The Student Room Group

AQA Politics GOV4B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by paigerosee
I'm doing ethnicity and gender and education. I feel okay for the ethnicity/gender part because there is a few resources online but I'm so stuck with the education bit!!!! Dreading it :frown:

Look at the education policy of the big 3, and just go over the Butler Act-tripartite system etc. circular 10/65, education act of 1988, Blair's 'every child matters' and then about academies with the Conservatives.
Reply 21
Original post by jamesgar11
Hoping that Equality, ethnicity section will be a 30m on Multiculturalism, hasn't come up in a few years. For the economy, something to do with parties accepting neoliberalism, or something about a mixed economy, or even something about elections and economy. How likely do you all think it is that a similar question to a past paper coming up again is?

I think quite likely. They tend to be similar questions, me and my mate came up with everything they've done, and what is likely for Economy and Education.

gUFpOIdL.jpg
Original post by Ali_rrr
Look at the education policy of the big 3, and just go over the Butler Act-tripartite system etc. circular 10/65, education act of 1988, Blair's 'every child matters' and then about academies with the Conservatives.

Thank you!!! A question on comprehensive systems would be ideal!
Reply 23
Thank you!!! A question on comprehensive systems would be ideal!

I'd love that too, but I think it'll either be on Pragmatism vs Ideology or Intrinsic/Instrumental value of education.
Original post by Ali_rrr
I think quite likely. They tend to be similar questions, me and my mate came up with everything they've done, and what is likely for Economy and Education.

gUFpOIdL.jpg

That is awesome, thanks for that! :smile: Just doing some of those questions now in note form, see what I can draw from memory. Something on little influence or power would be quite good I think. You could talk about stuff like power is limited in the sense that govts only really sell things off (Royal Mail, Right to Buy, Coal ect) in order to have a hands off approach. Also things like Monetarist policy of controlling interest being done via the Bank of England. In response to these you could talk about Labour and the Bank Bailouts/nationalising Northern Rock or subsidies to Virgin rail and business/min wage. Actually, I would love that question haha!
Original post by Ali_rrr
I'd love that too, but I think it'll either be on Pragmatism vs Ideology or Intrinsic/Instrumental value of education.

Omg what does any of that mean!!!
Reply 26
Any tips for last minute revision!?
Reply 27
That is awesome, thanks for that! :smile: Just doing some of those questions now in note form, see what I can draw from memory. Something on little influence or power would be quite good I think. You could talk about stuff like power is limited in the sense that govts only really sell things off (Royal Mail, Right to Buy, Coal ect) in order to have a hands off approach. Also things like Monetarist policy of controlling interest being done via the Bank of England. In response to these you could talk about Labour and the Bank Bailouts/nationalising Northern Rock or subsidies to Virgin rail and business/min wage. Actually, I would love that question haha!

That question would be perfect! Looking at the examiner report, if it states nationalisation make sure you talk about nationalisation, do not base it round privatisation. You'll be dropping marks left right and centre.

This is to everyone, make sure sure you stick to the question, don't be tempted to go off topic.
Reply 28
Who's got any idea of good examples to use for the Economics section, in particular Thatcher? I've got quite a few from the manifestos and the budget and other things but feel I need more.
Reply 29
Omg what does any of that mean!!!

Intrinsic is value to the person, and what skills. Instrumental is the value to society (favoured by Conservatives)

Pragmatism is changing beliefs as time progresses, so not a fixed ideology (as conservatism claims to be)
Reply 30
Original post by Ali_rrr

gUFpOIdL.jpg

Really nice of you to put this up. Thank you!
Reply 31
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Who's got any idea of good examples to use for the Economics section, in particular Thatcher? I've got quite a few from the manifestos and the budget and other things but feel I need more.

Go over policies of the big 3 over the last few years. Look specifically how Blair+Brown spent as well as Thatcher. Thatcher is mainly about privatisation, whilst I would also talk about the right to buy scheme and especially the liberalisation of the market.

This may also help: http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/glossary/thatcher-economic-policies/
Any tips for last minute revision!?

I'm going through the specification and writing out what I know for each heading then adding to it with my notes to see what I don't know.... That and crying!!!
Original post by Ali_rrr
Intrinsic is value to the person, and what skills. Instrumental is the value to society (favoured by Conservatives)

Pragmatism is changing beliefs as time progresses, so not a fixed ideology (as conservatism claims to be)

Thank you so much! Life saver
Original post by Ali_rrr
That question would be perfect! Looking at the examiner report, if it states nationalisation make sure you talk about nationalisation, do not base it round privatisation. You'll be dropping marks left right and centre.

This is to everyone, make sure sure you stick to the question, don't be tempted to go off topic.

Yeah, I agree. That is the beauty of something like the "in practice the government exercises little or no control over the economy" question, it isn't overly specific about nationalisation or privatisation or about what you have to talk about, you can really define you own parameters.
Reply 35
Yeah, I agree. That is the beauty of something like the "in practice the government exercises little or no control over the economy" question, it isn't overly specific about nationalisation or privatisation or about what you have to talk about, you can really define you own parameters.

That'd be nice. I'm praying for something about nationalisation/globalisation. For me, the fact you only need 22/23 marks per section for a C is very nice.
Original post by Ali_rrr
That'd be nice. I'm praying for something about nationalisation/globalisation. For me, the fact you only need 22/23 marks per section for a C is very nice.

Ooh, I'm worried about globalisation coming up, I have limited knowledge on that to be honest. I think I may be able to handle a 10 marker, but a 30 marker would be difficult. It came up last year I think, in the form of "open economy", so it may be a 10 marker this year instead. Wow, that is quite good, 23 marks out of 40 per section is very nice! Wonder what it is for an A/B?
Reply 37
Ooh, I'm worried about globalisation coming up, I have limited knowledge on that to be honest. I think I may be able to handle a 10 marker, but a 30 marker would be difficult. It came up last year I think, in the form of "open economy", so it may be a 10 marker this year instead. Wow, that is quite good, 23 marks out of 40 per section is very nice! Wonder what it is for an A/B?

It was 57 for an A last year and 54 the year before. Whilst it was 51 and 48 the year before for a B. And it was only 42 for a C! Hopefully it goes well, I need EEE to get into uni, so I'm pretty chilled about this exam, although it's my only subject I reckon I'll get close to an A in.
Reply 38

Based on last years grade boundaries it was 51 for a B, and 57 for an A :smile:
Based on last years grade boundaries it was 51 for a B, and 57 for an A :smile:

That isn't too bad to be fair, just really hope a good question comes up. Knowing my luck it will be a question on the one thing I don't know much about! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending