The Student Room Group

AQA English Language & Literature ELLA1 Exam Friday 15th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraMayden1
Hope you get a good grade :smile:

Original post by HistoryStudent1
I can't remember exactly, but I said something along the lines of how the sun represented Amir's chances of redemption and the cracks represented his wrongdoings (i.e. reluctance during the rape) and how this gave reason to his mixed reaction of sadness and anger. I'm sure I must have mentioned how it represented something else as I normally go 'this could mean this, or it could mean this' I just can't remember what I put :frown:

Oh that's good. I said something kind of similar. I said something like the light of the sun symbolises hope, but Amir is losing the light to darkness which shows despair. So yeah like you said no hope for redemption.
Original post by ehayward
Yeah I panicked at first but I agree now having done it:smile:My three main points were something about how Stanley sees Blanche as scheming and deceptive, how Williams presents Stanley as attempting to intimidate Blanche through the use of stage directions, and that Stanley sees Blanche as unclean and impure due to his discoveries of her past - or something along those lines! Yours?

yep the points I included in my answer are similar to yours and someone else's on this thread: I wrote about how Stanley tries to paint Stella in a bad light all the time (through lexis choice, etc); how he is eager to expose Blanche to Stella (he uses exclamatives, etc); how he wants to get rid of Blanche in Scene 7 when he says "she's leaving! period" & how he views her in a negative light because of her past and is always thinking she's scheming/up to something dodgy.
Anyone done Purple Hibiscus for the creative task?
Reply 44
Hi :smile:
I took the exam this morning. I did Property analysis and production task on A Streetcar Named Desire. I found the question about Manon's husband pretty easy and the production task was very enjoyable to write. I love writing playscripts!
What did everyone else do? How do you feel about the exam?
Reply 45
Original post by sarahkelly1996
How did people find the Property analytical question and the production question for The kite Runner??

Hi, I found the Property analytical pretty easy. I was worried about Mr Roget or Aunt Lelia (less significant characters) coming up but Mr Gaudet is a good one :smile: How did you find it?
Reply 46
Hey.

I did the kite runner production, but don't think it went great as I didn't finish and get onto all that I wanted to mention. Do you think you could read what I did do and mark it? (Tried to remember it as much as I Could)

I took a cigarette to my mouth as I allowed smoke to engulf the room as I put down the phone. The silence didn't last long before the echoing from the door

"Come in"

It was Amir. The son who had proved me wrong. Who has restored my namoos. Pride. He was standing in the doorway with no smile hinted on his face, it was as if I was staring at a blank piece of paper

Amir moved towards the chair as words flew out of his open mouth. Words I had never contemplated hearing before. Hassan. His name kept running though my mind. Amir was talking but I could not under stand the mumble over my own racing thought. Hassan. Hassan. My son.

"It's true baba" Amir stated

I caught a glimpse of Ali and Hassan in the garden. Ali had been my childhood friend. My childhood brother. So loyal and kind. Why would Hassan do this?

This made my skin flare, heat rising from my skin. I wasn't sure if I was angry or upset.

I stepped outside and the cool air refreshed my skin, but not my mind.

"Did you take Amirs watch and money Hassan?

The silence was deafening. I was praying to Allah that I would be wrong. That Hassan would not do this. I hope Allah will make me moftator. Proud. I didn't hear what Hassan had said before I knew. My stomach became a waterfall and-
(edited 8 years ago)
I did Streetcar analytical question and Kite Runner Production. I think it went quite bad for me, but I was really ill on the day, and that was a resit exam too haha. I liked the questions,but thinking about it, my analysis was limited and underdeveloped, and for kite runner, I did the same as I did last year and wrote it less narrative like :frown::frown: so annoyed now, I hope it wasn't too bad otherwise that's £21 gone. how did everyone else find it?
I admit I'm a retaker cause I got an A and a B last year and ended up 4 marks short of an A, oh typical :s-smilie:

I did "Property" production task and analysis of "Streetcar", as recommended. And also in this order, as my English teacher suggested it to me, and bless him for that :smile: Despite somewhat struggling in the mocks (I ran out of practice cause I've been up to different stuff this year naturally), it went really well I dare to think.
For the few days prior the exam I feared they're gonna make us write in the voice of Dr Landry or someone minor like that; last year there was a joke we'd have to imagine ourselves as Rose despite her having like 2-3 sentences in the entire book xD But turns out it was Manon fortunately so I did the classic bitchy interpretation of her and even threatened Palmers with a lawsuit :P
And in case of "SND" I was concerned that I'd have to search out for various bits in the whole play in order to find key sections to analyse and so waste time and nerves this way, but again got lucky and the question narrowed it down to Scene 7 and I wrote over 3 pages in result; though I admit I didn't finish the last sentence (cause I just kept adding more and more), but I don't think it'll matter much with what I did write.

So no excuses now to get a nice safe A; currently moved on to be 100% focused on Bio resit that I also need to ace and since it's so different, it won't be as easy to also get an A, but there's nothing that can stop me (this cheesy phrase is just top of an iceberg of other dull stuff I've been telling myself to keep focused and disciplined. But I can't afford to break down like last year) :smile:
So what points did you make for your tasks as i did the same but no idea if ive done it right
Who's doing All My Sons for ELLA 2?
Reply 51
Original post by romaiseb
Who's doing All My Sons for ELLA 2?

Moi!
Hopefully we get a good question, how are you revising for it?
I think I'm just going to reread the book :smile:
Original post by Nath98
Moi!
Hopefully we get a good question, how are you revising for it?
I think I'm just going to reread the book :smile:

Yesss I hope so too, I'm thinking maybe idealism or something on one of the female characters & yeah I'm just gonna re-read the book and try and select key parts of the play which I can use for different themes that may come up (if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alisha161
I admit I'm a retaker cause I got an A and a B last year and ended up 4 marks short of an A, oh typical :s-smilie:

I did "Property" production task and analysis of "Streetcar", as recommended. And also in this order, as my English teacher suggested it to me, and bless him for that :smile: Despite somewhat struggling in the mocks (I ran out of practice cause I've been up to different stuff this year naturally), it went really well I dare to think.
For the few days prior the exam I feared they're gonna make us write in the voice of Dr Landry or someone minor like that; last year there was a joke we'd have to imagine ourselves as Rose despite her having like 2-3 sentences in the entire book xD But turns out it was Manon fortunately so I did the classic bitchy interpretation of her and even threatened Palmers with a lawsuit :P
And in case of "SND" I was concerned that I'd have to search out for various bits in the whole play in order to find key sections to analyse and so waste time and nerves this way, but again got lucky and the question narrowed it down to Scene 7 and I wrote over 3 pages in result; though I admit I didn't finish the last sentence (cause I just kept adding more and more), but I don't think it'll matter much with what I did write.

So no excuses now to get a nice safe A; currently moved on to be 100% focused on Bio resit that I also need to ace and since it's so different, it won't be as easy to also get an A, but there's nothing that can stop me (this cheesy phrase is just top of an iceberg of other dull stuff I've been telling myself to keep focused and disciplined. But I can't afford to break down like last year) :smile:

What things did you include as I'm not sure if I've done it right I did the same tasks as you and think my SCD task for Stan was too repetitive. Any tips for revising and doing well with ELLA2 I'm doing the lovely bones.
Please can someone help me on doing well and revising ella2!!! Both section a and b!! Although i am doing the lovely bones, i am still greatful of any help and tips on revising and writing the exam!!!
Original post by Beckyanders
Please can someone help me on doing well and revising ella2!!! Both section a and b!! Although i am doing the lovely bones, i am still greatful of any help and tips on revising and writing the exam!!!

I am also doing the Lovely Bones and in the June 2012 paper I got 73/75 so I wish we had that paper :frown:. I normally talk about reporting clauses/lack of reporting clauses in the first paragraph, adjacency pairings/lack of adjacency pairings in the second, sentence types i.e. interrogative, exclamative, declarative, or imperative in the third, and then finally about paralinguistic features and I haven't dropped a mark on the analysis in my last four or five essays. I think I do need to come up with an effective plan quite quickly for the transcription analysis though as I am not as strong on that part, my last three essays have been inconsistent - 35, 40, and 41 out of 45 which sounds good but it is another thing replicating it in the exam. Hope this helps :smile:
I am also doing the Lovely Bones and in the June 2012 paper I got 73/75 so I wish we had that paper :frown:. I normally talk about reporting clauses/lack of reporting clauses in the first paragraph, adjacency pairings/lack of adjacency pairings in the second, sentence types i.e. interrogative, exclamative, declarative, or imperative in the third, and then finally about paralinguistic features and I haven't dropped a mark on the analysis in my last four or five essays. I think I do need to come up with an effective plan quite quickly for the transcription analysis though as I am not as strong on that part, my last three essays have been inconsistent - 35, 40, and 41 out of 45 which sounds good but it is another thing replicating it in the exam. Hope this helps :smile:

Is this for the section A bit? Also how do you usually incorporate another scene? If I have a go at a comparison essay will you read and see what you think?
Is this for the section A bit? Also how do you usually incorporate another scene? If I have a go at a comparison essay will you read and see what you think?

Sure :smile: and I usually just compare my point (reporting clauses for example) with another moment when either both or one of the characters were present. For example, I could say how when talking to Ray, Susie used fewer reporting clauses as she was excited, but used less when talking to Mr Harvey in the moments before the rape. You would have to be a lot more analytical but you get the gist :smile: by the way my plan before was for the analysis not transcription.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sure :smile: and I usually just compare my point (reporting clauses for example) with another moment when either both or one of the characters were present. For example, I could say how when talking to Ray, Susie used fewer reporting clauses as she was excited, but used less when talking to Mr Harvey in the moments before the rape. You would have to be a lot more analytical but you get the gist :smile: by the way my plan before was for the analysis not transcription.

Right okay, how much do you need to refer to another chapter? also how can I revise productively from now until Tuesday
Right okay, how much do you need to refer to another chapter? also how can I revise productively from now until Tuesday

I would refer to another chapter once per paragraph, just fit it into the middle or at the end - it only needs about a sentence. And I am just doing past papers to get into the feeling of sitting the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending