living in mixed accommodation at the moment (Birks Grange Village) in a studio room. If I am honest I wouldn't recommend going for a studio room because the whole block is like that so you rarely get to see people as there is no common area. Whereas if you pick a self-catered room (one that has a common kitchen on each floor) or catered (breakfast and dinner in the dining hall) then you'd be likely to see much more people. It was my fault for not researching accommodation more thoroughly really :P

I don't really remember what I put in my accommodation tick-list thing if I am honest. I did opt for mixed-house though, and most accommodation blocks are like that, so I would probably suggest that. I think I put down music and sport as well for mine. I don't think that the accommodation arrangements would be that specific haha! The major factors are things like mixed/single sex and quiet/not quiet accommodation. As I said, most blocks are mixed and not quiet as far as I know.

I would probably recommend self-catered Lafrowda/Birks as the main choices, but it's up to you really if you want to read up more about it.

If anything else comes to mind I'll let you know!
I'm doing History, English Lit, Psychology and Film Studies. I just now found out that Psychology is considered a soft subject and tbh I'm really panicking, because I want to drop English lit at the end of AS, which would mean that 2 out of my 3 subjects are soft. Do you think with that combination I could be accepted for History at Exeter, Edinburgh, Warwick, York or Nottingham? (because those are the unis I'm looking at)
Also, maybe I should mention that I'm from Germany and I just moved to England and joined an English school at the beginning of Year 11, so I hope the unis are more generous because I'm doing this all in a second language. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending