The Student Room Group

For anyone taking the medicine league tables seriously...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okorange
Is this a case of putting the medical school you got into first? Haha.

soz man, didnt get into oxbridge...

this is also evidence that my ranking is not bias :smile:
Original post by Gaiaphage
Instead of league tables it's pretty much

Oxbridge
Non-PBL
PBL

Unless you want to know what a cannula is, how it's used, and when to use it (ie. when you want to know how to save a life). Then it goes:

PBL
Non-PBL
Oxbridge
Original post by solarplexus
soz man, didnt get into oxbridge...

this is also evidence that my ranking is not bias :smile:

I meant 2nd haha
Original post by Democracy
Isn't the whole point of a ranking that it has to, you know, have some significance in terms of jobs, or interviews, or at least give you some bragging rights amongst your peers? None of which actually happen amongst medics.

Still, if you like, try casually and subtly bragging to your future non-London peers that you go to a London school and see how impressive it sounds. (Spoiler: it will make you look about as cool as McLovin).

You're not a dick but you sound a bit clueless - we are not investment bankers or STEM obsessives. Medical schools are above the ranking circlejerk.

I'll have you know that not just IBs and STEM grads go in for a rankings soggy biscuit session.

In fact most IBs don't go in for denying a senior position to those without a BA in a random non-arts subject, whilst it's still s big deal for management consultants and lawyers. Some bankers don't even look at school, amateurs.
Original post by AdamskiUK
Unless you want to know what a cannula is, how it's used, and when to use it (ie. when you want to know how to save a life). Then it goes:

PBL
Non-PBL
Oxbridge

Do they not teach you that at Oxbridge then? :lol:
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Do they not teach you that at Oxbridge then? :lol:

Speaking to my 1st year Cantab mate, it doesn't seem that way :wink: It's an old joke but if you go and ask the London consultants (which I've done myself to confirm), they all say the Northern schools make better F1s/F2s - Manc/Liverpool/Leeds etc. because those schools just emphasise the importance of care delivery. Of course, sit down a top Oxbridge/Imp/UCL graduate and I'm sure they'd school a top Manc/Leeds/Liverpool graduate in physiology, but I'd be really interested to try that little experiment out.

My mate already knows more pathways than Guyton, though :eek:
the rankings only matter to the extent that you'd rather go oxbridge/ucl/imperial over liverpool but even then their overall scores on ranking tables are so tight. In the middle it's all a blur tbh.

Really you should be looking at how each course is taught, like PBL or non-PBL, integrated or traditional. And perhaps also whether they offer intercalation.

Despite the fact oxbridge is notorious for their relative lack of clinical experience until late in the game I was dying to go to Cambridge for the university itself (so probs being hypocritical there) and the fact there is a huge emphasis on research in the Medicine course there.
Original post by Etomidate
Tbh if you're not attending Bath medical school you may as well not bother.

Lmao @ anyone not at Bath.

Original post by aprocrastinator
the rankings only matter to the extent that you'd rather go oxbridge/ucl/imperial over liverpool but even then their overall scores on ranking tables are so tight. In the middle it's all a blur tbh.

Really you should be looking at how each course is taught, like PBL or non-PBL, integrated or traditional. And perhaps also whether they offer intercalation.

Despite the fact oxbridge is notorious for their relative lack of clinical experience until late in the game I was dying to go to Cambridge for the university itself (so probs being hypocritical there) and the fact there is a huge emphasis on research in the Medicine course there.

Is there anywhere which doesn't offer intercalation? Didn't know that was a thing.

Also, +1 to Cantabs for research. If you guys stop doing all the boring jobs/taking AF posts, how the hell do the hospital doctors/GPs do their jobs?
Is there anywhere which doesn't offer intercalation? Didn't know that was a thing.

Also, +1 to Cantabs for research. If you guys stop doing all the boring jobs/taking AF posts, how the hell do the hospital doctors/GPs do their jobs?

You're welcome :smile:

SGUL only allows a certain percentage of people each year to do iBScs. It's based on your ranking mainly
Original post by tania<3
SGUL only allows a certain percentage of people each year to do iBScs. It's based on your ranking mainly

That's crap - even if you want to do your intercalation elsewhere? I'm in Manc and they actively encourage iBScs after 2nd-4th year but offer iMScs/MRes after 3rd or 4th year. They don't let you go elsewhere unless it's something they don't offer and the list is pretty extensive.

I really wanna spend a year in London so I know whether I want to F1 there :colone:
Speaking to my 1st year Cantab mate, it doesn't seem that way :wink: It's an old joke but if you go and ask the London consultants (which I've done myself to confirm), they all say the Northern schools make better F1s/F2s - Manc/Liverpool/Leeds etc. because those schools just emphasise the importance of care delivery. Of course, sit down a top Oxbridge/Imp/UCL graduate and I'm sure they'd school a top Manc/Leeds/Liverpool graduate in physiology, but I'd be really interested to try that little experiment out.

My mate already knows more pathways than Guyton, though :eek:

Well of course they don't - that's not what they learn in 1st year. Hardly representative of the end product though.
That's crap - even if you want to do your intercalation elsewhere? I'm in Manc and they actively encourage iBScs after 2nd-4th year but offer iMScs/MRes after 3rd or 4th year. They don't let you go elsewhere unless it's something they don't offer and the list is pretty extensive.

I really wanna spend a year in London so I know whether I want to F1 there :colone:

I guess it's something to do with how many people will have to join the year below etc. Not everyone wants to intercalate - but if you don't get the chance after 2nd year you can always try 3rd year.
I hate to be a dick but its ranked liked this:

1. Oxbridge
2. United Hospitals MedGroup
3. All others
4. Irish Medical Schools
5. European Medical Schools

Erm medicine at trinity college dublin is extremely highly regarded so I don't understand how you can say irish medical schools aren't as good...

I think you need to start keeping some of your opinions to yourself solarplexus.
(edited 8 years ago)
hey guys where does the line to join the medical school circlejerk start?
Original post by radhikagulati
Erm medicine at trinity college dublin is extremely highly regarded so I don't understand how you can say irish medical schools aren't as good...

Thats your opinion.

Maybe you should also keep it to yourself?

Most people I know got into Irish medical schools only because they couldn't get into UK ones.

I was originally going to apply to TCD and RCSI as mere backups, but I thought its overseas at the end of the day so I didn't bother. Lucky enough I didn't have to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not surprised solarplexus showed her face in here

Anyways it doesn't matter where you go. You have consultants and world leading physicians who didn't study at oxbridge or london, heck some of them studied abroad.

**** prestige.
Thats your opinion.

Maybe you should also keep it to yourself?

Most people I know got into Irish medical schools only because they couldn't get into UK ones.

I was originally going to apply to TCD and RCSI as mere backups, but I thought its overseas at the end of the day so I didn't bother. Lucky enough I didn't have to.

As opposed to your opinion that you so kindly offered. Take your own advice please.
Original post by ForestCat
As opposed to your opinion that you so kindly offered. Take your own advice please.

My advice was to 'maybe keep it to yourself'.

So maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't.

But i'm not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending