The Student Room Group

Share your veggie recipes here for National Vegetarian Week!

To celebrate National Vegetarian Week let's get together (veggies and carnivores alike) to share our vegetarian recipes!

Personally I eat meat but I experimented with a vegetarian week a few months ago and found it cheaper and even felt more energetic! However, it did require more planning which is where your recipes come in!

The best recipes will be published in an article for the newsletter on Friday so post up any pictures of your final creations alongside your recipe!

HAPPY VEGETARIAN WEEK EVERYBODY!!!

Scroll to see replies

My recipe is a sweet potato, halloumi and green bean risotto.

Preheat oven to 200c
Peel and cube your sweet potato
Pop in a casserole dish with olive oil, a pinch of salt and a dusting of paprika
With the lid on the casserole dish pop the sweet potato in the oven- dependent on the efficiency of your oven this will need 50-60 minutes to cook with a couple of stirs to make sure it doesn't stick every 20 minutes.

Work out when to start your risotto. Different risottos can take different amounts of time and you can also buy microwave risotto. Personally I used dry risotto and cook like this:
Fry red onion in a pan with a dash of hot oil for a couple of minutes
Add the risotto and cook for a minute or two until slightly clear
Pour in 200 ml of white wine and let it bubble down
Reduce the heat and add 200ml of vege stock or boiling water
Let this simmer until reduced down (keep stirring!)
Repeat this step 3/4 times until risotto is soft without crunch (amount of liquid needed can vary so continue to taste throughout)
Add a pinch of salt and stir
Remove from heat and throw a chunk of butter into the pan- stir this in and then cover the pan with a plate or lid for 2 minutes.

Halloumi and green beans:

These are both fried and usually only take a few minutes
First cube the halloumi and chop the green beans
Heat some oil in a frying pan and when hot throw in the halloumi
After a minute throw in the green beans- continue for a few minutes until halloumi is turning golden (also taste test).

Once everything is cooked, dish out the risotto into a bowl and then add the sweet potato, halloumi and green beans.

Enjoy!
Original post by Queen Cersei
To celebrate National Vegetarian Week let's get together (veggies and carnivores alike) to share our vegetarian recipes!

Personally I eat meat but I experimented with a vegetarian week a few months ago and found it cheaper and even felt more energetic! However, it did require more planning which is where your recipes come in!

The best recipes will be published in an article for the newsletter on Friday so post up any pictures of your final creations alongside your recipe!

HAPPY VEGETARIAN WEEK EVERYBODY!!!

That resturant we went to :coma:
Reply 3
My recipe is a peeled carrot:

Get a carrot
Get a peeler
Peel the carrot with the peeler
Eat Carrot
Finish eating carrot
Go sit in a hutch
Be a rabbit

Remember to tell everyone you're a vegetarian because you don't think killing animals is right

Enjoy!
(edited 8 years ago)
http://bffvegan.com/2015/05/18/chickpea-courgette-curry-vegan/ A beautiful recipe for a vegan curry! This is a great thread, brilliant work!
Happy Veggie Week!
...just saying, the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle is one of the best ways of helping our planet in terms of reducing global warming, etc. Hopefully more people will start to reduce their meat consumption as a result of this week :smile:
I personally love this vegetarian chilli stuffed peppers recipe from the BBC site: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chilli-stuffed-peppers-feta-topping
Im a vegan and my recipe is for blueberry muffins :smile:

1 cup brown rice flour

2-3 tbsp coconut oil

1/2 cup maple syrup

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 8 tbsp water

1/8 tsp baking soda

1 cup blueberries

Bake at 180C
Anything with couscous, that stuff is magic. Also, lentil dahl is godlike. Here's a recipe from BBC Food :biggrin:
Reply 9
I like to make fajitas with cut up strips of southern fried quorn burgers instead of chicken pieces. Cheap, and tasty once you add all the extras like cooked onion and peppers, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
I'm not a vegetarian but does anyone know the recipe to that burger/avocado combo in the thread picture? Looks pretty tasty :tongue:
Not my own recipe but I love this vegan food youtube channel. I loooooove vegan tacos :biggrin:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6a819Vt_LOg[/video]
I'd also love the recipe to the thread photo of the avocado burger!!
Reply 13
Woo, vegetarian week. :biggrin:

Personally I think vegetarianism is actually really easy - I don't put any planning into it at all. Literally zero. I just look at what's in my cupboards and put stuff together.

Yesterday I had pasta with Mediterranean vegetables and cherry tomatoes with tomato and garlic sauce. Topped with mozzarella of course. Super easy to put together.

Another favourite of mine is just beans on toast. Seeded wholemeal bread, beans with habañero and black pepper, topped with cheddar and mozzarella. Super easy, super quick and super tasty, plus it's actually pretty nutritionally balanced as well.

For the first couple of years as a vegetarian I used a lot of meat-replacement like Quorn diced chicken. I hardly had to change my go-to meals at all - I'd just stick that in instead of real meat. But the longer I've been vegetarian, the more I've thought it's completely unnecessary - just stuff it full of vegetables, mushrooms, greens, etc.

Seriously, vegetarianism is not as difficult as it might look. :smile:
Reply 14
Has anyone got an interesting high protein veggie meal? For example I use loads of beans like kala chan, chick peas, butter beans, rosecoco beans and usually put them through brown rice with fried onion, which is a decent source of protein from vegetables alone. I use a lot of cruciferous veggies too, like broccoli, kale, spinach etc. all of which are also good sources of protein. I'm looking for something new though, be it new high protein vegetables or just a new recipe.
Original post by CoBu
Has anyone got an interesting high protein veggie meal? For example I use loads of beans like kala chan, chick peas, butter beans, rosecoco beans and usually put them through brown rice with fried onion, which is a decent source of protein from vegetables alone. I use a lot of cruciferous veggies too, like broccoli, kale, spinach etc. all of which are also good sources of protein. I'm looking for something new though, be it new high protein vegetables or just a new recipe.

Peanuts
Almonds
Asparagus
Quinoa
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
lol! Thanks.. I'm not a vegetarian so steak is definitely on the menu. I have mixed nuts, almonds and seeds quite a lot, particularly pumpkin seeds, but they are difficult to incorporate into a meal so I usually have them as a snack. I'm mostly looking for new meal recipes really.
I sprinkle just a bit of sage and coriander upon my quorn fillets, just to change things up a bit, y'know?
Reply 18
A really good snack is to:

- cut up courgettes in to thin strips
- toss them in a little oil, salt & pepper
- toast them in a grill pan
- roast some red peppers
- smooth goats cheese over the courgette strips
- top with strips of red pepper
- roll up and enjoy!
Original post by CoBu

One of the most protein rich foods for vegans that is used in a lot of meat substitutes is seitan (wheat gluten).
Seitan BBQ ribs are SO GOOD, something like this recipe:
http://www.baked-in.com/2014/06/30/vegan-barbecue-ribs/

Quick Reply

Latest