The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
This thread is a continuation of: Last Person To Post Here Wins (Part 23)

Very straightforward and simple thread, the last person to post (before the thread is closed) wins! :woo: :party:

Congratulations to LostICTStudent for getting the winning (10,000th) post on the last thread! :happy2:

Spoiler

Enjoy! :smile:

PS: Stats for the last thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2262114

Victory SHALL NOT BE MINE
Reply 2
Original post by Roonaldotona
Victory SHALL NOT BE MINE

Only time will tell! :biggrin:

Now lets get going! :smile:
Haven't heard back yet - will check again tomorrow.

Also, an idea for future rounds of this game - how about we say the winning post is not the 10000th one but the post immediately before the "thread closed, new thread here" post is put up at the end?

For example, I put up "This thread is continues here: ...." so the post before that is the winner?

That was how we imagined it would end back when the first thread was made - either last post before it was locked, or last post before the thread died and was forgotten (a hollow victory is still a victory!). :yes: But that was before the mods started enforcing the 10,000 post limit, so as far as we knew it could have gone on forever. :giggle:

Personally, I liked the feeling of the final rush for 10,000th in the last part, it felt very tense and competitive in the last 100 or so posts (for me at least, maybe I tried too hard? :o:). I don't think you'd get the same sort of atmosphere with a vague 'some point after 10,000, mod queue depending' win. Though I can understand the frustration of those who missed it. :sadnod:

I'd suggest maybe double awards, for 10,000th as the 'official' end point of a thread, and for the literal last post (or second to last, if the last is just linking to a new thread)? Or are most people here of the mindset that there can be only one winner? :giggle:

Either way, I'll be taking both honours this time around. :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by AngryJellyfish
That was how we imagined it would end back when the first thread was made - either last post before it was locked, or last post before the thread died and was forgotten (a hollow victory is still a victory!). :yes: But that was before the mods started enforcing the 10,000 post limit, so as far as we knew it could have gone on forever. :giggle:

Quite a few of the threads in FG could go on forever; literally - however, we have to have a limit of 10k posts per thread to avoid crashing the entire site. :frown: Theoretically every thread could go to 18k but that hits a character limit, and the thread will slow down exponentially after 10k... :frown:

Personally, I liked the feeling of the final rush for 10,000th in the last part, it felt very tense and competitive in the last 100 or so posts (for me at least, maybe I tried too hard? :o:). I don't think you'd get the same sort of atmosphere with a vague 'some point after 10,000, mod queue depending' win. Though I can understand the frustration of those who missed it. :sadnod:

I'd suggest maybe double awards, for 10,000th as the 'official' end point of a thread, and for the literal last post (or second to last, if the last is just linking to a new thread)? Or are most people here of the mindset that there can be only one winner? :giggle:

Either way, I'll be taking both honours this time around. :yes:

I thought it would be better to go for last post in the thread, because that way it would continue the thread for as long as possible. Otherwise, activity on the thread would drop drastically after the 10,000th post, until the new thread is made. If the victory was at the last post (well the post before the link to the next thread) then the thread would be flowing for as long as possible.

This thread, I'll probably announce two winners; last post (as described in thread title) and 10,000th post. We'll see how things go then - but I believe that threads should go as long as possible. :smile:
Dis thread do...
Reply 6
new thread :danceboy::woo::woo::woo:
Yessss, might win this time :cool:
Quite a few of the threads in FG could go on forever; literally - however, we have to have a limit of 10k posts per thread to avoid crashing the entire site. :frown: Theoretically every thread could go to 18k but that hits a character limit, and the thread will slow down exponentially after 10k... :frown:

I thought it would be better to go for last post in the thread, because that way it would continue the thread for as long as possible. Otherwise, activity on the thread would drop drastically after the 10,000th post, until the new thread is made. If the victory was at the last post (well the post before the link to the next thread) then the thread would be flowing for as long as possible.

This thread, I'll probably announce two winners; last post (as described in thread title) and 10,000th post. We'll see how things go then - but I believe that threads should go as long as possible. :smile:

I know the reasons behind it now, but I think even the admins were unaware of the issue at the time - site speed was very slow for a while! Plus there weren't many 10,000 long threads back then anyway. Then all of a sudden they started locking threads we assumed would go on forever. :sadnod:

Two winners makes more sense to me. :yes: I agree that a thread should go on as long as possible, and I was among those who posted past 10,000 (though I was out most of yesterday so couldn't do so as much as I'd have liked). But I wouldn't want to lose the rush for 10,000th, nor would I want to risk keeping the rush going after 10,000 - we must have filled those last 100 in less than an hour. :giggle: A sprint for 10,000 and a more calm finale afterwards suits me fine, at least. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yay I made it on the 1st page :biggrin:
:smile:
I was the 10 post and shall be the 10000 post O_o
Original post by rachaelftw
Yessss, might win this time :cool:

Yeah, especially if we don't forget it's nearly up!
Hello
Reply 16
Woop Woop
Reply 17
i want to win!
Reply 19
i really cant be bothered starting this again. [scroll]:bl:[/scroll]