The Student Room Group

AQA French A2 2015 [Unit 3]

Scroll to see replies

I'm wondering what else to do for revision now, French has always been an awkward topic for me because I've always struggled to know how to revise for it as it's not as if you can predict the sorts of questions that will come up, and it's not like other exams where you just need to learn the information.

I've been doing about 20-30 minutes of listening to the French news to get my listening up, I went through all the translations again from the papers that I can access from AQA and wrote notes on things that I slip up on and grammar points that they test us on, and I have been just writing down my main ideas that I could use for the essay and different grammar structures I'm likely to want to use.

I'll probably do some proper listening questions and more reading, specifically the gap fill tasks as I seem to mess up on those.
Original post by Claros
I'm wondering what else to do for revision now, French has always been an awkward topic for me because I've always struggled to know how to revise for it as it's not as if you can predict the sorts of questions that will come up, and it's not like other exams where you just need to learn the information.

I've been doing about 20-30 minutes of listening to the French news to get my listening up, I went through all the translations again from the papers that I can access from AQA and wrote notes on things that I slip up on and grammar points that they test us on, and I have been just writing down my main ideas that I could use for the essay and different grammar structures I'm likely to want to use.

I'll probably do some proper listening questions and more reading, specifically the gap fill tasks as I seem to mess up on those.

Mate, I have the same problem, I love languages but it's not as easy to revise for as say maths, where it's always pretty similar . For Translation learn any technical vocab from the aqa textbook, maybe use memrise, words like fosisl fuels ect and do some past paer Q's on them. Essay's got a lot of marks so learn few key quotes examples & so on and once u know the content skim read examiners coments on good bad essays so you know what to look out for, bonne chance
Original post by Han24
what's everyone doing for the final weekend of revision?

I've just watched La Haine again, and made notes on some extra details I picjed up on. I'll be so glad after the exams when I never have to watch it again!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone, natives can you translate to frnech

(1) After the war, the economic growth meantthat there were too few workers in France for the jobs available.(2) African countries provide a largeproportion of the immigrants who come to live and work in France.(3) At first, the French workers were only too pleased to allow theimmigrants to take on the jobs nobody wanted.(4) In recent years, the nationalities of immigrants allowed into Francehave changed. There have been more people from Eastern Europe and Asia (5) Foreigners living in France are entitled to the same right as Frenchpeople, for instance children schooling, social benefits, the right to strike… (6) The number of illegal immigrants in France can vary from 300 000 to onemillion depending on the source. (7) Most of the immigrants live in big cities, such as Paris, Lyon orMarseille. Less than 1% of them live in Brittany. (8) Contrary to belief, the immigrants who ask to become French nationalsare younger and better educated than the average French person. (9) Some French people blame the immigrants for the rise in unemployment andcrime.(10) France is divided into 2 visions of society. On the one hand, those whoare scared of a future which includes more and more immigrants and on the otherhand those who think that welcoming immigrants is the only way forward.
Reply 244
Original post by kate_maria
Reading articles. Looking over vocab. Got one last past paper. Going over my notes for my cultural topics. You??

Vocab, planning essays, do some listenings of old papers and news etc
Reply 245
Original post by Toby912
anyone, natives can you translate to frnech

(1) After the war, the economic growth meantthat there were too few workers in France for the jobs available.(2) African countries provide a largeproportion of the immigrants who come to live and work in France.(3) At first, the French workers were only too pleased to allow theimmigrants to take on the jobs nobody wanted.(4) In recent years, the nationalities of immigrants allowed into Francehave changed. There have been more people from Eastern Europe and Asia (5) Foreigners living in France are entitled to the same right as Frenchpeople, for instance children schooling, social benefits, the right to strike… (6) The number of illegal immigrants in France can vary from 300 000 to onemillion depending on the source. (7) Most of the immigrants live in big cities, such as Paris, Lyon orMarseille. Less than 1% of them live in Brittany. (8) Contrary to belief, the immigrants who ask to become French nationalsare younger and better educated than the average French person. (9) Some French people blame the immigrants for the rise in unemployment andcrime.(10) France is divided into 2 visions of society. On the one hand, those whoare scared of a future which includes more and more immigrants and on the otherhand those who think that welcoming immigrants is the only way forward.

I'm pretty much bilingual and still very nervous for this part of the exam but I gave your translation my best shot and think this it's pretty much all right -

Après la guerre, la croissance économique signifiait qu'il y avait trop peu d'ouvriers en France pour les emplois disponibles. Les pays Africains fournissent une large proportion des immigrants qui viennent habiter et travailler en France. Au début, les ouvriers français n'étaient que trop heureux de permettre aux immigrés de prendre les emplois que personne ne voulait. Ces dernières année les nationalités des immigrés autorisés à entrer en France ont changé. Il y a eu plus des personnes de l’Europe de l’Est et de l’Asie. Les étrangers qui habitent en France bénéficient des mêmes droits que les Français, par exemple la scolarisation des enfants, les bénéfices sociaux, le droit de grève… Le nombre d’immigrés clandestins en France peut varier de 300,000 à un million, selon la source. La plupart des immigrés habitent dans les grandes villes telles que Paris, Lyon ou Marseille. Moins de 1% d’eux habitent en Bretagne. Contrairement à l’opinion générale, les immigrés qui demandent la nationalité française sont plus jeunes et mieux éduqués que le Français moyen. Quelques Français blâment les immigrés pour la croissance du chômage et du crime. La France est divisée en 2 visions de la société. D’une part, ceux qui ont peur d’un futur qui inclus de plus en plus d’immigrés et d’autre part ceux qui pensent qu’accueillir les immigrés est la seule façon de progresser.

Let me know if you have any questions, hope this is helpful :smile:
does anyone pleassse have film predictions??
Anyone else absolutely terrified for Monday?!
Reply 248
Original post by madshaidee
Anyone else absolutely terrified for Monday?!

ME!
Original post by Han24
ME!

It's what I want to do at University, and I know the papers going to be awful. I do Spanish too and it was the hardest paper AQA have done in years - I'm worried they will have done the same to French. Praying for a good essay question!
Reply 250
It's what I want to do at University, and I know the papers going to be awful. I do Spanish too and it was the hardest paper AQA have done in years - I'm worried they will have done the same to French. Praying for a good essay question!

I want to do it at uni too and I'm sososos worried! Oh no that probably means French will be the same :frown:
im supppppppppperrr scared for this exam mostly for the essay part, im so terrible with writing essays, i try so hard and cme out with e's. I have learnt L'etranger and Les choristes any last minute tips. Im legit hoping for like at least D in this exam, A2 was extremely difficult for me
Original post by RoseL1
I'm pretty much bilingual and still very nervous for this part of the exam but I gave your translation my best shot and think this it's pretty much all right -

Après la guerre, la croissance économique signifiait qu'il y avait trop peu d'ouvriers en France pour les emplois disponibles. Les pays Africains fournissent une large proportion des immigrants qui viennent habiter et travailler en France. Au début, les ouvriers français n'étaient que trop heureux de permettre aux immigrés de prendre les emplois que personne ne voulait. Ces dernières année les nationalités des immigrés autorisés à entrer en France ont changé. Il y a eu plus des personnes de l’Europe de l’Est et de l’Asie. Les étrangers qui habitent en France bénéficient des mêmes droits que les Français, par exemple la scolarisation des enfants, les bénéfices sociaux, le droit de grève… Le nombre d’immigrés clandestins en France peut varier de 300,000 à un million, selon la source. La plupart des immigrés habitent dans les grandes villes telles que Paris, Lyon ou Marseille. Moins de 1% d’eux habitent en Bretagne. Contrairement à l’opinion générale, les immigrés qui demandent la nationalité française sont plus jeunes et mieux éduqués que le Français moyen. Quelques Français blâment les immigrés pour la croissance du chômage et du crime. La France est divisée en 2 visions de la société. D’une part, ceux qui ont peur d’un futur qui inclus de plus en plus d’immigrés et d’autre part ceux qui pensent qu’accueillir les immigrés est la seule façon de progresser.

Let me know if you have any questions, hope this is helpful :smile:

Thanks so much!!, there are some things I did differently
(1) I said ''voulait dire'' qu'il y avait..
(2) fournissent ''une grande partie''
(3) I said ''Au premiere d'abord''.. and used ''personne n'a voulé''
(4) Dépuis les années récentes''.. and d'immigrés ''perims en France''..
(5) I used ''les bienfaits sociaux''...
(6) à l'inverse à la croyance,..
(9) ''certains des gens fancaise mettent la faute sur...'' and ''pour l'augmentation au chomage et la criminalité''
(10) End line I used ''est la seul facon d'avancer''...
Also in all cases for to live I used vivre instead of habiter

If you can tell me if these are acceptable thanks a lot!!

Do you know breifly what the spanish essay questions were on (eg themes or whatever)
If it's reassuring to anyone, the 101/110 A* boundary last year was unusually high; in years before that it was 95. That's still high, but it means that if you can get full marks on the listening and reading (which isn't impossible by any means) you only need 75% of the marks for the translation and essay to get an A*.
Reply 255
Any tips for preparing for writing?

Am doing une region francophone (la Cote d'Ivoire)

So far I'm learning essay phrases: some really useful ones here: http://www.realfrench.net/pdf/essay.pdf

But what I'm really worried about is getting the content marks, as they're made SO important for some reason. You can't any of the 5 mark language bands higher than the content band, which is out of 25.

So how do you make sure you get full marks in the content, and get all your analysis, evidence and evaluation on point (which is needed for that)?
Reply 256
If you are running out of translations to practice with, just translate texts from the German or Spanish past papers since they have the same topics etc. Only thing is you don't really have a mark scheme for it but it is good for practice.
Reply 257
Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the content marks in the essays - it is so important for the writing. I know you have to analyse, evaluate and give evidence, but how exactly do you guys do that?
Original post by naao
Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the content marks in the essays - it is so important for the writing. I know you have to analyse, evaluate and give evidence, but how exactly do you guys do that?

I know it's very GCSE, but you can't really go wrong with the PEEP acronym: Point, evidence, explanation, personal reaction. If you do that systematically you can't not get good marks.

For example if I said:

Jeunet's use of colour is very important in creating a quirky and nostalgic atmosphere. This can be seen in the scene where Amelie helps the blind man to cross the road, where Jeunet's use of saturated colours and quick camera action give a frantic and bright appearance to the scene. This use of colour allows us as an audience to understand the positive nature of Amelie's actions and reflect Amelie's good spirit and positive view on life. I find that this scene instantly changes my mood instantly as people are so influenced by the visuals on the screen, and for me this scene is a magic depiction of Jeunet's surrealist take on modern day life.

If you follow this pattern and do it methodically it helps you to hit every point on the markscheme. The examiners are basically looking for, in terms of content, you to understand what the question is asking (ie always relate back to the question), and then show you have ideas about whatever you are studying, have examples you can draw from, and have developed personal reactions to the events.
Original post by The Lord
If it's reassuring to anyone, the 101/110 A* boundary last year was unusually high; in years before that it was 95. That's still high, but it means that if you can get full marks on the listening and reading (which isn't impossible by any means) you only need 75% of the marks for the translation and essay to get an A*.

Last year's grade boundaries were ridiculous. My teacher has said that this year the exam may feel slightly different (may appear harder) due to them changing their assessment criteria slightly (only a tiny bit) which may make the paper more demanding. My teacher says that with this the grade boundaries should go down this year.

I hope she's correct- I need an A (an A* would be nice though) and god forbid I'm going to need to gain 93 just for an A when it previous years it was below 90.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending