The Student Room Group

Would you be happy on 40k per year as your final salary?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. I'd rather have less money and enjoy my job than more and hate it. Plus, my household income growing up was less than 15K so to me, anything over that is good and anything 30K+ would give me a comfortable way of life.
40k after tax - yes

40k before tax - hell no
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Yes. I'd rather have less money and enjoy my job than more and hate it. Plus, my household income growing up was less than 15K so to me, anything over that is good and anything 30K+ would give me a comfortable way of life.

My feelings exactly:smile:
I'd be happy with 20k a year 40k would be an insane amount of money! I'm an excellent saver and never want kids so it'd be an incredibly generous amount for me and I'd be very grateful to have a job that paid that amount!
Original post by J-SP
Your mocking is pretty pathetic and clearly unfounded. But I'm sure you will continue for no reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah i've given up now. Good day.
Some perspective:

For men and women without a degree, earnings increased for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 30 and peaking at £19,400 at the age of 34.
For those with a degree, earnings increased faster for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 35 and peaking at £34,500 at the age of 51.

that covers all degrees.
I think there is something in wanting to do at least as well as your own parents. To not be able to meet the lifestyle in which you've grown up is, IMO, disappointing.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Some perspective:

For men and women without a degree, earnings increased for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 30 and peaking at £19,400 at the age of 34.
For those with a degree, earnings increased faster for each year of age, levelling off at the age of 35 and peaking at £34,500 at the age of 51.

that covers all degrees.

I don't understand, I thought around 35k was the average STARTING salary for grads?
Original post by Brubeckian
I don't understand, I thought around 35k was the average STARTING salary for grads?

No.. All depends on degree, job type and institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not all about money.

If I enjoy the job, yes. If not, no.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Some perspective:

that covers all degrees.

Are those figures just from graduate roles/certain industries or do they take into account people who have a degree but rise up the ladder so to speak.

You're kidding, right?
Original post by TurboCretin
You're kidding, right?

Obviously.

Even though you were joking, it probably is for top courses at top universities (either that or I'm hanging around with a very skewed subset of people on my course).
Original post by Rakas21
Are those figures just from graduate roles/certain industries or do they take into account people who have a degree but rise up the ladder so to speak.

Covers all industries and just from graduates. And it takes into account all years and all promotions etc.
Original post by lewif002
There are overtime opportunities

No company car or equivalent perks..

£800 bonus per year at Christmas

£40,000 flat rate. Monday-Friday 8-4.30. On call one week out of 5 but obviously if called in overtime applies at 1.4x for weekdays and 2x for weekends.

Would this be enough for you to settle down? Or how much are you really aiming for as your final salary? This 40k situation is achieved after working at the company for 8-10 years so would be achieved around the age of 30 and then could be at 40k until you retire, with a decent - ish private & public pension.

What's your thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gonna take a stab in the dark here but is this NHS? Looks like the terms and conditions and career progression of a Band 7 AHP (Physio, OT, Social Worker) under the Agenda for Change.

£21,000 starting for us in Physiotherapy. If you're lucky enough to get a job...

And we're probably better off than most but I have no idea.
Original post by DK_Tipp
£21,000 starting for us in Physiotherapy. If you're lucky enough to get a job...

And we're probably better off than most but I have no idea.

How do you mean "lucky enough"? I just did a physio placement and loved it - seriously considering it as a career but I'm obviously concerned about job prospects? Are there not many jobs out there for physios? I spoke to someone who said there's more chance of work in the community but I prefer the hospital environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously.

Sorry, difficult to tell on this site sometimes.
some more quick statistics, we have 29m workers in total approx 2-3 million unemployed we have 3.9m paying 40% tax bracket (over 42k income) and we have 8m workers based in London!

So those on 40k are quite privileged to say the least especially those outside of London!

even if all were based in London (they're not) less than 50% would earn 40k essentially.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending