The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Well there's always the exceptions. What made you pick your college?
Acaila
Well there's always the exceptions. What made you pick your college?

I do PPE - Balliol is PPE.
Reply 42
deianra
Economics and Management.

First choice - Merton (no, honestly... :tongue: So I may be ever so slightly mad, mmm?)

- Excellent location
- Three year accommodation
- Strong academically - don't mind pressure. I have a work hard, play hard ethos, one of those people who don't sleep and do work at 2 a.m. in the morning as running and being involved in various clubs and societies for the rest of the day...I like a hectic lifestyle.
- An old college and pretty (I'm superficial, so sue me :wink: )
- Small-medium size (friendly, intimate atmosphere?)
- Healthy intake for my subject. I liked St John's but they had 1 E&M student per year, New and Univ were high on my shortlist until I found out they both only had 2 E&Mists/-ers (?) per year.

So we get Merton. I'm fairly happy with my decision.

Merton eh?! You are aiming high! I heard you never see those guys, they're always locked away working :biggrin:
Reply 43
Acaila
Ah right sorry :biggrin:
What are you studying? And what made you pick Trinity?

Have an offer for Econ. Picked Trinity because:

Big
Liked the architecture
Accomodation
Reputation (after all you might as well aim for the top)
Had the best open day out of the ones i went to in terms of how friendly the students were and how welcoming the tutors were
Reply 44
deianra
He got the highest double first in Oxford (and I idolise him) doing E&M. Went to Merton. :smile:

Well I'm sure if anyone can beat that, it'll be you!
Reply 45
That's the spirit :smile: You can do it, and don't let those ASs stress you out :wink:
Reply 46
deianra
Ta for the vote of confidence :smile: I'm stressed out enough about my ASs, let alone worrying about Oxford admissions and whatnot. Sigh.

Anyway, he (E&M God) is amazing, based on what I've read. One can only hope to be even as good as well, his shadow.

But hey, try your hardest and reach for the highest and the near impossible. Enough ambition and determination normally equal success. I'll get there someday (fingers crossed + lots of hard work, et cetera).

I'm sure you will! How are all your exams going at the mo? In line for the highest marks in the country for all of your subjects :biggrin:
Reply 47
deianra
Anyway. I figured if I get 100% in P1 and S1, my diabolical M1 mark won't matter! Do you think Merton will accept "I broke up with my boyfriend the day before" as an excuse? Because it was true, to be honest :rolleyes:

Acaila - thanks for the support, dear! :smile: I'll try my hardest, if only for you and the rest of the UKL-ers :tongue:

You won't need an excuse for it so don't worry :smile:. {sings} Always look on the bright side of life!
Reply 48
I'm sure you'll do brilliantly! You probably worried like this about your GCSEs too! If you did 10 ASs you'd probably get 10 A's! Anyway, I thought the German writing was hideous, 2nd q was ok, but the one on Binnenmarkts stumped me completely. I rambled about the Euro, but I think that was wrong! And oh dear, sorry to hear about your bf :frown:
Reply 49
deianra
He got the highest double first in Oxford (and I idolise him) doing E&M. Went to Merton. :smile:
Not quite good enough for a First with Distinction then?
Reply 50
Acaila
The last person to get into Oxbridge from my school was 5 years ago! Think yourself lucky :biggrin:
So what kinda college do you want to go to? Big/small? Old/new etc.? Girls only (I assume with all this fairy stuff you're a girl :biggrin: Sorry if you're not :biggrin:)/ or with lots of blokes?

yes, i am indeed a girl! Don't really mind as long as its not 2 far out of town, and def not girls only :wink: i like the old colleges, bricks ok (like robinson :smile: ) but dont like concrete. T'wud be good if it had good music facilities but most of them have i think. Its hard to decide, of course everyone promotes their own college.
Reply 51
deianra
Well, couldn't remember what Auswirkungen meant :redface: (okay, okay, shush).
So rambled on about Erasmus programme, but couldn't think of any cons for it...oh dear gods, it was awful. Second essay okay, but couldn't they have given us recycling?! Meh :frown:

Sorry to sound really stupid, what is the Erasmus programme? Do you have any idea what we were actually meant to write about? For the second one I just went on about alternative energy types, probably too much! :frown: I'm going to fail that paper so badly, listening and reading probs wasn't much better :frown::frown: And for some reason, no word limit for the writing, what was that about?!
Reply 52
deianra
I know!!! I wrote two pages on Atomic energy and my favourite part was, "but the real cost of atomic energy is not financial - it is in the danger and risk to our lives." :tongue: Anyway, I only talked about alternative energy for two sentences, because I hadn't really revised it.

Erasmus programme - sending a student to study in a university in another EU member state for one year. It said the 'biggest advantage' - singular, so I thought maybe they'd penalise you like they did last time, if you went on about too many things? I wish I did the Euro! :frown: But I wasn't sure if it was included...damn damn.

Anyway. I think we've hijacked the thread. Come on everyone, I want to know who I can see at Oxford interviews in October!

I'm going to hijack it a bit more! Heh. I'm sure you did brilliantly. But what did the actual question mean? It was the mention of 'Binnenmarkts' which threw me off, I mentioned studying abroad too, but I was worried that was wrong, 'cos Binnenmarkts just made me think about money financial stuff you know! Sigh.
Reply 53
Oh and deianra, I won't be at the Oxford interview, but if you change your mind and become a Tab, I'll see you there! :biggrin:
Reply 54
deianra
Binnenmarkt - interior market. Something like 'what was the main consequence of the introduction of the European interior market?'

To me, that's mainly trade? :frown: But the source was rambling on about studying and elections! I hadn't even looked at the green book before, so spent 20 minutes reading it and 15 minutes writing the entire essay!

I don't care, my other essay is lover-ly :biggrin: Yes. 54/90 isn't bad.

Nothing we can do now anyway! As long as I get 300 in my beloved Economics, I'm ok :biggrin:
Reply 55
deianra
If I may quote, "I'd rather be a leper than a Tab." :tongue:

Okay, so I did seriously consider Pembroke Economics. But then I realised I loved Management. What was I thinking - Cambridge?!
Merton is where it's at. I'm going to make Merton cool, baby. :tongue:

(Possibly impossible. But never mind).

Oi! Tabs are the best! Trinity with me, come come come :smile: Heh.
Reply 56
Suzy_vet
Emmanuel.

Wow, the college scar is blue and pink! That is so cool. My ambition is to own an emma college scarf.

So buy one :smile: When you come up, obviously. Not before, that would be lame and stupid.

deianra
If I may quote, "I'd rather be a leper than a Tab."

Some people clearly have no taste. :rolleyes: Ellie - we don't call ourselves Tabs. We leave that to the scum. :tongue:
Reply 57
Helenia
Ellie - we don't call ourselves Tabs. We leave that to the scum. :tongue:

Hehe I know, I just know deianra likes Oxford, so that'd only be what she calls you anyway!
Reply 58
Ellie4
Hehe I know, I just know deianra likes Oxford, so that'd only be what she calls you anyway!

Meh - like I care. We don't need to name call when we're secure in our superiority. :wink:

I went to Oxford today actually, was ok. Watched lots of boatie men...
deianra
If I may quote, "I'd rather be a leper than a Tab." :tongue:

Other classics hits include "I'd rather be jo public than a Tab" and "I'd rather be a Rudeboy than a Tab".

You can't sing them until you get here though; same goes for college colours, you can wear them when you get here, but not before. And Tabs could called us Oxonians, but we call ourselves that so it wouldn't work. Cambridge copy almost everything from Oxford anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending