marker will be on this year?????

Multi-Store Model!
Original post by aulhaq
Multi-Store Model!

Agreed, any more ideas?
What are your notes on the multi store model for 12 marks?? :s-smilie:
Original post by Leilaspencer
What are your notes on the multi store model for 12 marks?? :s-smilie:

For the 6 AO1 marks, I would draw the diagram then explain each component briefly.

For AO2 you could possibly say:

- There is evidence from case studies to support the model (HM shows LTM and STM are separate)
- There are clearly predictions on how memory works, so it's easier for psychologists to conduct research on it
- It's over simplified
- There is conflicting evidence, as other research shows rehearsal isn't the only way information enters the LTM.
- LTM and STM are not unitary stores, you can use KF as an example who had no problems with processing visual information but did with verbal in STM
- Other research also shows that STM can't come before LTM as the model suggests, as we need to understand things to store them into our STM (semantic information)

For AO2 it depends on how much in detail you describe each point, it's safe to do 4 points that are decently explained or 6 brief ones.
Reply 5
A01 - outline the model, ive been told you can draw it and if you label it correctly and accurately you can get full A01 marks! but im going to draw and explain it just to be safe.
I dont really understand the KF and HM studies ahh
Are you guys on the edexcel exam board?
Reply 8
anyone think daycare will come up?!:mad:
Original post by Leilaspencer
I dont really understand the KF and HM studies ahh

For HM his hippocampus was removed, due to him having severe epilepsy. As a result, he could no longer form new long term memories, but had no problems with short term memory. Therefore, it would suggest the two are separate.

KF had an accident and had problems with verbal information not visual in STM. This would suggest that STM is a unitary store, proving the study to be wrong.

^ Hope this helps.
yes! thank you !
Original post by nik1M
anyone think daycare will come up?!:mad:

I doubt it will be a 12 mark question, if it is an 8 mark question it will probably ask to explain research into aggression or peer relations. You should know the NICHD study and EPPE study for daycare and they might also ask the influence of research into daycare practices.
anyone have a 6 mark description for Levels of Processing?

I figure that describing semantic, structural and phonetic processing is not enough to gain full marks..
Reply 13
can someone explain about how daycare has influenced research of child practices?! I don't get it :frown:
Original post by nik1M
can someone explain about how daycare has influenced research of child practices?! I don't get it :frown:

This is usually a 4 marker. The influences they have had is that:
- more qualified nurses/carers (research shows that the better the quality of the care the less the negative effects of daycare)
- better carer to child ratios (increased quality of care)
- less staff turn-overs (infants become familiar with specific carers and can form secondary attachments with them)
Reply 15
Original post by iAstro
This is usually a 4 marker. The influences they have had is that:
- more qualified nurses/carers (research shows that the better the quality of the care the less the negative effects of daycare)
- better carer to child ratios (increased quality of care)
- less staff turn-overs (infants become familiar with specific carers and can form secondary attachments with them)

nooo that is characteristics of high quality daycare. im on about implications for child care practices e.g. hospitals, adoption etc.
The Multi-Store Model was developed by Atkinson and Shiffrin and is made up of three, separate, unitary stores: the sensory memory (SM), the short term memory (STM) and the long term memory (LTM). The MSM believes that information flows in a fixed, linear order. Information enters the SM through the 5 sense and the SM is very limited and if information is not attended to, then it will decay very rapidly. If attended to, information will be encoded acoustically into the STM and according to Peterson and Peterson, duration can last up to 20 seconds. According to Miller's theory, the capacity of the STM is 7+/-2 chunks of information. For information to stay in the STM, maintenance rehearsal must occur and for this information to be passed on to the LTM, it must be elaborately rehearsed. Information is process semantically in the LTM, according to Baddeley, and can remain there for potentially up to a life time. Information can be retrieved from the LTM, to the STM at any time, however it can also be forgotten due to decay or displacement.

So, this is the model outline for the Multi-Store Model of memory, I have just memorised it, try and learn it if you haven't already.

As for evaluation, talk about:
- The pre-frontal cortex lighting up during PET scans and fMRI scans when STM tasks took place.
- The hippocampus lighting up during PET scans and fMRI scans when LTM tasks took place.
- KF: had a motorcycle accident, affected his ability to recall verbal information, not visual - this contradicts the MSM, because KF suggests that the model should be unitary.
- You could then go on to say that case studies are not always reliable because they do not take into account individual differences and are therefore not generalisable, thus; lack population validity.

I'm bricking it for the exam, but let's just hope for the best - good luck to all!
Original post by nik1M
What does everyone think the PSYA1 12

Last years 12 marker was Accuracy of Eye Witness Testimony so I think something on attachment will come up. ~ Good luck everyone!
Original post by nik1M
What does everyone think the PSYA1 12

Last years 12 marker was Accuracy of Eye Witness Testimony so I think something on attachment will come up. ~ Good luck everyone!
Multi-store, got to start revising. Teacher said ill get a C. I got to prove to the son of a bitch i can get an A* :P

Quick Reply

Latest